First time in my life that I feel like a failure

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I have been an LPN for 4 years and I couldn't wait to go back to school for my RN. Well what a big ******* mistake! I started a LPN to RN bridge program. I had to pass chemistry and the 2 bridge classes. I pass chem with a 94%, 1st bridge class with a B- and failed the last one by 1 damn point (74%). I am literally disgusted and feel like a complete failure. At this point I don't even want to go back and retake the class, but I have put so much money into this and don't want it to go to waste. Has anybody been successful the second time around? I'll literally sitting here laughing and crying because this is some ******** LOL omg I'm pissed

I have been an LPN for 4 years and I couldn't wait to go back to school for my RN. Well what a big ******* mistake! I started a LPN to RN bridge program. I had to pass chemistry and the 2 bridge classes. I pass chem with a 94%, 1st bridge class with a B- and failed the last one by 1 damn point (74%). I am literally disgusted and feel like a complete failure. At this point I don't even want to go back and retake the class, but I have put so much money into this and don't want it to go to waste. Has anybody been successful the second time around? I'll literally sitting here laughing and crying because this is some ******** LOL omg I'm pissed

Lots of people fail a class and come back from it. We just met, but I have a feeling you can do this. I think it's because you laugh and cry at the same time while using foul language.

Okay, that made me laugh lol

Specializes in Psych ICU, addictions.

Look at it this way: if being an RN is what you want to do and you need to retake this class to do it, then retake this class. At least you'll know what to expect from it this time around, and you should have an idea of where you were weak so you can address those areas.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.
Lots of people fail a class and come back from it. We just met, but I have a feeling you can do this. I think it's because you laugh and cry at the same time while using foul language.

Exactly. Sense of humor intact. This is not permanent. Surely you know what specifically you need to improve on, yes? Also - take heart: I did a BSN to RN conversion (different than yours but no so different). After pharmacology (first class) I decided that I didn't need to be a straight A student. By the end we were all hanging on like riders on a roller coaster that's jumped a track. But I made it and I am sure you will, too.

Specializes in Infusion Nursing, Home Health Infusion.

When is life ever always smooth sailing ahead....NEVER! Failing one class by one point does not make you a failure.What makes you a failure is giving up on something you want to do because it got a bit tough.So take some time to get it into perspective then get back up and go after what you want!

Specializes in Psychiatry, Community, Nurse Manager, hospice.

Take a moment to lick your wounds. Then get back in there and pass that class. Failing by one point means you got this the next time.

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
foul language.

Speaking of foul language, Belinda and I were shopping at Walgreen's yesterday when I passed some biker- looking dude on his cell when he loudly said "Mo Fo!"

Forgetting for the moment that I was not at work, I sternly demanded that he watch his language. "Freedom of speech, man!" came his reply. "You do not have the freedom to be rude!" I quickly retorted.

I was at the checkout and he was behind me and nothing more was said. The biker-looking dude continued to speak lowly to his cell, I paid for my purchase and left with Belinda.

I did a knee-jerk reaction upon hearing the profanity because, while working on the psych units, I maintain appropriate behavior as much as possible. The reaction I get from confronting inappropriate behavior gives me an indication of the offenders's ability to control their behavior.

Even though I did a knee-jerk reaction with the biker-looking dude, it came out okay. I had my say, he had his, and there was no more profanity. So all's well that ends well.

As far as your bump in the road, LPN2014, I can identify. I flunked an A&P practical right before Thanksgiving Break (1988) and was "beside myself with anger and grief", which is a much more appropriate way of expressing myself rather than using profanity. I made it through the LPN-RN program despite numerous bumps in the road.

Keep on keeping on, keep your sense of humor, but lose the profanity, LPN2014.

Profanity really doesn't look good on anyone. Not even the Walgreen's biker-looking dude.

Good luck to you!

Specializes in Dialysis.

I'm thinking we must be related ;) (laughing, crying, foul language)

Specializes in ER.

I wonder, if you met with the professor in person, if you could convince them to let you do an extra credit project, instead of retaking the whole class.

+ Add a Comment