Family Member Watching Pro-terror/ Anti-America/ Anti-Semitic video

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Would love to know your thoughts.

A coworker was stunned to go into a room and find a parent watching an pro-terrorism, anti-America, anti-Semitic video. Allegedly, it was calling for the destruction of the president, America, Jews. She was horrified at the content and even more so horrified that the parent was watching in front of the child, and didn't seem to care if she heard.

She called Risk Management who said there was nothing to do, because it would be a violation of HIPAA.

I felt DCS should have been called because it is emotionally abusive to subject a child to hate speech. (we're talking actual hate speech, here). She was going to consult with a social worker on this aspect.

I also suggested she make an anonymous FBI and/or Homeland Security tip.

Please discuss.

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

If you see something, say something...I'd call the local non emergency police number first and go from there.

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).

Off the top of my head, sugarmagnolia, and even though I disagree with what the patient was watching, I am a nurse paid to provide a service and am paid not to judge another's beliefs.

The question to whether the child watching the video was a type of abuse is relative.

Specializes in ICU, LTACH, Internal Medicine.

Agree with Davey, but I was in just such situations more than once and, except the time when I was very new and in very abusive environment, asked to remove me from care of this patient immediately because I did not feel safe and comfortable to provide care for him/her.

Specializes in school nurse.

HIPAA doesn't cover the family member's behavior. Once again, HIPAA seems to be used as an excuse for inaction..

You were in situations more than once, where you walked in to find a parent watching terror videos, encouraging violence in front of a minor child? So you didn't feel safe, but were not concerned about the safety of the patient? I'm not sure if you read my actual post.

I understand what you are trying to say, however I'm also paid to protect my patients, and I think subjecting children to hate speech is actual abuse (actual hate speech, not outrage culture hate speech). Also, I didn't actually judge their beliefs. I just said it should be reported to the appropriate channels. For all you know, I share their beliefs and watch the same kind of videos. (I don't, actually, but I refrained from posting judgement).

Specializes in Critical Care.

What you're describing could easily apply to the media sources a large portion of the population utilizes, are you saying it would be reasonable for us to investigate all of these people for criminal charges?

Would love to know your thoughts.

A coworker was stunned to go into a room and find a parent watching an pro-terrorism, anti-America, anti-Semitic video. Allegedly, it was calling for the destruction of the president, America, Jews. She was horrified at the content and even more so horrified that the parent was watching in front of the child, and didn't seem to care if she heard.

She called Risk Management who said there was nothing to do, because it would be a violation of HIPAA.

I felt DCS should have been called because it is emotionally abusive to subject a child to hate speech. (we're talking actual hate speech, here). She was going to consult with a social worker on this aspect.

I also suggested she make an anonymous FBI and/or Homeland Security tip.

Please discuss.

I "watch" a lot of things that don't reflect my personal beliefs. I'm also not a big believer in over-sheltering children, but prefer to discuss both positive and negative things with them. From your post, I'm not sure there's enough information for me to make a personal judgement call about this parent.

Regardless of whether you agree with it, or what you think of it, the family can watch whatever they wish. And no, it's not abuse.

It always amazes me how much we, as a society agree with and support free speech; as long as we agree with what is being said.

I "watch" a lot of things that don't reflect my personal beliefs. I'm also not a big believer in over-sheltering children, but prefer to discuss both positive and negative things with them. From your post, I'm not sure there's enough information for me to make a personal judgement call about this parent.

It's a good point. I refrained from posting more detail for a variety of reasons. But the child was not definitely old enough to have discourse about the topic.

Specializes in NICU.
Allegedly, it was calling for the destruction of the president, America, Jews.
This is a daily occurrence by the commentators on CNN and MSNBC. Their entire network revolves around the destruction of our president since his election.
+ Add a Comment