Jump to content

Physician Spreads Dis-Information: License Revoked

Updated | Posted

Specializes in Education, FP, LNC, Forensics, ED, OB. Has 30 years experience.

doctor-nurse-loses-license-disinformation.jpg.6a12246e6caba2d4aecc4f5f43a187c4.jpg

Steven Arthur LaTulippe spread COVID-19 dis-information.

Quote

The Oregon Medical Board has revoked the license of a doctor who didn’t follow COVID-19 guidelines in his office and even told some patients that wearing face masks could lead to carbon-dioxide poisoning.

“Licensee has confirmed that he will refuse to abide by the state’s COVID-19 protocols in the future as well, affirming that in a choice between losing his medical license versus wearing a mask in his clinic and requiring his patients and staff to wear a mask in his clinic, he will, ‘choose to sacrifice my medical license with no hesitation’” ...

Is this good for the healthcare industry?

Read in its entirety:

Doctor Who Claimed Masks Hurt Health Loses License

toomuchbaloney

Has 43 years experience.

4 minutes ago, macawake said:

Good riddance.

He doesn't need credentials to influence gullible people on social media and make money. 

macawake, MSN

Has 13 years experience.

20 minutes ago, toomuchbaloney said:

He doesn't need credentials to influence gullible people on social media and make money. 

That’s absolutely true. I suspect that in the eyes of those who sympathize with the information he appears to have promoted, he’ll be viewed as a martyr, having suffered professional death for ”the cause”. A victim of the establishment, evil pharma and the communist, nazi, liberal, lefty mask-lovers. 

But to me, this isn’t about politics. It’s about professional conduct and the information and advice we give our patients and what we as licensed medical and healthcare professionals communicate to the general public. Our advice should be evidence-based. And I think it’s a good thing that the Medical Board appears to take that seriously.

toomuchbaloney

Has 43 years experience.

4 minutes ago, macawake said:

But to me, this isn’t about politics. It’s about professional conduct and the information and advice we give our patients and what we as licensed medical and healthcare professionals communicate to the general public. Our advice should be evidence-based. And I think it’s a good thing that the Medical Board appears to take that seriously.

The pandemic mitigation was made political in 2020 by the federal political team that wanted to distance itself from accountability.  Most of us understand that choosing to vaccinate during a pandemic isn't really a political statement, neither is wearing a mask.  Clearly, a small percentage of the population cannot make that determination.  For them the pandemic is all about politics. Some of them are my family members.

Curious1997, BSN

Specializes in Psych, Medical. Has 13 years experience.

10 minutes ago, macawake said:

That’s absolutely true. I suspect that in the eyes of those who sympathize with the information he appears to have promoted, he’ll be viewed as a martyr, having suffered professional death for ”the cause”. A victim of the establishment, evil pharma and the communist, nazi, liberal, lefty mask-lovers. 

But to me, this isn’t about politics. It’s about professional conduct and the information and advice we give our patients and what we as licensed medical and healthcare professionals communicate to the general public. Our advice should be evidence-based. And I think it’s a good thing that the Medical Board appears to take that seriously.

What about the fact that he's actually qualified while not believing in the science? He did a residency, passed the state board's exam etc. 

What does it say about our educational system and the medical programmes that he flies under the radar? And there are many more like him! 

You qualify as a priest and you still believe in buggery of kids? 

I mean if the education doesn't influence your thinking and perception, what was the underlying purpose? A basic concept of masking should be understood by every health care provider! 

It would be awesome if nursing boards did that.

Not necessarily for misguided nurses who spout nonsense on their own time.  But, if a nurse uses his/her credentials to lend credibility to disinformation, that seems like unprofessional conduct.

Unprofessional conduct. A licensee shall be deemed to have engaged in unprofessional conduct if he violates any standard of professional behavior which has been established in the practice for which the licensee is licensed;

When a nurses misuses credentials, it degrades the credential.

I could lose my license for all kinds of things unrelated to nursing or my nursing credentials.  Drunk driving, smoking weed, etc...

If not BONs, I would love to see board certifications- CEN, CCRN, etc held to a standard. 

macawake, MSN

Has 13 years experience.

On 9/22/2021 at 1:02 PM, Curious1997 said:

What about the fact that he's actually qualified while not believing in the science? He did a residency, passed the state board's exam etc. 

What does it say about our educational system and the medical programmes that he flies under the radar? And there are many more like him! 

I mean if the education doesn't influence your thinking and perception, what was the underlying purpose? A basic concept of masking should be understood by every health care provider! 

I obviously can’t comment specifically about this physician. Never met him and only have various news reports to go on, but in general I think that these might be folks who’ve somehow ”lost their way”. I don’t think many started out that way when they first chose to get into the medical field.

Medicine is evidence-based and I can’t imagine someone who believes that a surgical mask can cause strokes or a lung to collapse, could make it through school and residency. I simply refuse to believe that there are schools of such low quality that someone like that would slip through the net/fall through the cracks. At least I hope that isn’t possible. 

Honestly I think that this is the same phenomenon that makes some people vulnerable to the lure of various cults. Cults come in different shapes and sizes, and they can be religious, political or something else. They create a sense of belonging, purpose and identity. I believe that some people are more easily swayed by emotions and base their decisions on them. I would expect it to be more rare in people with a solid scientific background simply because of the nature of the scientific process, but none of us are 100% immune. 

macawake, MSN

Has 13 years experience.

On 9/22/2021 at 1:25 PM, toomuchbaloney said:

Asthma group warns against social media trend of inhaling hydrogen peroxide to treat coronavcoronavirus

People say they are concerned about long term effects of vaccine or the technology and won't vaccinate...but they'll inhale H2O2 because a social media expert recommended it.  

People are nuts. That’s all I can say. People should NOT try this. 

Oh, and I’m super excited! I found something from 1978 on the internet!! 😀 


https://www.CDC.gov/niosh/docs/81-123/pdfs/0335.pdf

I’m pretty sure that inhaling hydrogen peroxide hasn’t become any safer today than it was three+ decades ago. Terribad idea. Treating oneself with something based on advice found on the internet is not recommended.

I really wish that people would see their provider instead of experimenting with ”treatments and cures” that haven’t been proven to be neither safe nor effective for treating a Covid infection.

Found a more recent source 😉

DANGER! Don’t Nebulize Hydrogen Peroxide and Breathe It to Try to Treat or Prevent COVID-19

Orca, ASN, RN

Specializes in Corrections, psychiatry, rehab, LTC. Has 26 years experience.

1 hour ago, macawake said:

I really wish that people would see their provider instead of experimenting with ”treatments and cures” that haven’t been proven to be neither safe nor effective for treating a Covid infection.

Far too many people are so opposed to vaccines due to either misinformation or unrealistic minimizing of the virus' effects by politicians and others, that they will latch onto anything else, no matter how crackpot that it is.

SmilingBluEyes

Specializes in Specializes in L/D, newborn, GYN, LTC, Dialysis. Has 24 years experience.

Good. May many more doing this fall similarly. Time to stop quackery and bad information under licensure.