Lock Down Diabectic Action Plan

Specialties School

Published

Does anyone have something in place for their Diabetic student(s) during a lock down. I am working on putting something into place for TD1 kiddo. I have already spoke to his parents and my administration and everyone agrees this is an area that needs to be addressed. I had mom provide zipplock bags with juice (for a quick carb), a low carb snack that would not require correction and a bottle of water. I will be distributing these to his teacher and all of his special area teacher. They already have information about his diabetes, symptoms and what to do in a normal situation. I want to give them instructions for the ER bag in the event of a lock down and they will be instructed to call 911 in the event of a potential diabetic ER and give them specific information about the student, the lock down and their exact location on the campus. I am in the process of typing something up, but thought I would get input and see if any of you already something in place. I don't want to miss anything and have all bases covered. Once I get things in order at my campus, I will then be sharing it with the rest of the district.

I am in elementary k-5. Our district does allow diabetics to carry or keep own supplies on them during the school day - the parents and school nurse will work together as far as when the student needs to come to see the nurse. More independent care is really done at the middle & high school level.

I only have one T1D at this point. He has a small utility tote that goes everywhere he goes. It contains his meter and test strips, juice, smarties, cake icing, glucagon. His classroom has water and snacks.

Specializes in school nursing, ortho, trauma.

elementary students generally have a little box in their classroom. The t1d students in MS who change classes q period tend to carry something with them. They all tend to have pumps and cgm's too, so carrying their cell phones and a small bag is permitted for them if needed, though if they didn't, i'd say pretty much every staff member has something stashed in their desks.

I am PS-8th, but my one TD1 is in second grade. We used to let the junior high kids carry their meter and its supplies along with snacks/juice. They sit carry the snack/juice, but we had an 8th grader at one of the other schools who was checking all of her friends BG using the same lancet... that ruined it for all of the older TD1's district wide.

Specializes in School nursing.
What age range are we talking about here? It was a tough battle, but I finally got them to allow my son to carry his meter/lancets, insulin, and some glucose tablets with him.

All of the students I work with do this. I work with grades 7-12.

But even when I worked upper elementary, students still carried their glucometer, insulin, lancets, and glucose tabs with them. They work come to my office for glucose checks and proper carb coverage, of course, and I have a back up meter, insulin, lancets, and glucose tabs in my office just in case as well.

Specializes in Cardiology, School Nursing, General.

This is something that I didn't think of, I like it! I'll tell my admin about this to see what we can do!

Specializes in OR, peds, PALS, ICU, camp, school.

We added glucose tablets (they never expire) to each Go bag in each building. Each classroom contains them as we never know where a student might be- homeroom, "special", or pulled into the closest room from the hall. (those already contain hammers to break windows, rope, foil blankets, a tiny first aid kit, whistle, flashlight, playing cards, pad and pencil, masks, tissues, glow sticks. They came pre-packed. I guess cards are for a flee and wait situation? We also take them on fire drills. We are checked! I've added basic student info, crackers, water, a bigger first aid kit, and juice to ours. We also take our trauma first aid bag with some meds on drills.)

Specializes in Neuro ICU and Med Surg.

My son's school has no nurse. We do have a student advocate/secretary that checks his sugar and give his insulin at lunch time. Our lockdown plan has a bag in the office with a juice box, 4 glucose tabs, package of peanut butter crackers, and applesauce in it. There is also the same bag in his classroom, the media room (computers), the library, the gym, with his speech therapist, and I believe I left a few extra bags in the school. He keeps his glucometer in the office since we have one dedicated to the school. There are also extra juice boxes in the office as well.

Specializes in Telemetry, Gastroenterology, School Nrs.

Thank you for posting this! I honestly had never really considered what we would do if we are ever in a lockdown situation.

What age range are we talking about here? It was a tough battle, but I finally got them to allow my son to carry his meter/lancets, insulin, and some glucose tablets with him.

My diabetic students also keep their supplies with them (7th and 8th grade).

I keep a stash of juice/tabs in my office, but it's mostly because there was a student last year who was non-compliant and never had any supplies.

+ Add a Comment