How do you keep your hands in good shape?
- 0Mar 8, '09 by LilyBlueThe soap and waterless hand sanitizer they provide at my workplace is not getting along so great with my hands. They are usually rough and sometimes even red from washing so much. I've never tried a soap that didn't do this, by the way.
I use Gold Bond Ultimate Healing lotion, and that seems to help a little. Moreso than anything else I've tried. But I'm interested in what others do. I hate the thought of there being lots of cracks (portals of entry for infection) in my hands. I keep short nails, etc, but my cuticles get really dry, too.
- 1,714 Views
- 1Mar 8, '09 by nightmareI have an instant and very nasty reaction to the hand sanitiser we have at work and just will not use it anymore.I do wash my hands thoroughly with soap and water after each resident however.I use Neutrogena Norwegian formula to try and keep my hands from cracking up.( now,if only that worked on brains as well!)
- 0Mar 8, '09 by djandkmommyEczema runs in my family :zzzzz The products that work best to keep it under control for us are Aquaphor and Bag Balm (which I think is what the previous poster meant as udder cream). Both are very thick so we use them at night - the really feel greasy. I like to use cloth gloves on top so my clothes don't get smeared too badly.
Maybe if you used a more conventional hand lotion during the day (Gold Bond is good) and then the thicker creme at night?
Of course, sometimes we have to used cortizone if the skin got too cracked, etc.
- 0Mar 8, '09 by jnksI have done all the above with mixed results, but have VERY DRY hands as well as occasional eczema breakouts on my hands when they get really bad. My lifesaver: Mimyx Cream. It is RX, I believe, as I got mine prescribed by my dermatologist. It is REALLY expensive but worth every penny. It is not greasy and absorbs right into the skin. It lasts and really moisturizes well, so I can use it before work or during the day PRN.
- 0Mar 8, '09 by abundantjoy07I make them run on the treadmill...30 mins of cardio and 15 mins of weight training. Then I usually clip, buff, polish and repeat!
It's been a long night.
I use Avon Intensive Care Therapy cream for my hands after washing...The stuff is as thick as a stick of butter and takes forever to rub in but it's great!
- 1Mar 8, '09 by Christie RN2006Quote from djandkmommyUdderly Smooth Udder Cream is a brand of lotion... google it, its good stuff I think its fairly new to my area and its quickly becoming popular.Eczema runs in my family :zzzzz The products that work best to keep it under control for us are Aquaphor and Bag Balm (which I think is what the previous poster meant as udder cream). Both are very thick so we use them at night - the really feel greasy. I like to use cloth gloves on top so my clothes don't get smeared too badly.