Jump to content

Should Social Media shut down Conspiracy Theories?

Disasters   (3,870 Views | 134 Replies)

Emergent has 25 years experience .

8 Followers; 2 Articles; 68,134 Profile Views; 3,091 Posts

You are reading page 5 of Should Social Media shut down Conspiracy Theories?. If you want to start from the beginning Go to First Page.

1 Follower; 2,573 Posts; 38,108 Profile Views

1 hour ago, Yokohama said:

Something doesn't quite add up with both of y'all's rebuttals. Hmm.

https://www.msdsonline.com/resources/sds-resources/free-safety-data-sheet-index/rhinovirus/

And

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6158190/

And @emtb2rn I understand where you are coming from with this. But I still believe this pandemic is a cash and power grab.

Seems to me a lot of y'all are salty and can't accept someone else has a different opinion. Thought this site was for adults but seems to me like a playground. The arguments I receive are pathetic and beneath me, so I don't see the point of wasting time. Once your prefrontal cortex has fully developed then come back and have a logical conversation instead of spewing emotional responses. 

Unable to support previous claims about this novel COVID, so our attention is now deflected to enteroviruses? That's funny. 

The only salty poster seems to be the one who has made incredible claims without supporting evidence, bragged about their own expertise in Microbiology while posting incorrect information, and attempting to insult licensed and experienced nurses with childish remarks about prefrontal cortex and emotional response. As a hiring manager, I feel pretty confident that those troublesome attitudes would be discernable during a comprehensive interview. 

You may be correct that the federal response to the COVID pandemic was a power and money grab attempt by the First Family. Jared and DJT likely saw dollar signs when they first considered American testing. 

 

Edited by toomuchbaloney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nurse SMS has 9 years experience as a MSN, RN and specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.

7 Followers; 6,352 Posts; 49,518 Profile Views

I believe the real reason that the videos were repeatedly removed from Youtube is that they contained copyrighted clips from other productions without permission.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

herring_RN specializes in Critical care, tele, Medical-Surgical.

3 Followers; 3,087 Posts; 99,457 Profile Views

3 hours ago, Yokohama said:

Something doesn't quite add up with both of y'all's rebuttals. Hmm.

https://www.msdsonline.com/resources/sds-resources/free-safety-data-sheet-index/rhinovirus/

And

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6158190/

And @emtb2rn I understand where you are coming from with this. But I still believe this pandemic is a cash and power grab.

Seems to me a lot of y'all are salty and can't accept someone else has a different opinion. Thought this site was for adults but seems to me like a playground. The arguments I receive are pathetic and beneath me, so I don't see the point of wasting time. Once your prefrontal cortex has fully developed then come back and have a logical conversation instead of spewing emotional responses. 

From your link. Did you read it? After reviewing 2704 16 were actually used. There was no conclusion except that cross species contamination is plausible. Not proven, but not proven untrue either 

Quote

A systematic review of evidence that enteroviruses may be zoonotic

...   the available data support the biological plausibility of cross-species transmission and the need to conduct periodic surveillance at the human–animal interface...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6158190/

When I was a child our chickens developed sores followed by scabs on their combs and wattles. Grandma said it was "chicken Pox" and had us apply iodine to the sores with a Q tip. The birds continued to eat, lay eggs, and didn't seem sick. The sores disappeared.

Prior to that my sisters and I had chicken pox. Our Mommy had us apply calomine lotion to the spots with a Q tip. I asked if what the chickens had was the same as when we had Chicken Pox. Our Daddy said to look it up in the encyclopedia. Human Chicken Pox (Varicella) is NOT the same disease chickens get. PS: It has been infecting people since Babylonian times.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

During my psych rotation in nursing school a patient told me he was not mentally ill. He claimed he was hospitalized because scientists were planning to dig up Beethoven's body, harvest DNA from bones, and clone Beethoven's brain. He said they wanted to put Beethoven's brain in his body and put his brain into the body of a dog. He said he could prove it and said, "Follow me." He went to a piano and played a Hayden concerto. His "proof" was that he could play piano.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are viruses that humans can transmit to animals and vice versa. How does that help prevent people from believing nonsense? It is dishonest to claim a falsehood is true.

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Emergent has 25 years experience.

8 Followers; 2 Articles; 3,091 Posts; 68,134 Profile Views

1 hour ago, heron said:

So is it your opinion that private platforms have an ethical duty to publish untruths?

Platforms that have virtual monopolies on public discourse should not have the power to shut down alternative points of view, as long as they are not an inciting violence.

Websites like all nurses are small potatoes. A forum such as facebook is a whole different animal. I feel that it is dangerous when I hear about them squashing political opinions that they disagree with, or steering people towards ideas in line with the philosophy of their leadership.

It puts too much power into the hands of billionaires.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TriciaJ has 39 years experience as a RN and specializes in Psych, Corrections, Med-Surg, Ambulatory.

14 Followers; 3,780 Posts; 40,774 Profile Views

On 5/10/2020 at 9:20 AM, Yokohama said:

The more I see them shutting down those types of videos, the more I see that they are trying to hide information that might be actually true. Sort of like the Nazis did with their socialist views by using fear tactics and burning information of different viewpoints, but now you see it going on in the present with social media platforms who promote socialist views and try to skew information (AKA editing old coronavirus articles, or deleting them). Except, social media sites like to use their so-called "fact checks" which is just a bias statement against a differing view point from a checker who is of the left side unfortunately. People are easy to control with fear, since nobody wants to free their mind and think for themselves anymore nowadays since they either fear conflict or just want to be in the "crowd" and not a labeled outsider. I suppose history repeats itself.

 

But, it is their site and they can do whatever the hell they want with it. I personally don't have any social media besides here and Instagram. I barely go on Youtube at all anymore.

A thousand times this.  It's easy to dismiss anything as propaganda or conspiracy theory if it doesn't match your viewpoint.

Instead of expecting government or corporate entities to protect us from misinformation we should all be developing discernment skills. 

Here are a few clues: if there are more adjectives than verbs it's probably BS. Likewise if a piece of information makes you feel instantly outraged,vindicated or virtuous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Emergent has 25 years experience.

8 Followers; 2 Articles; 3,091 Posts; 68,134 Profile Views

1 hour ago, hherrn said:

 

These are legit questions.

At a certain point, private entities become so large, that they do have some kind of public obligation.  In this case, they are acting on what they believe is their obligation by nixxing certain garbage.  Just because something is a slippery slope does not make the problem go away.

Emergent- do you believe that with no reservations?  Holocaust deniers, Nazis, etc?  NAMBLA?  

Thank you.  I thought this was going to go on.

Best of luck in your career. 

You bring up a very important points regarding those groups. I know that there have been websites that incited unstable people to commit outrageous violence.

Two specific cases that come to mine are the synagogue Massacre and the man who shot up the Congressional baseball game. Apparently, both were incited by the internet.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 Followers; 3,807 Posts; 28,916 Profile Views

2 minutes ago, Emergent said:

A forum such as facebook is a whole different animal. I feel that it is dangerous when I hear about them squashing political opinions that they disagree with, or steering people towards ideas in line with the philosophy of their leadership.

So playing along then do you think the anti-vaxers should be able to freely post their pseudo-science drivel on platforms such as facebook knowing full well that the end result could (and has been) dead children?

2 minutes ago, TriciaJ said:

Instead of expecting government or corporate entities to protect us from misinformation we should all be developing discernment skills. 

We should but it ain't happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 Follower; 2,573 Posts; 38,108 Profile Views

3 minutes ago, Emergent said:

Platforms that have virtual monopolies on public discourse should not have the power to shut down alternative points of view, as long as they are not an inciting violence.

Websites like all nurses are small potatoes. A forum such as facebook is a whole different animal. I feel that it is dangerous when I hear about them squashing political opinions that they disagree with, or steering people towards ideas in line with the philosophy of their leadership.

It puts too much power into the hands of billionaires.

 

 

 

That power has long been in the hands of the oligarchs and kleptocrats.  Their deep pocket marketing has swayed gullible voters to elect against their common best interests for years, all across the country.  The more gullible the voting base of a region, the more easily they are convinced to vote for the wishes of the ruling classes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

heron has 40 years experience as a ASN, RN and specializes in Hospice.

1 Follower; 2,537 Posts; 38,986 Profile Views

2 minutes ago, Emergent said:

Platforms that have virtual monopolies on public discourse should not have the power to shut down alternative points of view, as long as they are not an inciting violence.

Websites like all nurses are small potatoes. A forum such as facebook is a whole different animal. I feel that it is dangerous when I hear about them squashing political opinions that they disagree with, or steering people towards ideas in line with the philosophy of their leadership.

It puts too much power into the hands of billionaires.

 

 

 

So, size and market dominance imposes the duty to publish falsehoods and gross distortions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Emergent has 25 years experience.

8 Followers; 2 Articles; 3,091 Posts; 68,134 Profile Views

Just now, Wuzzie said:

So playing along then do you think the anti-vaxers should be able to freely post their pseudo-science drivel on platforms such as facebook knowing full well that the end result could (and has been) dead children?

I think parents should have a right do not vaccinate their children, just as they have a right to feed them junk food.

I tend to fall in the libertarian philosophy for many things. There are some exceptions to that such as environmental protection and I do think we need a national Healthcare System. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TriciaJ has 39 years experience as a RN and specializes in Psych, Corrections, Med-Surg, Ambulatory.

14 Followers; 3,780 Posts; 40,774 Profile Views

2 minutes ago, Wuzzie said:

So playing along then do you think the anti-vaxers should be able to freely post their pseudo-science drivel on platforms such as facebook knowing full well that the end result could (and has been) dead children?

We should but it ain't happening.

I would personally prefer that anti- vaxxers be shut down.  The problem is who gets to decide who gets shut down and who gets a voice?  That's what scares me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nurse SMS has 9 years experience as a MSN, RN and specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.

7 Followers; 6,352 Posts; 49,518 Profile Views

8 minutes ago, Emergent said:

I think parents should have a right do not vaccinate their children, just as they have a right to feed them junk food.

I tend to fall in the libertarian philosophy for many things. There are some exceptions to that such as environmental protection and I do think we need a national Healthcare System. 

 

I agree, they should not have to vaccinate. But then I believe schools, medical entities,sports teams/groups and public areas should have the right to refuse them entry based on their choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×

This site uses cookies. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Read our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies to learn more.