Feeling lack of respect

Specialties Geriatric

Published

Specializes in Post Acute, Med/Surg, ED, Nurse Manager.

I am really feeling a lack of respect at my work. I was hired from RN floor nurse work on a cart and charge nurse, into a manager (Rcm)role in July. Only every month it turned into just wait we need better staffing. We can't do it just yet ect. Meanwhile I helped pick up extra train in on my days off. I did quarterlies, I did recaps each month ect. Then they hired a new RCM. My spot 2 weeks ago. I was assured oh, the next is yours. We want you on our rehab side. We are so sorry. It will not happen again. We may want to use you as a charge nurse off the cart. That's fine bit they moved someone with a lot of complaints to admissions/charge.

Then today they hired another RCM. I already had an interview, negotiated wages, and scedules, all of it. Really upset. But today, I come home to a nursing comission letter stating I was turned in for inappropriate delegation. There was zero evidence and it was closed. I didn't even get a call from work about this AT ALL.

I just feel disrespected. I come in extra to help out, I work basicly as weekend manager on the cart. I handle staffing, A&I, allegations, problems in the building, labs and treatments for other nurses in a 100+ bed facility. I always show up, I get good feed back. But lately I just feel dumped on. I love geriatrics but I am thinking of packing it in for a hospital job.

You deserve better treatment after giving so much. I would look elsewhere.

1 Votes

I've seen this happen so many times in my LTC/SNF facility. I'm sorry they are pulling you around. I would cut my losses and quietly start looking for a management position at another place. Specify in the interview you are looking to transfer your floor and charge experiences into an admin or leadership role and don't want to do exclusively bedside anymore. I've noticed that there is a lot of overlap in roles (like our DON and ADON do quite a bit of patient care), but what you're describing is that they are purposefully passing you up for other new hires -probably because you are a great nurse and they can't afford to lose you!

best of luck :)

Specializes in Dialysis.

Look for another job, and be unavailable to "extra help" unless you need the $$$.

Are you by any chance young? I have found that no matter how 'good' you are, if you have youth on your side they will work you like a dog in the positions older nurses may no longer wish to tackle. I'm not saying older nurses can't be fast, because they can be very fast. Experience beats youth every time... What I am saying is that may be a factor. Once, when I was a whippersnapper, I was qualified for a promotion. But, I had endless amounts of energy and they weren't about to let that get away from the floor.

Specializes in Dialysis.
Are you by any chance young? I have found that no matter how 'good' you are, if you have youth on your side they will work you like a dog in the positions older nurses may no longer wish to tackle. I'm not saying older nurses can't be fast, because they can be very fast. Experience beats youth every time... What I am saying is that may be a factor. Once, when I was a whippersnapper, I was qualified for a promotion. But, I had endless amounts of energy and they weren't about to let that get away from the floor.

It may be totally opposite. I'm in my 50s and had the same issue. I quit doing the extra. I no longer got promised promotions (and lied to) but at least I'm not killing myself for others to walk all over me, either. It was the young whippersnappers who did it to me and even made it seem like my fault. I just remember that someday, someone will return the favor to them...

1 Votes
Specializes in oncology, MS/tele/stepdown.

I hope you are able to quickly move to another job where you are valued.

Specializes in Geriatrics, Dialysis.

You are being disrespected and taken for granted. It wouldn't be so bad if you hadn't already been promised the new position just to have them then hire somebody else, and this happened not once but twice. It's not that unusual in LTC for management to decide they can't afford to lose a floor nurse because they are chronically short staffed so instead of promoting from within they will hire from outside but to offer you the job and then go elsewhere is lousy.

Similar thing happened a couple of years ago where I work where and the nurse that was affected left, so management's decision didn't help retain floor staff anyway. Then just recently a nurse that had been promised since her hire date that she would get the next open day position was left on nights when the DON hired a new nurse for days because that was supposedly the only shift she would work. You'd think they would learn because guess what happened? The night nurse quit because she was upset they hired a new nurse for the position she had been promised and then the new nurse they just hired for that spot quit within a month because she couldn't hack LTC. So instead of making a steady, reliable employee happy they ended up losing two nurses and we are still short staffed.

In your case I'd say it's pretty obvious that after passing you over not once but twice that they don't intend to ever give you the promised promotion. Unless you really don't want to leave for your own reasons I'd suggest looking elsewhere. If your area is anything like where I live all the SNF's are chronically short staffed and with your experience you could walk into pretty much other place and get hired, possibly as soon as you walk in the door and express interest in working there.

I never FELT valued in a nursing home job after 35 years.....and I am an RN....got smashed into the ground over and over again worked my tail off went over and beyond...forget about it.......time to move on.

+ Add a Comment