- 1Jun 7, '11 by Sugar-PhosphateI have to say, throughout the day and the more I talk the yuckier my mouth feels. Gum is out of the question and I dont't always have the time to brush my teeth every few hours. How do you keep your breath fresh for 12 hours? There is nothing worse than halitosis. Right now I use listerine pocket packs, but they only last a little while until my lunch when I brush. Weird I know.
- 1Jun 7, '11 by TheCommuter Asst. AdminHave you tried a tongue scraper? I have found that most of my bad breath is eliminated when I carefully scrape the white biofilm coating off my tongue upon awakening every day. Perhaps you can take a tongue scraper to work, douse some mouthwash on it, and hide somewhere for five minutes to scrape.
Also, I like Altoid mints. They are small, discreet, and cheap.
- 0Jun 7, '11 by pedicurnQuote from Emergency RNAgree good advice to see a dentist.A foul smelling mouth is usually simply indicative of some sort of dental issue (caries, gingivitis, plaque, etc). I would visit a dentist just to preclude that as a possibility before assuming anything more.
See the dentist first, then see a doc to investigate other sources if dental is fine.
GERD, sinusitis and medication are some other reasons for bad breath
- 21Jun 7, '11 by JeneraterRNHey, what do you call a elderly burned-out, nasty, irritable RN with bad breath? Drum roll.......a supercallousfragilenursethatsvexedwithhalitosis! Sorry, I had to. Anyway, altoids work great for me, too if it is just related to dry mouth and food intake. Hope that helps!
- 3Jun 7, '11 by applewhiternmake sure you aren't dehydrated, which will cause bad breath. make a point to grab a cup of water here and there thru-out your day. maybe squeeze some lemon in it. i brush my tongue, too, and i don't drink coffee at work because it makes some yucky breath. i pop in an eclipse chewing gum as i go into report!
- 3Jun 7, '11 by Chin upQuote from applewhiterni agree. water, water, water. it does wonders. drink water throughout the day, eat fruit for snacks and take your break outside. you will notice a huge difference, immediately. peace!make sure you aren't dehydrated, which will cause bad breath. make a point to grab a cup of water here and there thru-out your day. maybe squeeze some lemon in it. i brush my tongue, too, and i don't drink coffee at work because it makes some yucky breath. i pop in an eclipse chewing gum as i go into report!
- 2Jun 7, '11 by Turd FergusonQuote from roser13Sugar free gum for the win. I always have gum in my mouth, but usually tuck it in my cheek so I'm not constantly chewing.Tread carefully with the Altoids. I adopted them at one time also. Six months later, I had 5 cavities in an otherwise cavity-free mouth.