November 22, 1963

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I was 6 years old, in first grade, remember it was a cold rainy day, and we were doing math, learning our ones, tens, and hundreds using blue plastic boards when the announcement came over the loudspeaker.

I didn't know who the President was or where Dallas Texas was, but I knew that this was a very big deal. They let us out of school early.

My brother, who was only 2 years old at the time says he remembers Mom crying when the news came on the TV.

In the days after, I remember watching the funeral possession on the TV's big black and white screen.

We remember things by association and repetition. I am repeatedly reminded of this day at least once a year.

What do you remember of those days? Or what were you told by those who do remember?

Specializes in nurseline,med surg, PD.

I was in the 8th grade. The principal came in to my classroom to announce that the president had been assassinated. I had never heard that word and I had no idea what she was talking about. So I went home and asked my mom.

When the Challenger exploded I was standing in a patient's room, (Community North, anyone?) seeing it on TV.Yes, there are things that one never forgets.

Specializes in Psych, Addictions, SOL (Student of Life).

Well I was only 11 months old so I don't remember it. I can however tell you exactly what I was doing the day America was attacked and the Twin Towers fell.

Hppy

I remember watching the ash covered people running for their lives after the twin towers fell. The news was filled with posters on fences with the names of people that were still missing from 9/11. I remember thinking how sad it is that such evil exists and that human lives mean nothing to some.

I remember staying home from school when the challenger was taking off. The news stories about the crew filled the tv leading up to that day. I remember the excitement of the crowds watching and the news crews giving a moment by moment account of what was happening. The take off looked perfect, the crowds were cheering, and then it just exploded before our eyes. I remember the shock in the announcers voices , the disbelief, and then sadness.

I also remember when Princess Diana died. She was bigger than life it seemed and the news of her death did not seem real. The next several weeks were filled with pictures of the wrecked car, her funeral, and her children's faces.

Specializes in Pedi.

I also remember when Princess Diana died. She was bigger than life it seemed and the news of her death did not seem real. The next several weeks were filled with pictures of the wrecked car, her funeral, and her children's faces.

I was 13 years old. Sleeping over my friend's house because we had both gone to another friend's Bat Mizvah earlier in the day. We wanted to watch SNL and saw non-stop news coverage instead.

Specializes in Neuroscience.

I was in fourth grade when the challenger exploded. We were watching it live on TV. That was a bad day.

9/11: Mother-in-law called and woke us up, stating that a plane crashed into the world trade center. I remember telling my husband that it was probably a 2-seater Cessna, but my curiosity got me out of bed. I turned on the living room television and twenty minutes later the second plane hit. I remember yelling at my television, yelling at the plane to turn away (you could see it in the background flying past), and saying "Oh my God" over and over. For all you younger ones out there, when this happened, terrorism was the furthest thing from my mind. My first thought was an issue with the plane instruments or bad instructions from the control tower.

I can also remember Columbine and watching that unfold on television. Couldn't believe that anything like that could happen.

Specializes in Adult Primary Care.

I was in first grade reading circle when they announced we were going home early. I didn't understand at the time, but I do remember watching the funeral on the tiny black and white television and my parents crying.

Specializes in LTC.

I was in the 7th grade when Challenger exploded. We were actually watching it on live TV in science class. Once we realized what had happened, there were a few gasps but then silence. We were dumbfounded.

I was at home when Princess Diana died. I remember reports scrolling at the bottom of the TV that said she had been in an automobile accident and had suffered "a broken arm." I was floored when less than 30 minutes later they announced in breaking news that she had died. My heart broke for her children. I cried for them.

I was at a non-nursing job when the first tower was hit. All work stopped as we watched news reports, then the second tower got hit and I distinctly recall feeling a sense of panic. I REALLY wanted to leave to go gather my children. I felt slightly better when all flights were ordered down. I went outside and watched planes making abrupt turns in the sky.

About 2 hours after the announcement that all planes were down, I went back outside to survey the sky. No contrails. Just a beautiful, crystal clear blue sky. Save for the one, 4-engine aircraft flying at considerable altitude from east to west.

I still wonder who was in that aircraft.

Specializes in Med/Surge, Psych, LTC, Home Health.

Challenger explosion: I was in eighth grade English class. The math teacher poked her

head in the door and said "The challenger just exploded". We spent the rest of the day

watching the news coverage. I remember being incredibly sad. Which goes without

saying I suppose...

Princess Diana: I was also watching Saturday Night Live, when NBC broke in with

the news. I was at home by myself, just watching TV. I was 24 years old.

9/11: I was at home, after working all night. Husband walked into the bedroom

and woke me up to tell me what was going on. Spent the rest of the day mostly

awake, when I should have been sleeping. Watched a lot of news coverage.

I was incredibly scared that the whole country was about to undergo an attack/

invasion. Even my little corner of Kentucky.

I don't remember Reagan getting shot, or John Lennon... wasn't alive for JFK..

but I do remember hearing that Kurt Cobain had shot himself. I was in my

car, on my way to do an interview for a Graphic Design internship. I was so

upset I had to pull off the road. I was 21.

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
I remember it like it was yesterday.

Reading all of your memories of these tragedies caused me to recall a concept I learned from Diane Ackerman's Alchemy of Mind: We change our memories as additional information is gathered.

Take, for example, my illustration of the moment I heard of JFK's assassination. As I drew the image, I looked into my mind's eye and rendered a cartoon version of what I saw or remembered. I remember the dark rainy day outside of the classroom window, the old fashion wooden desk that still had a hole in the top for an inkwell, and the wooden loudspeaker on the wall.

But then I remember turning around to face the loudspeaker, probably because the principal alerted us by saying something like, "May I have your attention please?" In my memory I heard the principal say, "The president was shot in Dallas Texas". At the time, the situation probably transpired more like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27962[/ATTACH]

Had I not learned who the President or where Dallas Texas was, but had been reminded of the day, my memory would not have changed. My memory changed, as Diane Ackerman points out, as more information is gathered:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27963[/ATTACH]

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
I also remember when Princess Diana died.

Some people and events aren't all that major in my life, and Princess Diane is one of them. "Something (or someone) is important because we make it (or them) important", I again quote that which a wise man once told me.

I remember 1981 (I think) was the year she and Prince Charles were married. I only remember the year because it was the same year my younger brother was married and the priest made mention of the event. My brother was important to me, but Princess Diane was not.

I remember hearing the news of her death only because, on that morning in 1997, when I got up out of bed and went into the living room my Ex greeted me with a quote from the Beatles' "A Day in the Life":

"I read the news today oh boy".

Since Princess Diane was a very important person to the majority, I am repetitiously reminded of these event, thereby integrating it into my long term memory.

Specializes in Gerontology.

I remember Regan getting shot, the Challenger explosion, Princess Diana's death, 9/11.

9/11 I was watching a morning news show after working a night shift. I had the remote up and was just going to press off when the Toronto based show said a plane had hit one of the Twin Towers and they were going live to NY City. I thought, OK, I have to see what kind of idiot would hit something that big. I figured 5 mins and I would hit my bed. I sat there until after 10:30 when total exhaustion forced me to my bed.

I also remember watching the LA riots, and the Blue Jays winning two World Series!

+ Add a Comment