Jump to content

Students injected with wrong item

School   (1,465 Views 18 Comments)
by aprilmoss aprilmoss (Member) Member Nurse

aprilmoss has 20 years experience and specializes in School Nurse.

1,976 Profile Views; 257 Posts

NutmeggeRN has 25 years experience as a BSN and specializes in kids.

2 Followers; 6 Articles; 3,869 Posts; 42,824 Profile Views

Yikes!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JenTheSchoolRN is a BSN, RN and specializes in School nursing.

2,520 Posts; 23,862 Profile Views

I'm confused as to why they would have brought insulin with them. Glad all the students are okay!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NutmeggeRN has 25 years experience as a BSN and specializes in kids.

2 Followers; 6 Articles; 3,869 Posts; 42,824 Profile Views

Grabbed the wrong stuff from their base refridgerator, that's my guess?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JenTheSchoolRN is a BSN, RN and specializes in School nursing.

2,520 Posts; 23,862 Profile Views

Just now, NutmeggeRN said:

Grabbed the wrong stuff from their base refridgerator, that's my guess?

I'm guessing. Maybe a take away step will be to label their insulin with a giant safety label or say a brightly colored piece of tape. Yikes indeed, since it would seem not checking of the vial itself was done before administering even after the wrong vials were packed.

My take away is that since we are all human and I am going to triple check everything...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoosier_RN has 20 years experience as a MSN and specializes in LTC, home health, hospice, ICU, ER, dialysis.

3 Followers; 1,570 Posts; 3,254 Profile Views

I live close to where this happened. If sounds like these kids were part of a health sciences program (called C4 here, not sure what called elsewhere). Hopefully, this will remind these kids to ALWAYS do multiple checks on course of treatment prior to touching a patient!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feral.Cat.Herder has 26 years experience as a LPN and specializes in Peds, MS, DIDD, Corrections, HH, LTC, School Nurse.

1 Follower; 187 Posts; 2,251 Profile Views

14 minutes ago, Hoosier_RN said:

I live close to where this happened. If sounds like these kids were part of a health sciences program (called C4 here, not sure what called elsewhere). Hopefully, this will remind these kids to ALWAYS do multiple checks on course of treatment prior to touching a patient!

I too hope the student of this program learned a valuable lesson, but I would think they had an instructor right? Wouldn't she be primarily responsible and expected to check what the students are giving?  I know that's how it worked when I was in nursing school. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CanIcallmymom has 4 years experience.

276 Posts; 890 Profile Views

Definitely a good lesson for the students. I don't think the students were the ones doing the injecting. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoosier_RN has 20 years experience as a MSN and specializes in LTC, home health, hospice, ICU, ER, dialysis.

3 Followers; 1,570 Posts; 3,254 Profile Views

10 hours ago, Feral.Cat.Herder said:

I too hope the student of this program learned a valuable lesson, but I would think they had an instructor right? Wouldn't she be primarily responsible and expected to check what the students are giving?  I know that's how it worked when I was in nursing school. 

They weren't getting a lesson, per se, they were getting TB tests to be able to complete clinicals, according to news sources. But I hope this teaches them that lesson. Sorry I wasn't clear on that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feral.Cat.Herder has 26 years experience as a LPN and specializes in Peds, MS, DIDD, Corrections, HH, LTC, School Nurse.

1 Follower; 187 Posts; 2,251 Profile Views

11 hours ago, Hoosier_RN said:

They weren't getting a lesson, per se, they were getting TB tests to be able to complete clinicals, according to news sources. But I hope this teaches them that lesson. Sorry I wasn't clear on that

My bad, for some reason when I read the article I thought they were nursing students from the Technical Career Center. 

Edited by Feral.Cat.Herder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

125 Posts; 1,754 Profile Views

Of course, the diabetics won't fare well given TB derivative rather than their insulin, either.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ruby_jane has 10 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

3 Followers; 2,541 Posts; 9,767 Profile Views

YOWSA.  I get this. The nurse did not check the vial before injection (one of those pesky rights).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×