Mandatory flu shots????

Nurses COVID

Published

It didn't dawn on me until just right now, don't ask me why, that my choice of NOT getting a flu shot will NOT get me into a nursing program. The director at my school of choice basically stated "it is a requirement that you receive one, however you can sign a declaration that you do not wish to receive one." Then I asked, "would that inhibit my chances of getting into the program?" She replied, "well, the facilities in which we work with it is required due to you working with elderly clients; If you do not wish to get the flu shot perhaps you should look into another career."

*****?? (excuse the language) I have worked in nursing homes, health centers, private duty, home health agencies, visiting nurses association, hospice AND THEY NEVER REQUIRED me to ever receive or even ASKED if I have obtained a flu shot!!! (mid 90's)

So, anyone please tell me my dream of becoming a nurse is already dead because I REFUSE to get a flu shot???!!! seriously??? I am so upset right now!!!

Specializes in Oncology.

And the vomiting dramatic spitting.

You need to see your PCP; three weeks of those symptoms is not a physiologic reaction to vaccination.

That was my first thought as well. Three weeks of those symptoms seem like a red flag to me that something else is going on. I'd suggest an appointment with that poster's PCP as well. Kinda scary.

The flu vaccine has NO live virus. You can't get the flu. You can get muscles aches and a mild fever as your antibodies ramp up to the injection. But that only lasts a day or two.

I've never had that reaction but I do hear people say all the time that the flu shot gave them the flu. Well, it is the season for viruses. And maybe that shopping cart handle or the doorknob or toilet handle or bathroom sink had a particular virus on it the day before or the day of your injection.

Google Flu Myths . . . as I'm sure most of you have.

...injected flu vaccines only contain dead virus, and a dead virus is, well, dead: it can't infect you. There is one type of live virus flu vaccine, the nasal vaccine, FluMist. But in this case, the virus is specially engineered to remove the parts of the virus that make people sick.

Despite the scientific impossibility of getting the flu from the flu vaccines, this widespread flu myth won't die. Experts suspect two reasons for its persistence. One, people mistake the side effects of the vaccine for flu. While side effects to the vaccine these days tend to be a sore arm, in the past, side effects often felt like mild symptoms of the flu. Two, flu season coincides with a time of year when bugs causing colds and other respiratory illnesses are in the air. Many people get the vaccine and then, within a few days, get sick with an unrelated cold virus. However, they blame the innocent flu vaccine, rather than their co-worker with a runny nose and cough.

Lol. "Expert." Uh, no.

Specializes in NICU, PICU, Transport, L&D, Hospice.
That was my first thought as well. Three weeks of those symptoms seem like a red flag to me that something else is going on. I'd suggest an appointment with that poster's PCP as well. Kinda scary.

The flu vaccine has NO live virus. You can't get the flu. You can get muscles aches and a mild fever as your antibodies ramp up to the injection. But that only lasts a day or two.

I've never had that reaction but I do hear people say all the time that the flu shot gave them the flu. Well, it is the season for viruses. And maybe that shopping cart handle or the doorknob or toilet handle or bathroom sink had a particular virus on it the day before or the day of your injection.

Google Flu Myths . . . as I'm sure most of you have.

You didn't seriously think that folks who have made up their mind about this vaccine are going to be swayed by facts, did you?

Specializes in Anesthesia.
You didn't seriously think that folks who have made up their mind about this vaccine are going to be swayed by facts, did you?

No, but pro-vaccine people need to be just as vocal as anti-vaccine people. That is really the point of a lot these discussions. People that do not have utter belief that the flu vaccine is bad can be swayed to at least look at the scientific evidence.

People have let the anti-vaccine movement be unchallenged for too long, and it is time for everyone to tell them wrong and challenge this belief system at every opportunity.

I really get where the pp is coming from. I did not get the vaccine for a long time--I can't give a reason why, exactly, other than I always thought my body could do the work.

Then I got the flu and thought I was gonna die. Literally. So I have gotten the vaccine since, with good results.

But this is about something different. I do NOT like the idea of my job hanging on if I get a shot or not. I do NOT like the idea of being forced to do anything. It is threatening, overbearing and makes me nuts.

With all that being said, nurses can and do get very suggestive over many things. So if no one is actually forcing you down and injecting you, they are definitely making it near impossible to do your job unless you get the vaccine (and they have really cool numbers to impress the big wigs with--but story for another thread) So, if in fact one is morally/ethically/religiously/whateverly against the vaccine, the power of suggestion is great, and yes, I can see some having multitudes of symptoms for weeks. The anti-placebo affect if you will.

I don't want the flu, I hate being ill, and it just plain stinks. However, I am even more appalled that I am given no other choice, I have to work, therefore, one of the conditions of said employment is to have a flu vaccine.

Adults should be able to decide on their own what is best for them. So it is the political bru-ha-ha that I am against more than the vaccine itself. If that makes sense. So to the pp with all the symptoms, go see your PCP. Find out exactly what is going on, and what you can do to fix it. Best wishes.

Specializes in Adult Internal Medicine.
I do NOT like the idea of my job hanging on if I get a shot or not. I do NOT like the idea of being forced to do anything. It is threatening, overbearing and makes me nuts.

I don't want the flu, I hate being ill, and it just plain stinks. However, I am even more appalled that I am given no other choice, I have to work, therefore, one of the conditions of said employment is to have a flu vaccine.

Adults should be able to decide on their own what is best for them.

So to the pp with all the symptoms, go see your PCP. Find out exactly what is going on, and what you can do to fix it. Best wishes.

You don't like being forced to do anything yet you also support a mandatory quarantine for HCWs treating Ebola patients, if I am not mistaken (from a spectate thread).

The flu shot does more than protect you from the flu; you have first hand experience with this. It also protects others, both in your car and in your community/household, that lack the ability to survive the illness you did.

The problem is exactly that: adults oft decide what is best "for them" not what is best, what science supports, or what is "right".

Absolutely, the pp should be further evaluated as those sx are more than a rxn to a flu shot.

Sent from my iPhone.

Specializes in Anesthesia.

Mandatory vaccination laws in the United States go back to 1801.Government Regulation â€" History of Vaccines

It is well established law that individual autonomy can be over ruled in favor of a proven public health concern.

Specializes in SICU, trauma, neuro.
So, anyone please tell me my dream of becoming a nurse is already dead because I REFUSE to get a flu shot???!!! seriously??? I am so upset right now!!!

The only reason your dream of becoming a nurse would be dead, is if you allowed it to die on this flu shot hill.

Specializes in Oncology; medical specialty website.
No, but pro-vaccine people need to be just as vocal as anti-vaccine people. That is really the point of a lot these discussions. People that do not have utter belief that the flu vaccine is bad can be swayed to at least look at the scientific evidence.

People have let the anti-vaccine movement be unchallenged for too long, and it is time for everyone to tell them wrong and challenge this belief system at every opportunity.

We could try humor:

Specializes in SICU, trauma, neuro.
We could try humor:

I should have worn a spit guard...my poor computer has juice all over it!! :roflmao:

We could try humor:

Oh my gosh . . . perfect! Shared on FB.:yes:

+ Add a Comment