Any other places doing "Hospital Employees' Week" instead of Nurses' Week?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Apparently nurses get too much attention or something.

Hospital weeks here too..gotta give the management a chance to share in the celebration. Yay for a free pen or pen light..I got car cleaning kit bag one year but it was just the bag with hospital name on it..no cleaning supplies..just a empty bag with hospital logo.

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.
both hospitals I have worked for in the past has ALWAYS done hospital week instead of nurses week. so much so, I don't even know when nurses week is anymore. lol

It's during the same week that they celebrate Hospital Week, most likely.

Hospital weeks here too..gotta give the management a chance to share in the celebration. Yay for a free pen or pen light..I got car cleaning kit bag one year but it was just the bag with hospital name on it..no cleaning supplies..just a empty bag with hospital logo.

How did they get "Car Cleaning Kit" out of that?

My favorite was when someone on here mentioned that their hospital administration decided that "Nurses Week" was a time for nurses to "give back" to others. They wanted nurses to volunteer for projects that help other people and to agree to use the money they would have spent on nurses week to give a donation to a worthy cause "in the name of the nurses at XYZ hospital." Even if we have a week, we have to give to others, not bask in appreciation for what we do every day of the year.

Not sure..we all got a kick out of it..it is a fold up type cheap car kit box meant as organizer for cleaning stuff or such. Got no cleaning supplies or car tools with it just empty. I gave mine away as I did most everything we got. It was small to medium sized hospital where I was staff many moons ago. They used to have nurses week..they feed us and thanked us..now they have hospital week and mostly it is management patting themselves on the back.

Before I left they had hospital week but closed off a small section of dining room and had it catered in for management when rest of us ate cafeteria food (wow, pissed people off..it was great). It was the embodiment of what is wrong with healthcare..they couldn't figure out why retention was so bad either. They also did away with clinical pay ladders, extra shift bonuses. My friend who works there still said they are using agency more and more...they also are transitioning to a more corporate management structure "to better serve the community"..they bought a small community hospital an hour away and basically shut it down. Now it is an ER that feeds patients and elderly to larger hospital.

We collectively asked for higher pay and our DON along with management said it was up to us to find a way to be more satisfied within ourselves and monetary concerns were not up for discussion. They said hospital could not afford it...two weeks later it was released in the local paper that the hospital had bought another hospital for millions of dollars. Yea, they lost 25% of staff after that..ah hospital politics and greed..never ending story.

Ah that is a nice way to use others for free labor and PR for hospital all the while masking it as good will!

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
I got car cleaning kit bag one year but it was just the bag with hospital name on it..no cleaning supplies..just a empty bag with hospital logo.

How did they get "Car Cleaning Kit" out of that?

Klone, I love you, but: "DUH"!

Specializes in Specializes in L/D, newborn, GYN, LTC, Dialysis.

Nothing being done where I work. Never is.

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
Nothing being done where I work. Never is.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26850[/ATTACH]

The last place I worked, an allergy clinic with over 200 employees and several locations, didn't even acknowledge nurse's week and nurses were 85% of the entire staff. My current employer gave nurses a beach towel and a computer-printed certificate. It doesn't really bother me one way or the other.

Back in my day , we had nurse's week. We got treats in the cafeteria, massages .. and were treated like the special peeps we are.

Then it also became housekeeping week, etc. Then we weren't acknowledged at all.

Bottom line is.. administration does not appreciate the work that we do.

Bottom line is.. administration does not appreciate the work that we do.

Sadly, I'm beginning to believe that is the case. They keep telling the managers that the workforce is the biggest variable expense in the hospital, and nurses are the biggest part of a hospital workforce, so...

+ Add a Comment