Jump to content

COVID-19 Vaccine Incentives

Updated | Posted

Specializes in Vents, Telemetry, Home Care, Home infusion. Has 44 years experience.

vaccine-incentives.jpg.28deeba61754df8a213dd0b07fc8848e.jpg

Multiple vaccine incentives are now being offered to those getting vaccinated this month to meet the CDC/President Biden's goal of 70% adult vaccination by July 4th, 2021.

Those vaccinated at CVS pharmacy or by CVS pharmacist @ covid clinic/ SNF,  can enter to win numerous prizes -- including Feb. 2022 Super Bowl Trip!   Of course, they weren't  permitted to give vaccine yet to general public when I or sons  vaccinated in PA --so I'll try their mail-in address per website.  Will need to find a Krispy Creame for my free doughnut (damm the diet)!

U.S. Gov. list:  COVID-19 Vaccine Incentives

COVID-19 Vaccine Lottery: How to Enter to Win Up to $5 Million and Get Other Freebies

  • Ohio: $1 Million and Full-Ride College Scholarship
  • Oregon: $1 Million
  • Maryland: $40,000 to $400,000 
  • New York: $20 to $5 Million, Free Park Pass
  • New York: $20 to $5 Million, Free Park Pass
  • Connecticut: Free Drink
  • New Jersey: Free Beer

Following Ohio’s lead, states add lottery prize as vaccine incentive

  • Arkansas: lottery tickets and gift certificates for hunting and fishing licenses
  • California: $1.5 million each for 10 Californians; $50 gift cards either for general use or for specific grocery stores to the next 2 million people who get shots started May 27th, 21
  • Delaware: $5,000 in cash and additional prizes in twice-weekly drawings conducted by the Delaware Lottery
  • West Virginia: college scholarship, a Ford F-150 pickup truck,  custom hunting rifles and shotguns, or cash rewards with a grand prize of $1.58 million and a second-place award of $588,00

Washington: Four residents - $250,000 plus one winner — $1 million.

What do nurses think of these incentives???

I think what ever it takes to get more than 70% of eligible Americans vaccinated is fine with me.  The low hanging fruit is just about all collected...so to speak. 

macawake, MSN

Has 13 years experience.

On 6/4/2021 at 4:02 AM, NRSKarenRN said:

What do nurses think of these incentives???

I have mixed feelings about this. First of all I think it’s kind of ironic to offer people alcoholic beverages and junk food when attempting to promote public health. 

Having to pay/bribe people to do something that is in their own best interest and helps keep the society that they are a part of safer for all, to me just reflects poorly on the human race. There is also the risk that some people might wonder if there are hidden risks or a hidden agenda when the authorities resort to bribing them to do something they wouldn’t have done otherwise. I just wish we had an educated populace instead who got the vaccines because they understood that it’s the best choice, both for them and the people around them. I wish that people would trust science and actually give a crap about other people who they share this planet with. And yes, I do realize that I do sound extremely elitist and more than a tad condescending. But still, it’s how I feel. 

But at the end of the day, I’m a pragmatist. If this helps increase vaccine uptake, the end result will benefit us all. 
 

I’d be shocked if this were to happen in my own country, but it appears that several other countries have chosen the same route.


https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/14/a-gold-nose-pin-boxes-of-eggs-or-a-tax-rebate-covid-vaccine-incentives-around-the-world


https://fortune.com/2021/05/28/covid-vaccine-lottery-psychology-government-incentives-cash-payout/

Thank you for sharing.. definitely worth sending CVS an entry card  :)

NRSKarenRN, BSN, RN

Specializes in Vents, Telemetry, Home Care, Home infusion. Has 44 years experience.

Rewards after you get your vaccine

10% off a purchase after getting vaccinated at one of these locations

  • Acme
  • Albertsons
  • Carrs
  • Haggen
  • Jewel-Osco
  • Safeway
  • Randalls
  • Pavilions
  • Star Market
  • Tom Thumb
  • United Supermarkets
  • Vons
  • Shaws

Kroger: Sweepstakes to win $1 million and free groceries for a year

Publix:  $125 gift cards

Target: $5 off your purchase after getting vaccinated in a CVS based in a Target store

List of Companies offering paid-time off to employees and companies offering money to vaccinated employees.

NFL providing 50 free Super Bowl LVI tickets to vaccinated fans -- fans will have to share their story of why they decided to get the vaccination or why they will be getting vaccinated soon.

CommunityRNBSN, BSN, RN

Specializes in Community health. Has 3 years experience.

I had a very nervous patient in a while back. She said “I’m getting vaccinated because I work as an aide. The agency said they’ll give me 25 dollars if I get the shot.”  So I said “Oh that’s pretty good!”  And she said “My life is worth more than $25 dollars!” It made me chuckle. But she did get the shot. 

I'm uneasy about vaccines being monetized. They didn't do this when parents were gung ho about not vaccinating their children resulting in a resurgence of thought to be eradicated diseases/viruses. What makes this one so special? There's just something not sitting right about this. We've seen this before in history and here it is repeating itself. If they're so sure of these vaccines, why make it so the companies can't be held liable for future issues if they arise? I'm not comfortable with throwing money at people desperate enough to not think things through for a little bit of money.

Not to mention, if they had this money to throw at people all along why wasn't it used to help people when things were shut down? All I see are companies who held out when people needed it the most and are now using it as bargaining tools to control people. People should get the vaccine because they want it, and people should have the right to not get it without being stigmatized and shamed. There's more shaming for not getting this vaccine than there was before a vax and people refused to wear masks at the height of the pandemic. Why? What about the people who can't get vaxxed because it's contraindicated? What about the people who got vaxxed and still got sick because it's lost effectiveness or there was a different strain?

There are far more questions than answers and yet people out here allowing greed to supersede any logical thought out of desperation. I don't like it.

CommunityRNBSN, BSN, RN

Specializes in Community health. Has 3 years experience.

9 minutes ago, NurseBlaq said:

I'm uneasy about vaccines being monetized. They didn't do this when parents were gung ho about not vaccinating their children resulting in a resurgence of thought to be eradicated diseases/viruses. What makes this one so special? There's just something not sitting right about this. We've seen this before in history and here it is repeating itself. If they're so sure of these vaccines, why make it so the companies can't be held liable for future issues if they arise? I'm not comfortable with throwing money at people desperate enough to not think things through for a little bit of money.

Not to mention, if they had this money to throw at people all along why wasn't it used to help people when things were shut down? All I see are companies who held out when people needed it the most and are now using it as bargaining tools to control people. People should get the vaccine because they want it, and people should have the right to not get it without being stigmatized and shamed. There's more shaming for not getting this vaccine than there was before a vax and people refused to wear masks at the height of the pandemic. Why? What about the people who can't get vaxxed because it's contraindicated? What about the people who got vaxxed and still got sick because it's lost effectiveness or there was a different strain?

There are far more questions than answers and yet people out here allowing greed to supersede any logical thought out of desperation. I don't like it.

I do agree with this overall. A free donut to get vaccinated is one thing, but payment is another. I am a big believer in public education campaigns— allay people’s fears if you have the research to do so, rather than giving them a check so that they ignore their fears. 

nursej22, MSN, RN

Specializes in med/surg,CV. Has 36 years experience.

I think it's unfortunate that people need more incentive than ending a global pandemic, but if that is what it takes, then so be it. I also think people should be willing to fund schools and roads, but if a lotto funds these things, what is the harm? We all understand that prevention is much cheaper than treatment. Money spent on prizes is far less than paying for hospitalization and rehabilitation. 

As for companies giving out incentives instead of helping people, I think that is inaccurate. Kroger for one, actually gave hazard pay to workers. And I think most companies tried to protect essential workers by following CDC guidelines. It's not like grocery stores could shut down altogether. 

You can say monetized while I say incentivized. Yeah, we didn't pay kids to get vaccines, but I used to give suckers and stickers to kids. My parents didn't need any incentive for me to get a polio vaccine, they were relieved and proud! 

I don't understand this idea about being able to sue a vaccine manufacturer. That is certainly not what drives them to assure safety. And the "Vaccine Court" is available to those who think they were injured, and the level of evidence needed is pretty low. 

Perhaps my area is different than yours, but I don't see any shaming for not vaccinating, in fact around here, you are shamed for getting vaccinated and for wearing a mask. 

 

24 minutes ago, nursej22 said:

I think it's unfortunate that people need more incentive than ending a global pandemic, but if that is what it takes, then so be it. I also think people should be willing to fund schools and roads, but if a lotto funds these things, what is the harm? We all understand that prevention is much cheaper than treatment. Money spent on prizes is far less than paying for hospitalization and rehabilitation. 

My state has no lottery, so we do fund those things via taxes. And lotto funds for one or two people to get a vax would go a long way to help many going homeless or hungry but that's just the way my civility is set up I guess. Prevention was wearing masks and isolating but that didn't happen and it wasn't mandated and people weren't rewarded. Matter of fact, the opposite occurred and they went homeless, hungry, and desperate. Have you been on Earth?

As for companies giving out incentives instead of helping people, I think that is inaccurate. Kroger for one, actually gave hazard pay to workers. And I think most companies tried to protect essential workers by following CDC guidelines. It's not like grocery stores could shut down altogether. 

Kroger is one company and everyone doesn't work in a grocery store. Hospitals never close, grocery stores do. Matter of fact, many businesses closed and people have been losing homes, cars, etc. So what part of that did you miss?

You can say monetized while I say incentivized. Yeah, we didn't pay kids to get vaccines, but I used to give suckers and stickers to kids. My parents didn't need any incentive for me to get a polio vaccine, they were relieved and proud! 

You're really comparing suckers and stickers to millions of dollars and college tuition? Really?

I don't understand this idea about being able to sue a vaccine manufacturer. That is certainly not what drives them to assure safety. And the "Vaccine Court" is available to those who think they were injured, and the level of evidence needed is pretty low. 

If you have side effects that were hidden you're damn right we should be able to sue. Also, as I said, if the vax are working properly and they stand by them why are they already protected via legislation? You do know it's not unheard of for medical companies to lie right?

Perhaps my area is different than yours, but I don't see any shaming for not vaccinating, in fact around here, you are shamed for getting vaccinated and for wearing a mask. 

Your area is different, however, it's happening on the internet and beyond. There are people calling for the vax to be mandated as if everyone is supposed to, or able to, form a single file line and just get the vax like we're robots in a factory.

 

I feel as if you're being intentionally obtuse, don't really understand how serious this is, or just being pessimistic or going out of your way to be simple. I refuse to believe you really don't understand the dismissiveness in some of the comments you posted. 🤔

nursej22, MSN, RN

Specializes in med/surg,CV. Has 36 years experience.

4 hours ago, NurseBlaq said:

I feel as if you're being intentionally obtuse, don't really understand how serious this is, or just being pessimistic or going out of your way to be simple. I refuse to believe you really don't understand the dismissiveness in some of the comments you posted. 🤔

People calling for a vaccine mandate are not mocking the unvaccinated, they are trying to protect the population that cannot receive a vaccine. I have been called names and declared stupid, a kool-aid drinker and a sheeple on social media because I urged people to mask and get vaccinated.  Demonstrators regularly show up at our vaccine clinics with signs declaring us to be baby-killers. So no, I don't think I'm being obtuse. I think you are the one who is being dismissive. 

 

My state is giving away a total of $2,000,000 dollars. I estimate that is equivalent to 10 hospitalizations for COVID. And many of those hospitalization are for the elderly and disadvantaged and funded by the government.  If incentives gets a 1000 more people vaccinated and prevent 100 hospitalizations and a death, I say it is worth it.

Yes my state has a lottery. I call it a tax on people who can't do math. And my state has put a lot of money into supporting people who cannot work or are in danger of losing their homes. We also got checks from the federal government and enhanced unemployment benefits. Small businesses got forgivable loans. See, all those things and incentives can happen, too. 

Yes, medical companies lie and cover up, but I think it would be pretty hard to do that with these vaccines. Can you think of any other pharmaceutical that is a closely watched as COVID vaccines? I can't. 

If you don't approve of companies offering incentives then I suggest you don't patronize them. If you happen to win a prize, give it to someone you think is more deserving. I didn't need the government payouts from last year, so I used them to support local businesses and the food bank. If I win my state's prize, I will give that away too. 

Is getting money or a truck or something else of value the wrong reason to get a vaccine? Of course it is. But at this point, I say do what is legal to get shots in arms. 

Edited by nursej22

6 hours ago, nursej22 said:

People calling for a vaccine mandate are not mocking the unvaccinated, they are trying to protect the population that cannot receive a vaccine. I have been called names and declared stupid, a kool-aid drinker and a sheeple on social media because I urged people to mask and get vaccinated.  Demonstrators regularly show up at our vaccine clinics with signs declaring us to be baby-killers. So no, I don't think I'm being obtuse. I think you are the one who is being dismissive. 

How did you get there from what I said? And you speaking from your sole experience while I'm speaking from what's happening around the country. Just say you don't want to understand what's happening outside your bubble and call it a day.

My state is giving away a total of $2,000,000 dollars. I estimate that is equivalent to 10 hospitalizations for COVID. And many of those hospitalization are for the elderly and disadvantaged and funded by the government.  If incentives gets a 1000 more people vaccinated and prevent 100 hospitalizations and a death, I say it is worth it.

You think a covid hospitalization only costs $200K? The math ain't mathing for you on that. It's so much more. Also, the elderly and disadvantaged aren't the only people affected by covid. Covid doesn't favor a race, sex, economic status, etc. Everybody is at risk. All you're doing is proving my point that people are desperate for money so they're willing to do whatever it takes when no one should be so desperate for help that they throw all logic out the window. We're not a 3rd world country yet far too many are suffering as if we are and that is a problem but have at, I guess.

Yes my state has a lottery. I call it a tax on people who can't do math. And my state has put a lot of money into supporting people who cannot work or are in danger of losing their homes. We also got checks from the federal government and enhanced unemployment benefits. Small businesses got forgivable loans. See, all those things and incentives can happen, too. 

But my state doesn't have a regular lottery nor a covid shot lottery, so again, your lottery comment is irrelevant to what I'm saying. A lot of states doubled up on foodstamps and unemployment but how far do you think that goes? The fact is people have still gone homeless and hungry in record numbers and the money now being used to bribe them into shots could AND should have been used to help them when they needed it the most which was before the vax was ever invented. Why is that so hard for you to understand? And that last sentence was pure condescension but failed to counter my point as "all those things and incentives" still didn't stop people from losing homes and going hungry but go off.

Yes, medical companies lie and cover up, but I think it would be pretty hard to do that with these vaccines. Can you think of any other pharmaceutical that is a closely watched as COVID vaccines? I can't. 

The sad part is you think covid vax is the most closely watched vaxs. There have been protests, pop-up communities, and whole thesis papers written about the vaxs we've all been receiving since childhood due to the new antivax crowd, or you've been under a rock somewhere the past few decades? Again, step outside your bubble and you'll realize life is moving right along for the rest of the world. Because you didn't see it or know about it doesn't mean it's not happening or hasn't occurred.

If you don't approve of companies offering incentives then I suggest you don't patronize them. If you happen to win a prize, give it to someone you think is more deserving. I didn't need the government payouts from last year, so I used them to support local businesses and the food bank. If I win my state's prize, I will give that away too.

I don't need your suggestions on patronizing things. The government is offering incentives so now what? The federal government is considering giving away Superbowl tickets or that's not a thing because you haven't heard of it? Nobody cares what you did or will do with things as a single person. Unless you're a millionaire or government participating in these sham incentives, what you do is again, irrelevant.

Is getting money or a truck or something else of value the wrong reason to get a vaccine? Of course it is. But at this point, I say do what is legal to get shots in arms. 

So you've been doing this back and forth thing to circle back to what I said from the beginning? Got it. Just say you want to be pessimistic and call it a day. 🙄

I can't take you serious.

nursej22, MSN, RN

Specializes in med/surg,CV. Has 36 years experience.

2 hours ago, NurseBlaq said:

I can't take you serious.

Okay then.

I don't understand why you have directed so much anger at me. I have said twice now that I'm not in favor of incentives.

As for living under a rock or in a bubble, perhaps I do. But my experience is different than what I see and read about the rest of country. 

And yeah, I've become pessimistic. I am so tired wearing a damn mask that I could scream. I'm tired of reading that hundreds of people are dying of a preventable disease every day, while vaccine clinics are being shut down due lack of patients. 

But you do you. 

2 hours ago, nursej22 said:

Okay then.

I don't understand why you have directed so much anger at me. I have said twice now that I'm not in favor of incentives.

As for living under a rock or in a bubble, perhaps I do. But my experience is different than what I see and read about the rest of country. 

And yeah, I've become pessimistic. I am so tired wearing a damn mask that I could scream. I'm tired of reading that hundreds of people are dying of a preventable disease every day, while vaccine clinics are being shut down due lack of patients. 

But you do you. 

It's not anger, it's the fact you're being intentionally obtuse only to circle back and agree with my original POV. You legit went back and forth only to arrive at what I said from the beginning. Your one experience doesn't negate the rest of the earth. You being tired of wearing a mask and whatever else results in me being the object of your pessimism why? Don't project your gripes onto me, call your local news crew and have at it on your local community since that's all you seem to recognize while ignoring the rest of the planet.

nursej22, MSN, RN

Specializes in med/surg,CV. Has 36 years experience.

2 minutes ago, NurseBlaq said:

It's not anger, it's the fact you're being intentionally obtuse only to circle back and agree with my original POV. You legit went back and forth only to arrive at what I said from the beginning. Your one experience doesn't negate the rest of the earth. You being tired of wearing a mask and whatever else results in me being the object of your pessimism why? Don't project your gripes onto me, call your local news crew and have at it on your local community since that's all you seem to recognize while ignoring the rest of the planet.

Ooh, it's like you're in my head and know all my thoughts and intentions. You know for a fact what I am being intentional about. You are that good or clairvoyant. 

Projecting my gripes on you? Thou doth project too much. 

I ignore the rest of the planet? Hardly. I've made several posts about what India and Brazil are enduring. 

Yes, I do recognize my local community. Perhaps because I work for the local health department and am immersed in case and vaccine numbers daily. My daughter works with a local nonprofit that helps people experiencing homelessness and hunger, so I hear a lot about that too. 

So you have jumped from concerns about companies controlling people, to vaccine safety,  to food stamps and poverty, and now to the world. So instead of repeatedly insulting me, why don't you share what your solutions are? 

8 minutes ago, nursej22 said:

Ooh, it's like you're in my head and know all my thoughts and intentions. You know for a fact what I am being intentional about. You are that good or clairvoyant. 

Projecting my gripes on you? Thou doth project too much. 

I ignore the rest of the planet? Hardly. I've made several posts about what India and Brazil are enduring. 

Yes, I do recognize my local community. Perhaps because I work for the local health department and am immersed in case and vaccine numbers daily. My daughter works with a local nonprofit that helps people experiencing homelessness and hunger, so I hear a lot about that too. 

So you have jumped from concerns about companies controlling people, to vaccine safety,  to food stamps and poverty, and now to the world. So instead of repeatedly insulting me, why don't you share what your solutions are? 

Or I just legit went paragraph by paragraph responding to you. Again, projection. Your comprehension ain't comprehending.

You initially came with condescension and BS and now I'm insulting you because I called it out? Girl if you don't get.... 🤣

nursej22, MSN, RN

Specializes in med/surg,CV. Has 36 years experience.

28 minutes ago, NurseBlaq said:

Or I just legit went paragraph by paragraph responding to you. Again, projection. Your comprehension ain't comprehending.

You initially came with condescension and BS and now I'm insulting you because I called it out? Girl if you don't get.... 🤣

So someone who disagrees with you is condescending, obtuse, or lives under a rock/in a bubble. Got it. 

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.