Transgender nurses?

Posted
by munkyfusic munkyfusic (New) New Pre-Student

Hey y'all,

I'm preparing to go to nursing school and I'm also starting my transition. It's a really scary, bizarre, interesting, and fulfilling time for me. I think that it's really important to have transgender nurses. I'm just wondering, how represented are we in the field? What are some barriers you have found in nursing? Have you had any issues with getting into nursing school or getting licensed as a transgender person? Have you had issues with employers? Coworkers? What kind of nursing did you all get into, and why?

If you're not out and don't feel comfortable commenting here and outing yourself, you can message me.

Thanks!

Delia37, MSN

Specializes in Critical Care. Has 15 years experience.

I had worked with several transgender nurses in the past and honestly, it was never an issue. The fact you are transgender shouldn't have any bearing on you obtaining your license.

36 minutes ago, Delia37 said:

I had worked with several transgender nurses in the past and honestly, it was never an issue. The fact you are transgender shouldn't have any bearing on you obtaining your license.

Someone I know had to fight to get into nursing school in Louisiana. The Louisiana SBON told her that her transition would prevent her from safely practicing nursing. She had to appeal the decision and is now able to go to school, but if she had any less fight in her she might have just accepted the decision, and it makes me wonder how many other trans people have been told the same thing. She's the only other trans person I know of personally who's pursuing a career in nursing.

It's heartening to know you worked with transgender nurses, because that means we're at least able to get into the field. I agree with you that it shouldn't have any bearing on becoming licensed, but the ignorance is very real and I want to set realistic expectations for the struggles I may face.

EDNURSE20, BSN

Specializes in ED, med-surg, peri op. Has 4 years experience.

I’ve only meet one transgender nurse. Never got in her way, and she was well liked in all areas she worked in.

there are always going to be people that don’t approve, but if your a good at your job then for the most part you won’t have any issues. (The same for any nurse really)

Nature_walker, ASN, BSN, RN

Specializes in psych. Has 5 years experience.

I just wanted to say congratulations on your transition and I wish you all the best in nursing school!!

Emergent, RN

Specializes in ER. Has 28 years experience.

Just be a good nurse and respectful and nice to your coworkers. Don't make a huge deal about your status as a transgender person. Just do your job well, and be a great co-worker. I assumed once you have transitioned you will look like the gender that you have chosen. People might not even realize.

Keep in mind that other people have different opinions about this new trend in society. Hopefully they just keep their mouths shut and are polite, if they disagree. If they aren't I'm sure that goes against company policy and anti-discrimination laws.

DavidFR, BSN, MSN, RN

Specializes in Oncology, ID, Hepatology, Occy Health. Has 35 years experience.

I know a health care assistant (nurses aide or "aide soignant" here in France) who is transitioning male to female. The hospital and most staff have been very supportive.

Of course there have been the minority who are snide, but as a trans person I'm sure you're already well aware such ignorant people exist. I had this hassle for being gay when I went through nursing school in the 80's. Now I'm glad to say being gay isn't an issue most of the time, hence I hope we can move forward in the same way as a society with our attitude to trans issues.

If anything, this will possibly make you a better nurse in some respects because you'll be sensitive to issues and problems most of us never have to face.

I wish you all the best in both your transition and your nursing school.

I’ve worked with transgendered nurses, no one cares. They were just like all the other nurses. I never heard any snickers or conversation at all.

JadedCPN, BSN, RN

Specializes in Pediatrics, Pediatric Float, PICU, NICU. Has 15 years experience.

On 7/17/2020 at 8:59 AM, Emergent said:

Keep in mind that other people have different opinions about this new trend in society. Hopefully they just keep their mouths shut and are polite, if they disagree. If they aren't I'm sure that goes against company policy and anti-discrimination laws.

I just want to say that referring to being transgender as a trend comes off slightly condescending, even if that is not the intent.

OP I am not transgendered but am fellow LGBTQA+, just wanting to wish you the best.

HandsOffMySteth

Has 3 years experience.

32 minutes ago, JadedCPN said:

I just want to say that referring to being transgender as a trend comes off slightly condescending, even if that is not the intent.

OP I am not transgendered but am fellow LGBTQA+, just wanting to wish you the best.

I don't view it as condescending. I don't think Emergent meant it that way. It is a trend ,however.

https://www.gminsights.com/industry-analysis/sex-reassignment-surgery-market

Nothing wrong with that.

DavidFR, BSN, MSN, RN

Specializes in Oncology, ID, Hepatology, Occy Health. Has 35 years experience.

20 minutes ago, HandsOffMySteth said:

I don't view it as condescending. I don't think Emergent meant it that way. It is a trend ,however.

https://www.gminsights.com/industry-analysis/sex-reassignment-surgery-market

Nothing wrong with that.

I hate to be picky but I agree that calling it a trend makes it sound like people have a choice, like it's a fad. People don't wake up and decide "I'll be trans today" in the same way as people might decide "I think I'll go vegan" - that IS a trend!

That there might be more people using hormone blockers or having surgery is an indication of availability and uptake, not in the number of people being trans who have always been there.

I'm sorry to seem sensitive but I used to hate it when people talked of being gay as a trend, as if I just decided to be gay one day because I thought it was cool.

I realise there was no harmful intention in the post and I really don't mean to get at anybody.

HandsOffMySteth

Has 3 years experience.

5 minutes ago, DavidFR said:

I hate to be picky but I agree that calling it a trend makes it sound like people have a choice, like it's a fad. People don't wake up and decide "I'll be trans today" in the same way as people might decide "I think I'll go vegan" - that IS a trend!

That there might be more people using hormone blockers or having surgery is an indication of availability and uptake, not in the number of people being trans who have always been there.

I'm sorry to seem sensitive but I used to hate it when people talked of being gay as a trend, as if I just decided to be gay one day because I thought it was cool.

I realise there was no harmful intention in the post and I really don't mean to get at anybody.

The most common definition of trend is something that is increasing in frequency(as in statistics). Of course trend can also mean a fad as you pointed out. So yeah, I can see that. Perhaps a poor choice of words but essentially true using the most common definition. I guess it's a matter of perspective.