New Year, Norovirus, and Me - page 2
by VivaLasViejas 11,500 Views | 47 Comments Guide
Ever notice that your values change when you're throwing up? "I don't care about my new $200 shoes.......BLAAAARGH!" Lord, I hate being sick. Especially THIS kind of sick. It's been four or five days (I've lost count) and I... Read More
- 0Jan 7, '13 by VivaLasViejas GuideUgh, the green-apple quickstep came back with a vengeance this morning. I swear, I have NO idea how a person who hasn't eaten a decent meal since last Wednesday can manufacture that much....um....effluent. But I don't suppose it matters, because it is what it is and it's apparently not over yet. Lovely.
- 1Jan 7, '13 by Paul'in'FLSorry for your state of wishing for death. I had Noro four years ago, starting during a week I had scheduled to be VERY light so I could study for upcoming speciality boards. Fetal position and sobbing really scared my SO half to death. Ten days later, he drove me three hours for the test in pouring rain while I glanced at my notes and sipped Gatorade and dozed. That's love (he took a personal day to do this!) The fact that I passed was practically a miracle.
Pneumonia and kidney stones were a walk in the park for me next to this killer virus. Good luck and recover soon!
- 1Jan 7, '13 by GrnTeaI had an encounter with campylobacter during my field case manager days (I thought that KFC tasted a little odd). It was three days before I was well enough to go to the ER, where they yeah-yeahed me when I said I thought I should lie down until somebody thought to take postural signs. Going from 110/50 flat to 72/? sitting is enough to get attention, I guess. Though I had shaking chills they plunked two liters of room-temp (air-conditioned room temp) RL into me, which made me shiver even more, though it did improve my BP and I made some urine for a change. This was not my most fun day.
- 1Jan 7, '13 by SwansonRNI thought norovirus was a shorter duration illness? 5 days?? Bless you. I did my capstone rotation on an HIV/infectious disease floor and one of my last patients was this adorable 98 year old woman that came from a nursing home with noro. I remember her cracking me up describing how she was vomiting so hard that she'd have diarrhea simultaneously. Well, I got home, ate some leftovers from an Italian restaurant and then the rest is history. Nothing can make a person feel more pathetic than laying on the bathroom floor weeping or sitting on the toilet with a bucket in your lap. The symptoms lasted only 24 hours, but my body was ravaged and to this day I still can't eat what I initially threw up Get well soon!
- 3Jan 7, '13 by brilloheadI have an esophageal disease that results in extreme vomiting. (The disease itself doesn't cause vomiting -- but if I do need to vomit, my esophageal disease means that it will be some of the worst projectile vomiting you have ever seen, complete with busted blood vessels in my face and eyes from the strain.) I always laugh at the concept of those itty bitty emesis basins... what the heck are they supposed to do? Not even a wash-basin will contain my spew -- need something with at least a 12" side-wall height. If there were a Gastrointestinal X-Games, I would win that competition hands-down.
While 36 weeks pregnant, I contracted a lovely version of the gastrointestinal version of a clearance sale (Everything Must Go!). Had to love the OB nurse's expression when I squeezed out an almost-brown urine sample; they got the IV going pretty quickly after that. Managed to end up with two golf-ball sized hemorrhoids as well. (My midwife said it looked like I had testicles down there -- ended up having them surgically removed after they thrombosed.)
In other words, I totally feel your pain, sister! Hang in there, it won't last forever!
- 3Jan 7, '13 by not.done.yet GuideI don't know if mine is noro or not, but I do know I was wretching so violently that my diaphragm would not unlock enough to let me take a breath in between heaves. To make matters more lovely, my two teenage boys have had some flu-like upper respiratory thing going on with multiple-day fevers. I have not caught that one yet. Hoping it skips me. Sneezing in this condition would destroy my underwear collection.