University of Phoenix MSN Program

Nursing Students School Programs

Published

:welcome:

I would like to use this thread for all of us attending or having attended UofP.

I am going to begin classes in August of this year in the MSN/ED program.

I would love to hear from different people who are in different stages of the program and what they have liked and hated.

I AM NOT INTERESTED IN HEARING FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE NOT GONE THROUGH THE PROGRAM AND ONLY WANT TO SAY BAD THINGS ABOUT THE SCHOOL.

I hope other U of P alumni will get involved and help us with any sticky situations that arise and offer their wisdom.

Thanks,

Specializes in Med Surg, ER, OR.

I am contemplating UoP vs a traditional BSN program d/t the flexibility of the program. I am looking forward in returning to this thread to see how others enjoy the coursework and I am very impressed with the comments already posted on here. I am looking forward in returning for advanced education, but I am eager to hear where other nurses are working who are UoP alumni.

If you don't mind posting, I am interested in hearing where UoP alumni are currently working (BSN or MSN).

bryan, congratulations!!! How was your NUR 590B? who was your instructor? I am about to take my practicum B. How was it?

Byran

I remember when you first posted, glad you finished. If you can go to the graduation they do it up nice.

Alex

Specializes in CV/CCU, Education,Stepdown cardiac, Tele.

I am starting the MSN program this September. I just finished my BSN three weeks ago through UoP. When I graduated I got to include 6 graduate credits towards both degrees. I can not wait to finish. Online classes are fun but a lot of work.

I completed the MSN.Ed at Uop 2 years this past June. I loved the program. The "facilitators" as they prefer to be known were helpful and always prompted great discussions. I feel I received a well-rounded, thorough education through this program that has helped me in my current position as a nursing faculty for an LPN program in New York. There was nothing more wonderful than sitting down at my computer in my PJs with a cup of coffee to attend school. The only challenge in this program is the fact that the courses are only 6 weeks in length. So, when you begin a course you are already 2 weeks behind. It is not so overwhelming that someone with self-discipline cannot be successful.

I hope this helps. If you need more info, just ask.:nuke:

Specializes in ICU, PACU.

Hello all UOP Alumni and current students!

I was a graduate of their RN-BSN program in October 2006. I am extremely happy with UOP and learned so much. I was so happy with the BSN program, I am going to start the MSN-ED online program next week. My BSN program was on campus, so I am looking forward to doing the MSN online.

If anyone else is starting this program, please let me know, we can compare notes.

Heidi

also...

All my counselors at UOP have always been helpful and promptly returned my email or phone calls.

Specializes in Geriatrics.

Hi, I'm new here to this website...my name is Michelle; I'm an RN/ADN wanting my BSN, MSN, and then FNP. I'm enrolled in UOP and my first class starts Sept. 2nd. I'm nervous as this online class stuff is new to me. I have 2 kids, one is 11 and the other just turned 1. Both boys. Plus my dad lives with me during the week...so I know I will have time to dedicate to my classes. He is a great babysitter!

I would love to meet others just starting too.

Blessings, Michelle

P.S. I work PRN one weekend a month and am currently trying for a part time job as a pharmacy tech. So with so little working, I'm hoping to dedicate as much of my time as I can to my classes.

Good luck to you! It does get burdensome after a bit (as ALL schools do!) but I wouldn't have done my BSN and MSN any other way. Overall I am very pleased with UOP. I am teaching in an ADN program and very happy I made the switch from bedside. I love meeting all the students and helping them to learn!

My advice for you would be to take a 2 week break in between classes. One just wasn't enough...one just got you caught up on the housework but not enough time for yourself to breathe!

I also took a month off in the summer so I could go on a vacation without taking my laptop and worrying about assignments.

I have two colleagues who attend ground classes in a traditional semester format. They have just as much work as we do at Phoenix, plus they have to travel an hour to class. With the cost of gas, online courses are a perfect solution!

Let us know if you have any concerns or questions! We are happy to help!

Specializes in Trauma ICU, WOCN, OB/GYN,.
Hi, I'm new here to this website...my name is Michelle; I'm an RN/ADN wanting my BSN, MSN, and then FNP. I'm enrolled in UOP and my first class starts Sept. 2nd. I'm nervous as this online class stuff is new to me. I have 2 kids, one is 11 and the other just turned 1. Both boys. Plus my dad lives with me during the week...so I know I will have time to dedicate to my classes. He is a great babysitter!

I would love to meet others just starting too.

Blessings, Michelle

P.S. I work PRN one weekend a month and am currently trying for a part time job as a pharmacy tech. So with so little working, I'm hoping to dedicate as much of my time as I can to my classes.

Hi Michelle,

I am finishing my 20th credit with UOP MSN-ED this coming Monday. I also have a HB, 2 small kids, a job, a house and a life, and that is the reason why I am with the UOP. It can be done! UOP does not have you waste any time with going to offices here and there and dealing with all sorts of shots, paperwork, different fees and other time taking manouvers: UOP lets you know what needs to be done and does it for you, at no extra costs. I go online in the middle of the night when everybody else is asleep, and do my work. I take 2-4 wk breaks between classes to catch up with life.

My class is full of people just like me and YOU and we offer support to each other. The education is equal to any other brick and mortar school, they are all accredited by the same agencies! Yet UOP is a wonder of flexibility and if it wasn't for the UOP, I would probably never be able to get my MSN. This is a perfect set up for busy moms.

I wish you good luck and I hope this helps! Anja

I did the University of Phoenix online MSN in admin and leadership and completed it in one year. It was a tough year - I doubled ALL my classes and skipped all but one break. It can be done, but its tough! However, I'm glad I did it. The price sounds about right. Good luck - if I can help, please PM me.

Hey quick question...

I'm looking for a bridge pgm RN-MSN, I'm willing to double up and get it done ASAP. However, do you need 3 years exp to do this pgm with UOP? Do you know if it is the same for the RN-BSN? Are any clinical hours involved at all?

Thanks!

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

Hi there and welcome. I would contact UofP personally. I finished my MSN with them in 2005 and I know that they have several new programs now. Good luck - this worked well for me even though I will be paying off loans for years! lol

Thanks!

Student loans.....ay. I've thought about doing a gov't repayment pgm but I am not sure yet! I've already got student loans from my first two degrees, what's a little more? Haha. I'm glad to hear there are positive experiences with UOP. Seems like it is the best, most reputable of online pgms with a lot of people that have had positive outcomes and job recognition.

+ Add a Comment