Would you have gone to nursing school....

Nurses General Nursing

Published

If you knew your career would take its current path?

I have been working in an SNF for almost 2 years and, I'll admit, if I knew this was going to happen, I probably wouldn't have gone to nursing school. The only job offers I've ever received are from SNFs and home health care, neither of which I had in mind when I signed up for nursing school. But no other opportunities have presented themselves, which makes me wonder if nursing school was worth it, at least for me. Seems like people either have great luck or no luck at all when it comes to job. Anyways, I'm disappointed. What about you? Was nursing school worth it?

If you knew your career would take its current path?

I have been working in an SNF for almost 2 years and, I'll admit, if I knew this was going to happen, I probably wouldn't have gone to nursing school. The only job offers I've ever received are from SNFs and home health care, neither of which I had in mind when I signed up for nursing school. But no other opportunities have presented themselves, which makes me wonder if nursing school was worth it, at least for me. Seems like people either have great luck or no luck at all when it comes to job. Anyways, I'm disappointed. What about you? Was nursing school worth it?

To answer your question no I would have chosen a career probably in something computer or technology related. But I'm curious...what is the nurse to pt ratio at your SNF?

No if I had known what it was like I wouldn't have done it. I've never really enjoyed being a nurse, it's way too stressful and we are overworked and treated like crap! I'm only glad I didn't do it right out of high school because I worked a half a dozen jobs before nursing and only one was bad, all the rest were ok and one was the best job I ever had. Sad to say that at least I can remember when I used to enjoy a job!

Not to say I didn't take pride in being a nurse, I did and took the job very seriously and did my best and I know I've made a difference in people's lives even saved a couple, but it just hasn't been worth the physical and emotional toll on my health. The company that runs my hospital is the devil I swear and I almost walked off the job last night I was so furious at being put in an unsafe situation. I'm just so sick and tired of nursing and wish I could afford to quit and never look back!

Amen!

Specializes in Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner.

Definitely worth it! But it did take me a while to realize the awesomeness of being a nurse.

I started out as a LPN working in a SNF in long term care and, to be quite honest, I was miserable. Many times I felt like throwing in the towel.

Luckily, I had some good support and motivation from other fellow nurses to not give up and keep going forward.

So I decided to stick with the nursing home gig while going for my BSN. After I got my BSN I immediately landed a new job as a RN in the new field of psychiatry. That change is what did it for me. It opened up a whole new world of nursing and possibilities.

Don't give up and keep pushing forward. Something is bound to open up for you.

I am now almost finished with my MSN to become a PMHNP and plan to open up my own practice while exploring other business opportunities.

Best of luck to you!

Specializes in oncology, MS/tele/stepdown.

If I could do it over again I would not choose nursing. That being said, I like the flexibility I have to explore different options within nursing that might fit me better. I may feel differently when I've found my niche. And if a new career means going back to school I'll probably be a nurse forever!

Specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.

Absolutely. I love my specialty and am well situated with my employer.

That being said, this did not just fall into my lap. I worked hard during school to use all the connections at my disposal to get an acute care job on ICU stepdown despite having an ASN in a BSN-only market. ICU Stepdown prepared me very well to go into cardiac critical care, which I knew would keep doors open for other specialties, such as PACU or becoming a nurse practitioner or pursuing nurse anesthetist. While doing those things, I also went to school full time, first for BSN, figuring out I was most interested in education and then getting my MSN. In all I earned four degrees in seven years and moved jobs strategically both to increase my earnings but also my exposure to individuals and career trajectories that would get me where I am now. I started nursing school at 39 and knew I didn't have 15 years to spend at the bedside before going onward and upward. I hit it hard. It was exhausting and frustrating and angst-ridden.....and very worth it to me. I cannot imagine NOT being a nurse. That being said, I can empathize with those who are disillusioned. Nursing is broken. I hope it gets fixed in my lifetime.

Specializes in orthopedic/trauma, Informatics, diabetes.

I would have started earlier! I am a second (third) career

Specializes in LTC, assisted living, med-surg, psych.

If I'd known my career would crash and burn the way it did, I might not have gone into nursing in the first place. But in a way I'm glad I didn't know, because I had some awesome experiences and wish more of them were in my present and future. I met some great (and not so great) people; worked with some of the finest nurses, doctors, and other providers anywhere; had the privilege of seeing things very few outside the medical professions ever get to see. So yes, I'd have to say it was worth the investment of blood, sweat, and tears, even though nursing is tough and the folks who run things make work conditions unnecessarily harsh.

Specializes in psych.

I'm a second career person in nursing and I couldn't be happier! I got my nursing job before graduating school or passing my NCLEX. Once I did that, I've been at my job for the past two years. I have rough days, but overall my good days outweigh the hard days so it is worth it. I am happy I switched and I love the flexibility that I have now due to nursing.

I'm not happy with my career choice either.

I have 2+ years of experience (med-surg and OR). I don't think I can do this job for next 30 years, so I take classes for a master's degree (non-nursing) and work part time now.

I have a nurse friend (in her 20s) who had a back injury and left nursing. It's sad to know that she spent lots of money and time to be a nurse and her nursing career is already over. I have learned from this and prepare for the future. I will be completely out of nursing in three years.

I've had a long career in Home Health and I still love it. I'm in a position now to make things better for some people and I can't say that I want to be a part of anything else.

Specializes in Adult Primary Care.

YES, absolutely I would do it again. I had 20 years experience in the ICU / ER before going back for my NP. The only thing I would do differently is get my NP sooner. I do love the primary care role.

Specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.

Yes, I would, but then I have lived the kind of life that really makes you realize that life is what you make of it and happiness is a choice.

+ Add a Comment