Puerto Rico school feedback - thread #2

World US Territories

Published

Wow after 9 years and 1336 posts they closed our thread because it was too long.

The original thread and all the helpful posts can be found here:

https://allnurses.com/international-nursing/puerto-rico-school-28678.html

There are 134 pages in that thread but the last 130 pages were from 2010 and beyond and there is a ton of helpful info in there. Hopefully the current students will continue this thread as I graduate this month. Please try to read that thread at least a little bit before posting your questions here as it is very likely your question has been asked and answered on the other thread more than once.

Good luck on whatever path you choose!

Specializes in Medical and general practice now LTC.

Makes no difference which state you apply for the NCLEX is the same. Best thing to do is look at the state you plan on living and working in and seeing what requirements are

quik248 - did you apply online or via mail - I am having trouble on their website...

Yogi your answers rock! if you can PM sometime it would be great . Thank you! DZ

Moving to Puerto Rico tomorrow! Super excited, nervous and scared! I hope school registration and apartment hunting goes smoothly! :)

Veronica can you please PM the info on the police station and anything else that would be very important thank you. Your posts are really helping out.

dzcafe

Specializes in Geriatrics.
quik248 - did you apply online or via mail - I am having trouble on their website...

I applied online. What state are you from ?

Hi there,

I am interested in going for my adn or BSN in Porto Rico I was looking at the website but did not seems to find the requirement and admission deadline for those program. I graduated not to long ago with AA general studies, got my prerequisite done. If I could get those info I will greatly appreciate it. Thank you, good luck and congrats to those of u that made it already!

Gemtor I plan to start the program in Aug 2014 as well - I plan to visit the campus in April and register and then look for a place to rent in July. What are your plans? Someone started a thread for 2014 students in hopes to start a support group.

Hi there I am interested in going for my adn or BSN in Porto Rico I was looking at the website but did not seems to find the requirement and admission deadline for those program. I graduated not to long ago with AA general studies, got my prerequisite done. If I could get those info I will greatly appreciate it. Thank you, good luck and congrats to those of u that made it already![/quote']

Hello, there is no admission test like in the states as long as you have a GPA of 2.5 you are in. And if you already have an associate degree they might put you into the accelerated BSN program.

in regards the pre-requisites the US schools requires you should not worry about it, because the program has the science classes integrated with the nursing ones. So, if you already took your science courses they won't transfer them here; however, it is a plus to have take them because the nursing classes will be a bit easier for you.

I'll recommend you to apply for the February trimester and take any GE classes you have pending online so when you arrive for the August trimester you will come straight to the accelerated program. I believe if you have an associate already the only one they might ask you to take will be Christian faith and history of Puerto Rico.

Good luck!!!

Hi Quik248

You mentioned needing a GPA of 2.5. I thought it used to be 2.0 or higher? Do you know if they changed this requirement, and if so, how strict have they been on this?

Perhaps I'm remembering incorrectly too...

Thanks..

dzcafe I start taking online classes in Feb, the general courses. I'll be in the Island only for 2 years so I'm doing the associates and I'll do my BSN online later on. I should be in PR June or July. What are your plans?

I went through WI because they don't see PR as international. I took my test Oct. 2 and passed. Started endorsement papers oct. 9 and by the 21st I had my FL license.

Hi Quik248 You mentioned needing a GPA of 2.5. I thought it used to be 2.0 or higher? Do you know if they changed this requirement and if so, how strict have they been on this? Perhaps I'm remembering incorrectly too... Thanks..[/quote']

I don't know of this is new, but the curriculum now says GPA 2.5 or higher. I know some friend that didn't have the required GPA and they didn't let them start on August but until the November trimester with the authorisation of the directory. I guess the new the director is more strict; or at least is what other senior students says.

Also, California does not recognise PR as foreign school for the Nclex. I got that I from my friend who graduated last summer and apply directly to California without any problems.

+ Add a Comment