Fear and Anxiety

Posted
by spark plug spark plug (New) New Student

You are reading page 9 of Fear and Anxiety. If you want to start from the beginning Go to First Page.

emtb2rn, BSN, RN, EMT-B

Specializes in Emergency. Has 21 years experience. 2,938 Posts

10 hours ago, hherrn said:

Yes, posting nonsense for shock value gets annoying after a while.

A shame, as buried in there are some legitimate concerns, but calling people cowards, communists, tyrants, facists demonstrates either an astounding lack of understanding of these terms, or the need to dominate the conversation.

I have some other theories as well, but in keeping with the tos, will keep them to myself. ?

lifelearningrn, BSN, RN

Specializes in School Nursing. Has 8 years experience. 2,533 Posts

17 hours ago, A Hit With The Ladies said:

That's great that your city isn't imposing levies. Here in Houston, the county judge says $1000 fine for those seen in public not masked up. Unbelievable. And like I mentioned before, here in Texas (albeit in another city) a salon owner was sent to jail. This has gone too far. Those that scared of someone else's breath should go hide under covers if they so choose. But they should not try to get the rest of the planet to cater to their fears and anxieties.

The police union put out a statement saying they would not be writing tickets or doing anything to enforce the mask policy.

InTheLongRun

InTheLongRun

Has 16 years experience. 61 Posts

Back to topic. I just finished watching Laurie Garrett's interview on CNN. (Author of "The Coming Plague") Definitely knows her stuff and I encourage everyone to watch it. She expresses the issues very clearly: some of my takeways this virus may plague humans indefinitely (40 years later for example there is still no vaccine for HIV) There is no guarantee a vaccine will be successful and even if it were it would have to be available to 45 billion people to adequately control this as it is not virus avoidable simply by changing sexual practices)

Whatever my thoughts on what could have been done to avoid the widespread infection earlier, we are truly in Nightengale days of our tools being sanitation and social practice. Period. Anyone who refuses to comply with what are truly a minimum of inconvenience such as masks and keeping distance from people I truly have no use for about now.

toomuchbaloney

toomuchbaloney

Specializes in NICU, PICU, Transport, L&D, Hospice. Has 43 years experience. 8,940 Posts

3 hours ago, InTheLongRun said:

Back to topic. I just finished watching Laurie Garrett's interview on CNN. (Author of "The Coming Plague") Definitely knows her stuff and I encourage everyone to watch it. She expresses the issues very clearly: some of my takeways this virus may plague humans indefinitely (40 years later for example there is still no vaccine for HIV) There is no guarantee a vaccine will be successful and even if it were it would have to be available to 45 billion people to adequately control this as it is not virus avoidable simply by changing sexual practices)

Whatever my thoughts on what could have been done to avoid the widespread infection earlier, we are truly in Nightengale days of our tools being sanitation and social practice. Period. Anyone who refuses to comply with what are truly a minimum of inconvenience such as masks and keeping distance from people I truly have no use for about now.

And yet, their fears and anxieties, no matter how selfish or ignorant, are the voices getting the greatest amplification...

spark plug

spark plug

2 Articles; 10 Posts

On 5/4/2020 at 10:54 AM, Rose_Queen said:

Masks I can see. But the way the general public is wearing gloves does nothing to protect themselves or others. They are wearing the gloves at all times- handling food, putting it back on the shelf, touching raw meat packages, touching their face, touching things at home with bare hands that those dirty gloves hands touched, etc. In healthcare we know, discard gloves after each individual task. In this case, the gloves are a fomite and a false sense of security. And from what I’ve seen in parking lots, litter. Now, my local grocery store is sanitizing carts after use. You pick up from the clean side and return to the dirty side, and there is someone there at all times to make sure used carts don’t go back in the clean side.

Of course mask! The gloves yes cross-contamination! Sounds like it may not be cross-contamination if they're littering all over your stores parking lot. And my grocery store is doing the same thing in one side and out on the other, cleaning cleaning, cleaning. We also have purex for hands if they don't have gloves. Also the inside, in one aisle and out the other end you cannot go up and down the aisles the way we used to it's crazy. And they have to count how many people goes in the store. We are deprived of talking if we see our friends in the store like a school friend from way back when what do you think about that? Anyway have a blessed day!

hppygr8ful, ASN, RN, EMT-I

Specializes in Psych, Addictions, SOL (Student of Life). Has 20 years experience. 4 Articles; 4,573 Posts

1 hour ago, spark plug said:

Of course mask! The gloves yes cross-contamination! Sounds like it may not be cross-contamination if they're littering all over your stores parking lot. And my grocery store is doing the same thing in one side and out on the other, cleaning cleaning, cleaning. We also have purex for hands if they don't have gloves. Also the inside, in one aisle and out the other end you cannot go up and down the aisles the way we used to it's crazy. And they have to count how many people goes in the store. We are deprived of talking if we see our friends in the store like a school friend from way back when what do you think about that? Anyway have a blessed day!

I feel so strongly about the whole gloves thing that I politely ask if I can use the scanning gun to scan my groceries so the store checkers don' touch them with the gloves they have been wearing all day. I've had a few strange looks but when I explain the principal of cross contamination people get it right away. Which is why I find it flabbergasting that medical professionals don't seem to know this.

Anne36

Anne36, LPN

1,360 Posts

I'm not even afraid of covid anymore. I'm more worried about losing my basic freedoms and human rights. We don't have the right to direct our own healthcare and keep a job at the same time in the state of michigan. Forced testing now. Doesn't matter if you are not sick of just got tested. It's called Economic terrorism at its finest. I am far more stressed that I'm being told I need a swab stuck up my nose to work than thought of getting covid.

toomuchbaloney

toomuchbaloney

Specializes in NICU, PICU, Transport, L&D, Hospice. Has 43 years experience. 8,940 Posts

57 minutes ago, Anne36 said:

I'm not even afraid of covid anymore. I'm more worried about losing my basic freedoms and human rights. We don't have the right to direct our own healthcare and keep a job at the same time in the state of michigan. Forced testing now. Doesn't matter if you are not sick of just got tested. It's called Economic terrorism at its finest. I am far more stressed that I'm being told I need a swab stuck up my nose to work than thought of getting covid.

Economic panic is causing all manner of people to promote and engage in socially risky behavior. Clearly they are being encouraged by people who feel adequately isolated from the virus to avoid dangerous outcomes for themselves but who want the money to continue flowing.

Maybe you could explain the "economic terrorism" angle that you mentioned. Who is the chief terrorist in that equation? The person sending people into infected workplaces or the person asking them to stay home?

ellen 12

ellen 12

79 Posts

On 5/5/2020 at 4:06 AM, A Hit With The Ladies said:

This is America, not North Korea, not Saudi Arabia. When the government goes around dictating what people must wear in public, we are no longer a free country but a totalitarian one.

Here in Houston, this twentysomething county judge said she'd impose a $1000 fine if people weren't wearing masks in public. Thankfully, the police said they wouldn't levy the fine. I hope our governor just overrides her and says "no fines at all" already. We don't have to all go Bubble Boy to cater to hypochondriacs in our society.

WOW! - and five thumbs up - very sad.

No wonder - America is in such dire circumstances.

We wear masks and take precautions to prevent the spread of Covid 19.

To suggest that people who take precautions - are hypochondriacs is beyond reason.

Taking measures and working together to prevent the spread of Covid 19 is about a caring state. Not a totalitarian state.

kbrn2002, ADN, RN

Specializes in Geriatrics, Dialysis. Has 20 years experience. 3,660 Posts

I don't know what to think about this anymore. I live in WI which now is open for business since the supreme court knocked down the Governor's safe at home directives and it's been a little more chaotic than I expected. Some businesses are operating as before this hit and not practicing any kind of social distancing much less PPE while some are going what is in my opinion way overboard with their safety measures.

While I haven't gone into one I've heard that many local bars aren't following any safety measures. On the other hand one regional chain is requiring masks and gloves to enter the store plus won't allow children under 16 inside. The masks I get, the gloves are just ridiculous and actually increase risk since nobody in the general public seems to be in the least bit aware of how cross contamination works and refusing entry to anybody with children is in my opinion just way overboard. Some restaurants are opening back up, some are still just offering curbside pickup and delivery. There's really no way of knowing what each business is doing to re-open without going there to find out. Point is there's no rhyme or reason to what businesses are choosing to do and no centralized public forum for businesses to announce any policies they have in place or if they are even fully open to business.

Some public events have already started back up while others continue to be cancelled or delayed. Local stock car racing started up this week with hundreds of people in attendance. I wasn't there so I can't comment on how well any social distancing measures they tried to put in place worked. My city already announced 4th of July fireworks display was going to happen as scheduled weather permitting of course. Maybe other public events are looking to how well the race track opening went before they decide rather to open as scheduled or cancel.

toomuchbaloney

toomuchbaloney

Specializes in NICU, PICU, Transport, L&D, Hospice. Has 43 years experience. 8,940 Posts

5 hours ago, kbrn2002 said:

I don't know what to think about this anymore. I live in WI which now is open for business since the supreme court knocked down the Governor's safe at home directives and it's been a little more chaotic than I expected. Some businesses are operating as before this hit and not practicing any kind of social distancing much less PPE while some are going what is in my opinion way overboard with their safety measures.

While I haven't gone into one I've heard that many local bars aren't following any safety measures. On the other hand one regional chain is requiring masks and gloves to enter the store plus won't allow children under 16 inside. The masks I get, the gloves are just ridiculous and actually increase risk since nobody in the general public seems to be in the least bit aware of how cross contamination works and refusing entry to anybody with children is in my opinion just way overboard. Some restaurants are opening back up, some are still just offering curbside pickup and delivery. There's really no way of knowing what each business is doing to re-open without going there to find out. Point is there's no rhyme or reason to what businesses are choosing to do and no centralized public forum for businesses to announce any policies they have in place or if they are even fully open to business.

Some public events have already started back up while others continue to be cancelled or delayed. Local stock car racing started up this week with hundreds of people in attendance. I wasn't there so I can't comment on how well any social distancing measures they tried to put in place worked. My city already announced 4th of July fireworks display was going to happen as scheduled weather permitting of course. Maybe other public events are looking to how well the race track opening went before they decide rather to open as scheduled or cancel.

It seems to me that it's going exactly the way your judicial branch thought it should, with political leadership cut off at the knees and toothless while experiencing a void leadership from DC. How do you think it's going to proceed for your state?