I feel like they should change the title of this site to "reasons why my job sucks" - page 2
by hershdawg 28,023 Views | 233 Comments
People on here need to realize that when you complain on here (and for some that all those individuals do) it really dissuades us new grads from continuing into the profession. First and most obvious question, Does anyone... Read More
- 23Jan 19, '13 by KelRN215Quote from hershdawgThe name of the site is ALL NURSES. It is for ALL nurses... ones who hate their jobs included. The purpose of this site isn't to coddle new grads into thinking the real world is great or to persuade people to enter nursing but to provide a forum for nurses to share. People who are unhappy or who have things to vent about are more inclined to post... it's human nature. Just like people who have complaints about you are more likely to fill out their customer service surveys... you'll get to experience those soon enough if you haven't already.People on here need to realize that when you complain on here (and for some that all those individuals do) it really dissuades us new grads from continuing into the profession. First and most obvious question, Does anyone actually like being a Nurse? I mean granted I don't think anyone loves all aspects of their job, but does it seem like a nightmare every day? Secondly, name the best part of your area and your biggest pet peeve.
Sorry had to rant.
I love being a nurse. I love what I do. That doesn't mean there aren't parts of it that I have hated in my time as a nurse.
- 2I never said anything about the job being unicorns and rainbows or anything along those lines. I am in no way saying that nursing or any job in existence is like that, so forgive me if I gave the wrong impression. Yes I know there are downsides and that not everyone here posts with regards to new grads. I am just saying does anyone enjoy there job? plain and simple.
- 13Jan 19, '13 by VICEDRNI love the er and I hate nursing. Much like yourself, I couldn't wait to be a nurse and refused to relate to "whiners" on here who I thought probably never worked in some other profession. How could these people complain about working 36 hours a week at these pay rates? Ha ha! My advice is that you start listening and stop critiquing. People like you make my life harder. Everyone wants to be understood.
- 17Jan 19, '13 by Sun0408I think this site gives new grads and nursing students a taste of what nursing really is.. OP, do you have children? If so, how are they when they are sick?? Not fun to be around, whinny, you can't do anything right for them etc.. Well that's how some of our pts feel. We are seeing most of them at the worst point in their lives either by sickness that will likely kill them or lead to more complications or through some kind of trauma. Trauma ICU nurse here So it is not a fun time for them, things will get stressful, hairy and tense.
If its not the pts we have issues with it is the overbearing families, the ones that can not or will not see their loved one is dying or very sick. The families that bring in food to eat in front of their NPO family member, demand this or that or will not let us do our jobs..This is one of the hardest parts of nursing, its a balance and a struggle sometimes. Please don't get me wrong, over the years I have had too many pts to count and only a small percentage of them or their family are difficult. Those are the ones you will read about on here.
Do I love my job...yep yep I do but I also hate it sometimes too. I hate it when my 92 yr old pt is a full code, eat up with cancer and the family refuses pain meds. I hate the uppers that have no clue what we do and add nonsense stuff to our already full plate. Take each vent at face value,learn from it and move on. I can promise you will experience some of it yourself.
- 12Jan 19, '13 by LadyFree28There are TOO Many subjects on AN that do not reflect what OP is saying...There is a section called "Nurses Rock" for the "ra ra happy" promotion of nursing...if that's your cup if tea...
As for me, I'll keep taking AN like I have since 2004...with a dose of reality!!