Should RNs be Required to Have A BSN?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in Med-Surg, Trauma, Ortho, Neuro, Cardiac.

I WANT THAT CHOCOLATE RATCHET!!!!

Just kidding. I wanted to ask a question to Mattsmoms post in that thread and it closed as I typed it. :)

When Canada "grandfathered" nurses in when they required BSNs of all RNs, did they award those nurses BSNs, or did they simply allow them to continue to practice as RNs.

Am I making sense? Can those grandfathered nurses consider themselves RN, BSN's?

Anyone in Canada?

Specializes in Med-Surg, Trauma, Ortho, Neuro, Cardiac.

p.s. In respect to the moderator who closed the thread, please please do not debate should RNs be required to have a BSN. That was more as a joke. I'm not inerested in that debate. I just had a question as stated above. :)

You deserve the chocolate, Tweets.... :chuckle

Specializes in ER, ICU, L&D, OR.

RNs should not be required to be BSNs nor should they be required to be MSNs

If the want to be an AD RN and this meets current laws and it does then that is up to the individual.

Ive worked with all sorts of different degreed RNs and they still boil down to being a RN. The bigger degree does not necessarily mean a better nurse, maybe a bigger ego but thats all.

LOL! Tweety,

You GET the chocolate! :)

I'm guessing I booboo'd bigtime, eh? Ah well...wouldn't be the first time.... :chair: :chuckle

Hey Tweety, Canada did not give Diploma nurses BSNs, they were just exempt from the requirement. The requirement for BSNs is for new nurse registrants only and only in certain provinces since each province has it's own board of nursing just like each state does. Nurses without a BSN can't consider themselves RN, BSNs but they can not be discriminated against for not having the BSN. (They are considered the same as new nurses with the degree).

Specializes in ICU.

Here in Australia.................:chuckle:

No when we converted to all BSN reguirement for registration there was some talk of making non-BSN RN's do a "bridging" course but that fell through. This is one of the reasons though, why our registration requirements are "competency based".

Most of the RN's I worked with did not have the Bachelors degree and were still RN's. Many didn't consider it worth their precious time off to go for the degree. Heck I remember back in the 1970's when we were all told that you would have to have a BScN by 1980, then they extendeded. It's only in the last couple of years that they closed the two year programmes for RN.

However the facility was full of posters from the University advertising their courses to become BScN.

Specializes in 5 yrs OR, ASU Pre-Op 2 yr. ER.

What about the diploma RNs in this situation?

Canada had hospital trained and Community College trained nurses. Hospital programmes were closed down years ago and the college diplomas are now defunct. They were and are RN's.

It's Bachelors RN or LPN in our training path these days.

We never had an associate's degree program for nurses in Canada that I am aware of. It was all diploma or BSN.

+ Add a Comment