Right in the middle of an unexpected fire alarm (a kindergarten student pulled one), I had a student with no history or asthma or food allergies go into anaphylaxis! I have given epi once before to a loved one, but this was my first time giving it to a student. The student was so scared but she really did amazing and she responded well to the epi and breathing treatment I started her on.
Thankfully because of the fire alarm situation EMS was already on the property and able to come.
Everyone was panicked, and despite never wanting bad things to happen to a student, it was a little exciting to be in full acute care nurse mode for a moment.