1. NEVER doubt your own assessment, even if you were told in report everything was fine
2. Protect your IV lines! Flush them at the start of each shift. Check them AT LEAST every four hours, AT LEAST hourly if a vesicant is infusing.
3. Admit you don't know before you try to wing it
4. Do NOT apologize for calling a physician
5. Learn the signs of delirium. When those signs definitively appear, check vitals, a blood sugar and bladder scan the patient. Also check if a recent UA & culture, or blood cultures have been sent. You could save a life!
6. Remember that tech and clerk duties are your responsibility even if they are not your JOB
7. When you have to pee and do a million other things at work, pee first. Unless you're in a code.
8. Learn which of your fellow nurses are more helpful and knowledgeable, and make sure to repay them with your assistance.
9. WRITE IT DOWN, even if you are certain you'll remember
10. It's okay to laugh and cry with your patients. Really.