ICU RNs running CRRT?Register Today!
- by liz0105 Aug 5Hi everyone,
I'm curious to know if any ICU RN's out there are currently practicing in an ICU where they are called upon to do CRRT at the bedside. Currently, all HD/CRRT/SLED are done by HD RNs in our hospital, but there is an initiative to train ICU RNs to do CRRT (only). We have been told that the ratio for this assignment would be 1:1...
Just curious to know anyone's experience with this. Thanks in advance!
- 4,800 Views
- Aug 5 by IvesRNIn our 24 bed ICU level 2 trauma center we as ICU nurses do the CRRT. The patient is a 1:1 as long as the CRRT is ordered. The dialysis nurse does all the conventional hemodialysis but we do the CRRT.
- Aug 5 by umcRNICU nurses do the CRRT in my PICU, however we are at little silly and staff both the pump and patient (so the patient is 1:2). Granted some days those kids can be busy and it's great to have someone just on the pump but then there are also long days where the nurse on the pump does nothing all day
- Aug 5 by DodongoIn our entire system the ICU nurses run CRRT. The assignment is made 1:1.
- Aug 5 by juliaannWe SLED our own patients. It is a 1:1 assignment. Our dialysis nurses do bedside HD.
- Aug 5 by DeLanaHarvickWannabeLike several previous posters - we do CRRT, the patient is a 1:1 but HD RNs come up to us to do traditional dialysis. I haven't seen peritoneal dialysis in the ICU, but on the floor, nurses did that and did not have any less of a patient assignment.
- Aug 6 by IheartICUnursingIn my unit (MICU) ICU RN's run CRRT- we are still 2 patients/ nurse, but only one patient per nurse can be on CCRT. Even when your patient is fairly stable, it can still be busy with the frequent labs, gases, troubleshooting the machine, changing filters, changing settings hourly, etc. But it is fun
- Aug 7 by MartinaLorraineRNs run CRRT on my unit, a 28 bed MRICU. These patients are only 1:1 if they are maxed on 3 or more pressors, have multiple blood products running, or some other special circumstance depending on how short staffed we are and which supervisor is on that shift lol. We can also have an open bed with CRRT, which gets a bit annoying if you get a sick admission or something is going bad with your CRRT patient.
I was also under the impression that all units had RNs running CRRT. The only thing we don't do is change the sets and do initial setup, that the HD nurses do
- Aug 7 by PMFB-RNYes ICU RNs run both CRRT and HD in our unit. They used to send HD RNs up to do HD but then figured that they could save money having the ICU RN run that too.