Rising insurance premiums through work

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in ER.

My share of my health care premium through work is going up 50% next year. I think this is part of a nationwide trend.

Things have become essentially more financially unmanageable for the middle class in the past few years in the United States. I don't know how I'd manage if I were still raising kids. The policy I chose this open enrollment has a $4000 deductible and lots of copays. There's a $500 deductible on prescription coverage.

Activists talk about lack of access for the underclass, but I strongly disagree with that. In my area they freely use the ER as a clinic. The working and middle classes also sometimes need to resort to this because of lack of healthcare availability, although getting stuck with a big bill.

I see a lot of middle class young people choosing to not have children. It's irritating to see some our irresponsible segment of the population with lots of kids at a young age, subsidized partly or totally by the government, and hardworking people struggling to pay insurance premiums. My son and his wife just got stuck with a $4000 bill for the birth of their second child, way more than the first, my son told me.

Add to that the out of control housing costs, a lot of which is being fueled by the real estate speculation by the more well to do segment of the population, and I think we'll be seeing the middle class squeezed out of existence.

Specializes in Med-Surg, Geriatrics, Wound Care.

People use the ER because they can't afford a clinic or get a doctor's appointment. They go to the ER, get a quick fix or a 7 or 30 day prescription. Told to follow up. They would probably be better cared for if they went to a primary doctor, who could treat their medical problems. But, those cost money, and don't have to see people for free. There is also the time/availability factor for the working poor. Taking time off of work is not getting paid for that time, plus the transportation. It gets very expensive, then tack on a fee to see the doctor. These people may get bills. They could be drowning so far into debt that they cannot see a way out. There may not be a way out. Their credit is so bad, they'll get denied jobs. Medical bills are (the biggest?) reasons for bankruptcy. At my ER, the homeless come in - I'm sure if there was a safe shelter available, many would go there.

I still miss my first year at my first job with actual benefits - it was $5/pay period.. (and this was 2002!)

The US definitely has a lot of work to do to not lose the middle class. But, those that have the money pay people well enough so they keep and get more money. :(

Specializes in MDS/ UR.

Greedy profit is the cause.

Specializes in school nurse.
People use the ER because they can't afford a clinic or get a doctor's appointment. They go to the ER, get a quick fix or a 7 or 30 day prescription. Told to follow up. They would probably be better cared for if they went to a primary doctor, who could treat their medical problems. But, those cost money, and don't have to see people for free. There is also the time/availability factor for the working poor. Taking time off of work is not getting paid for that time, plus the transportation. It gets very expensive, then tack on a fee to see the doctor. These people may get bills. They could be drowning so far into debt that they cannot see a way out. There may not be a way out. Their credit is so bad, they'll get denied jobs. Medical bills are (the biggest?) reasons for bankruptcy. At my ER, the homeless come in - I'm sure if there was a safe shelter available, many would go there.

I still miss my first year at my first job with actual benefits - it was $5/pay period.. (and this was 2002!)

The US definitely has a lot of work to do to not lose the middle class. But, those that have the money pay people well enough so they keep and get more money. :(

I disagree, somewhat. There are low-income people who continue to use the ER as primary care in spite of having insurance.

And yes, the middle class is really getting screwed. Between higher co-pays, deductibles and how much of our paycheck goes out to paying for the insurance in the first place, we have it worse off than subsidized lower income people - in this regard.

Specializes in EMS, ED, Trauma, CEN, CPEN, TCRN.

At my first job with benefits in 1994, I paid 50 cents per pay period - $1 per month - for health insurance. Our company charged us that only because by law, they had to charge us something.

My healthcare plan costs actually decreased for 2019. Not sure why, but there it is! Though I change jobs after next week, so I will have to see what I end up paying at the new place.

Specializes in Public Health, TB.

Hmmm, could health care costs be going up because of new technologies? Prolonged, futile care, life saving pharmaceuticals that are 10x the price of what they were a short time ago(insulin, to name one)?

Oh no, it must be those people deemed "undeserving" who seek health care at the ED.

In my area, clients on Medicaid are limited to a number of ED visits per year that are covered, plus there is a fast track for non-critical visits. They are staffed with a social worker who sees folks to set them up with a PCP and help them understand that preventative and chronic health concerns are treated sub-optimally in EDs.

Specializes in school nurse.
Hmmm, could health care costs be going up because of new technologies? Prolonged, futile care, life saving pharmaceuticals that are 10x the price of what they were a short time ago(insulin, to name one)?

Oh no, it must be those people deemed "undeserving" who seek health care at the ED.

In my area, clients on Medicaid are limited to a number of ED visits per year that are covered, plus there is a fast track for non-critical visits. They are staffed with a social worker who sees folks to set them up with a PCP and help them understand that preventative and chronic health concerns are treated sub-optimally in EDs.

My point as it applies to your statement is that people with self-paid or employer subsidized health insurance pay through the nose for visiting the ED while people with medicaid do not. In my state, ED visits are not capped for medicaid. Yes, ED visits are only one factor of what is keeping health insurance rates going up, and it will take a head-to-toe shake up of our system to fix it...

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).

Emergent, you are consistently coming up with interesting subjects for threads. Most of us start threads because we hold some personal interest in a subject and your threads have that universal flavor that we all can taste.

I see a lot of middle class young people choosing to not have children.

Children are more of a financial liability than an asset.

I know. I'm cold. But factual.

I believe it was reading Pearl Buck's The Good Earth as an adolescent that started this whole belief process in motion.

On the subject of the flagrant use of the ER, people will use whatever is the easiest road to a goal.

"I hurt", they say, "And I don't want to hurt!" And many don't want to exercise, eat correctly, watch their weight, stop using quick fixes, or do anything which is prophylatically healthy. Generally speaking, we are the sum total of our actions or inactions.

And prolonging life is another thing! Give me quality over quanity!

I'm (nearly) 62 years old and ready to check out anytime!

Okay. I'm done (for now).

Thanks!

[in the spirit of restraint]: The OP neither stated nor implied any such thing.

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

In my area, clients on Medicaid are limited to a number of ED visits per year that are covered, plus there is a fast track for non-critical visits. They are staffed with a social worker who sees folks to set them up with a PCP...

Huh? You can't have medicaid with having a PCP.

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
Huh? You can't have medicaid with having a PCP.

No? I did not know that, OldDude!

Why can't one a PCP with medicaid?

+ Add a Comment