NP salary/pay let’s be transparent

Posted

You are reading page 4 of NP salary/pay let’s be transparent. If you want to start from the beginning Go to First Page.

Riburn3, BSN, MSN, APRN, NP

Specializes in Internal Medicine. Has 15 years experience. 3 Articles; 551 Posts

Hospitalist NP in Southern, NM employed by a large national physician practice.  We work independently within our group and admit to ourselves with no physician oversite.  NM is a very NP friendly state.

-$171k base (have to give fourteen 12 hour shifts a month, at $85/hr).  I typically work 15 or 16 shifts a month so haven't taken home less than 210k a year in the nearly 4 years I've been here.  

-RVU and Quality bonuses equal another $20-30k a year

-4% matched 401k

-Solid Healthcare 

-No PTO, but schedule is week on, week off, so I have over half the month off and can work the schedule between months for more time if necessary

-Holiday differentials

-2k CME (licensing can be covered under CME, as can scrubs and stethoscopes, supplies)

 

Alicia777

Alicia777, MSN, NP

Specializes in Surgery. 321 Posts

27 minutes ago, Riburn3 said:

Hospitalist NP in Southern, NM employed by a large national physician practice.  We work independently within our group and admit to ourselves with no physician oversite.  NM is a very NP friendly state.

-$171k base (have to give fourteen 12 hour shifts a month, at $85/hr).  I typically work 15 or 16 shifts a month so haven't taken home less than 210k a year in the nearly 4 years I've been here.  

-RVU and Quality bonuses equal another $20-30k a year

-4% matched 401k

-Solid Healthcare 

-No PTO, but schedule is week on, week off, so I have over half the month off and can work the schedule between months for more time if necessary

-Holiday differentials

-2k CME (licensing can be covered under CME, as can scrubs and stethoscopes, supplies)

 

This is incredible! Good for you ?

Riburn3, BSN, MSN, APRN, NP

Specializes in Internal Medicine. Has 15 years experience. 3 Articles; 551 Posts

42 minutes ago, Alicia777 said:

This is incredible! Good for you ?

Thanks.  I had to crawl through the muck before I got this job, working for a large volume practice, seeing 30+ patients a day all over a decently sized city, and barely was scratching 6 figures.  It prepared me very well for my job, but it's proof that experience pays off.  I would have never landed my current gig as a new NP, and it's important to remember for new NP's out there, that their starting pay out of school will most certainly not be what you are making down the road.  Even in saturated markets, practice groups and larger companies will pay for experience.  

Edited by Riburn3

SanDiFrangles

SanDiFrangles, RN, NP, CNS

Specializes in Pulmonary & Cardiothoracic Critical Care. Has 19 years experience. 43 Posts

Hi all, Pain Management Adult ACNP here based out an academic medical center in Baltimore, MD.

100k/year starting as a new grad NP (My experience 13 years RN ICU, 3 years as a CNS), base rate approximately 49/hr Weekend differential additional 7/hr, additional shift 75/hr

800 in CE and education reimbursement

7500 loan reimbursement one time

Expense reimbursement except for MD license

403b with dollar for dollar up to 4% of pay, partial vesting after 2, full vesting after 5 yrs

Medical, Dental, Life (small amount), FSA, HSA, about $60 per pay deduction for a mid tier plan, myself only. 

Overall, I feel like I’m getting pretty screwed in compensation. However this was my first new grad position and I wanted to get some experience first. Ultimately, I will probably go back to working as a clinical nurse specialist, since my compensation for that role was significantly higher. I applied for a CNS role in a similar size institution in Baltimore and was initially offered about 127,000 per year without any negotiation. Previously was working as a contract CNS was taking home about 4K weekly, in SF Bay Area - so take that based on cost of living. I’ll probably hangout in this role for a year or two and then reshop the market. 
 

One piece of advice I might add, is I bought a Salary report off of salary.com and am able to use that in the negotiation process.
 

 

135pipe

135pipe

Has 1 years experience. 50 Posts

On 8/21/2021 at 10:11 AM, SanDiFrangles said:

Hi all, Pain Management Adult ACNP here based out an academic medical center in Baltimore, MD.

100k/year starting as a new grad NP (My experience 13 years RN ICU, 3 years as a CNS), base rate approximately 49/hr Weekend differential additional 7/hr, additional shift 75/hr

800 in CE and education reimbursement

7500 loan reimbursement one time

Expense reimbursement except for MD license

403b with dollar for dollar up to 4% of pay, partial vesting after 2, full vesting after 5 yrs

Medical, Dental, Life (small amount), FSA, HSA, about $60 per pay deduction for a mid tier plan, myself only. 

Overall, I feel like I’m getting pretty screwed in compensation. However this was my first new grad position and I wanted to get some experience first. Ultimately, I will probably go back to working as a clinical nurse specialist, since my compensation for that role was significantly higher. I applied for a CNS role in a similar size institution in Baltimore and was initially offered about 127,000 per year without any negotiation. Previously was working as a contract CNS was taking home about 4K weekly, in SF Bay Area - so take that based on cost of living. I’ll probably hangout in this role for a year or two and then reshop the market. 
 

One piece of advice I might add, is I bought a Salary report off of salary.com and am able to use that in the negotiation process.
 

 

Love that you stood up for yourself and demanded what you're worth very inspiring !

Sun1

Sun1

Specializes in N/A. Has 3 years experience. 136 Posts

On 10/15/2020 at 1:44 PM, SurgicalNP said:

In addition to receiving formal education for First Assist, I received training from the surgeons. I see preop and post op surgical patients in office. I do know many NPs working in surgery in some aspect ( first assist, post surgical oncology plastics in office, gyn onc surgery etc.)

Also, insurance companies reimburse for my role as first assist.

What is the billing rate for first assist?  Which procedures are the most lucrative to be on with surgical assist?  Can you please provide some examples?

Many thanks.

nursetim

nursetim, NP

Specializes in ER, HH, CTICU, corrections, cardiology, hospice. Has 20 years experience. 493 Posts

When did this start? The last two jobs I interviewed for were for home visits. They paid % of billed, required to carry own malpractice, 1099, no mileage, no benefits. One place was paying $17 a visit, one place 40% of billed/collected, the other 30% billed for 90 days- then 50K base and 30% collected.

What ever happened to, salary and benefits?

I can tell you absolutely, that in the valley of the sun, if you aren’t FNP/PA-C or PMHNP, you are SOL.

MentalKlarity, BSN, NP

Specializes in Psychiatry. Has 9 years experience. 254 Posts

Did people truly expect salaries not to drop down to poverty wages once online for profit schools graduated so many NPs a year that they became a dime a dozen?

LoveJRenee

LoveJRenee, BSN, RN

Specializes in Cosmetic RN. Has 1 years experience. 159 Posts

On 9/19/2020 at 11:50 AM, SurgicalNP said:

Transparency is important so we can negotiate. As a new grad nurse practitioner I accepted a ridiculously low paying position and I assumed that was the pay in the new city I move to. I have grown over the past couple years and I understand I was taken advantage of. I hope that this doesn’t happen to others. Therefore, I believe it is critical we know what other nurse practitioners are being compensated so we are able to negotiate our salary and benefits packages.

I’m an FNP-C in Houston area working in Surgery (first assist, preop, and follow up post op care) Salary is 110k (negotiating to 115k), 3weeks pto, 9 paid holidays, 1500 CME/yr, paid DEA, malpractice, 401k without match, 4 day work week (40-50hrs), on-call practically all the time (but only get calls on surgery days 2-3days/week). Overall I’m happy with the work I do.
 

What is your compensation package look like?

You said your 1st you accepted a very low pay… what was that pay? What is the minimum one should accept? 

Lennonninja, MSN, APRN, NP

Specializes in MICU - CCRN, IR, Vascular Surgery. Has 11 years experience. 1,004 Posts

9 years of RN experience, 1 year of NP experience. This is my new grad job. Vascular surgery NP here, only work in the outpatient office seeing vascular medicine patients, post ops, etc. No time in the hospital. M-F 8-5, $95k per year, 5 days PTO per year, no reimbursement for CEU, DEA, or licensing fees. No call. No benefits offered, no 401k. No raises or cost of living increases offered. Have to do all of the NP work in the office as well as all of the RN work and help at the reception desk. 

Edited by Lennonninja

TeleRN2010

TeleRN2010, ADN, BSN, MSN

Specializes in APRN, FNP-C. Has 12 years experience. 15 Posts

I have 11 years of hospital nursing experience, working in acute care units in the midwest. I will start my first NP job soon in vascular surgery. I will work 1 day a week in the outpatient clinic, and 4 days of week in the hospitals doing consults, post-ops, and assisting in surgeries as I become more experienced. 8 hour days M-F. Starting pay is $110,000, medical, dental, vision, 401K with 4% match, $2000 CME, 5 days CME, malpractice coverage, cell phone reimbursement, mileage reimbursement, PTO (hours accrue each pay period), and the cost for all credentialing. No call. Another perk is free meals and snacks.

Edited by TeleRN2010

TeleRN2010

TeleRN2010, ADN, BSN, MSN

Specializes in APRN, FNP-C. Has 12 years experience. 15 Posts

1 hour ago, Lennonninja said:

9 years of RN experience, 1 year of NP experience. This is my new grad job. Vascular surgery NP here, only work in the outpatient office seeing vascular medicine patients, post ops, etc. No time in the hospital. M-F 8-5, $95k per year, 5 days PTO per year, no reimbursement for CEU, DEA, or licensing fees. No call. No benefits offered, no 401k. No raises or cost of living increases offered. Have to do all of the NP work in the office as well as all of the RN work and help at the reception desk. 

I will be starting my first job in vascular surgery as well. How do you like it? Any tips for anyone starting out?