Losing to gain?...Register Today!
- by exit96 Feb 18I took the job. Been a MedSurg RN for a little over a year, small town medsurg. LPN 1 yr, and CNA 3yrs prior...anyway...Learned some great stuff, but needed to get into more learning and exposure to more acute pt's. Have always thought I wanted to try E.D. nursing. I took the job in the E.D. 25 miles away, presently i walk around the corner and across the lawn to get to work. I also took a $2/hr paycut.
With no chance of getting to an ICU, or our ED where I currently am, I took the job. Sheesh, it kinda hurts taking the paycut, but there were more than that on the table, I will now get ED experience and keep moving from there. I am a loyal, hard working person and I don't miss days of work, so it feels weird leaving so soon...
Have any of you taken a $2/hr paycut to switch jobs in nursing??
- Feb 18 by not.done.yetYep. Took a pay cut to go to day shift. No regrets here.
- Feb 18 by RNewbieI would take a pay cut if it allowed me to gain the kind of exp I wanted. For people who do not live paycheck to paycheck, $2 less is only a couple hundred. I would not miss a couple hundred a month.
- Feb 18 by ChristineNI just took a paycut to go from PRN to full-time, however with my benefits like PTO and tuition assistance I feel like I am breaking even. Have you compared benefits at your new position to your old position to see how they compare? I personally would still have accepted the job you did, even with the pay cut
- Feb 18 by NurseCardI have done that, yes. If it's a job that you really want, then to me it's worth it.
- Feb 18 by AltraYep, have done it. It was worth it.
- Feb 18 by Good Morning, GilI haven't yet, but I would if it was something I wanted to do. That is the definition of the nursing profession. Any job one takes that is considered more ideal in this field is going to involve a pay cut, at least most of the time.
- Feb 18 by DEgalRNI took a $4 pay cut moving from acute care to public health. But it was the right move for me and I'm glad I did it.
- Feb 18 by LTCNSI took a $3 pay cut to move from LTC to a wound healing/hyperbaric clinic. Some days it's worth it and others I'm not so sure. Benefits and hours are good. It's not a bad job, I just have physical issues making it more difficult for me to work 5 days a week.
- Feb 18 by healthstarI would take a pay cut in a heartbeat! My health comes first, and if the current job is hard on your body mentally, physically, emotionally , and you are not happy at all in that environment, the extra money is not worth it! As a new graduate I would focus more on getting a job and experience over money. I understand that money is very important to survive, and every dollar counts. But I would rather sacrifice by eating whatever I can afford and save my body, mind, and avoid depression!