Why SHOULDN'T one smoke in Amsterdam?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

OK.. I know this is a wierd thread, but I'm just curious if anyone can come up with a reason NOT to.

I DONT smoke. Its not really for me, i keep a busy life working full time as a supervisor, and i go to school full time at night.... I believe in keeping my options open for the future....

With that being said....is there ANY reason why one SHOULDN'T smoke in amsterdam? I figure its a once in a lifetime thing, and i guess thats the place to do it...lol... I'm traveling all over europe and will be there for a day or so.

I know i've heard that you can not have smoked for 4 years before becoming a police officer.... I dont plan on becoming a police officer, so THAT doesn't really worry me. Are there any other jobs that you guys can think of that are like that? Right now i'm going into the Registered Nursing (R.N.) program(just got my A.S. degree and completed all the pre-reqs for the program), and eventually would like to become a Nurse Anesthetist...

SO, are there any other reasons(as far as future jobs go) why NOT to? Please dont start with the whole "gateway drug", or any health reasons...

Thank you for your time/opinions.....

Specializes in Med/Surg.

3 words. Random Drug Testing.

Specializes in Psych.

Hey, I've been there and done that. You only live once and it is legal. It was so weird to sit in a public cafe and smoke. I don't mcuh like the stuff myself, but it was an experience I will never forget.

***? Healthcare=no drugs. I work in an ED....any meds missing equals a screen on everybody. smoke pot=U R done.

-love, benny

Are you serious? I say to each her/his own...but I wouldn't parade it around on a website like this. If you're going to do it, keep hush about it.

Specializes in Nurse Scientist-Research.
Are you serious? I say to each her/his own...but I wouldn't parade it around on a website like this. If you're going to do it, keep hush about it.

:yeahthat:

Nursing schools can be WAY WAY more conservative/strict and act on very little information. I had a friend kicked out for having the odor of alcohol on her in class, negative BAL but had drank the night before (ok, not smart, but really?). I wouldn't even tell anyone you were going to Amsterdam

Specializes in ICU, Education.

I know many nurses who had to do a drug screen for nursing school. Test positive for that, and i don't think you'll be allowed to finish the program, let alone get your RN lisence.

Specializes in Anesthesia.

Are you going to be attending a nurse school that conducts random drug screening? If not, then I would say that you only live once and to have fun over there. However, if you are working in a place or will be applying to a place that require drug screening within the next 6 months, then I would probably pass (no pun intended....hahaha)....:rotfl:

This thread is very weird

Maybe I'm just paranoid...but, I've heard way too many stories of potential employers (not necessarily nursing related) finding "less than favorable" information about potential applicants from online. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but it just seems wise to keep quiet about it.

Also, I would imagine that you would want to get any experimentations out of your system before you get yourself in a situation where you have access to other drugs as an RN...not at all implying you would behave in an unbecoming manner...but I think it would to your benefit to get all that out of your system before putting yourself in the situation where temptation might call...to protect yourself, if no one else.

Specializes in OB.

If you apply for one of the jobs that requires drug testing using hair strands rather than urine drug screens, the evidence could be with you long after the event.

Specializes in ER/Trauma.

moderator note

merged the same thread in the crna forum with the existing one in the general nursing forums.

please don't "cross post" (post the same topic in multiple forums). it divides discussion and makes it harder to collect data on any particular topic.

please continue all discussions in the current thread.

thank you,

- roy

allnurses.com moderator

+ Add a Comment