Little boy reading

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in ER.

The 7 year old son of a patient was so utterly adorable today. He sat, with legs dangling, reading a chapter book while Mom got worked up for her symptoms.

I loved seeing this youngster not on a tablet or phone. I enthusiastically complimented his wonderful mother. What a special son she has. She said she grew up in a family without a lot of money, and she and her siblings spent much time outdoors. She wants her children to have these old fashioned values.

The lad is beloved by his teachers and wants to be a scientist.

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.
Specializes in ICU, LTACH, Internal Medicine.

Oh, yeah.

When my then-7 y/o got her first book by Steven Hawking (he wrote several amazing books for kids about theory of time and the like subjects) she parked herself in a corner and read it through 2.5 hours line in that busy restaurant with not much as uttering a single word. People were carefully asking what did we do with her. Explanations that she lives with (and pretty much by) books, languages and math since she was born did not work, they definitely thoughg that the poor little thing was on some sort of drugs or something.

Specializes in OB.

Before I had a kid, my husband and I were at a restaurant next to the most beautiful family (literally, they were all physically gorgeous), with two school-aged boys. I was taken aback that they were just quietly chatting with each other about Harry Potter and school all through dinner. Not fighting, on phones or iPads, running around. It was refreshing and multiple people stopped by their table to tell them so. #parentinggoals!

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.
Before I had a kid, my husband and I were at a restaurant next to the most beautiful family (literally, they were all physically gorgeous), with two school-aged boys. I was taken aback that they were just quietly chatting with each other about Harry Potter and school all through dinner. Not fighting, on phones or iPads, running around. It was refreshing and multiple people stopped by their table to tell them so. #parentinggoals!

When our kids were little, I recall seeing people in restaurants "cringe" when we would be seated next to them, 4 boys, but were pleasantly surprised when our table made less noise as those around us. We too received many compliments...one time this guy came over and handed each of the boys a quarter as a "reward" for such good manners. It takes energy and continuity but those kidlets can be tamed!!

What a refreshing post Emergent. Thank you for sharing!

Specializes in Geriatrics, Home Health.

Is reading on an e-book somehow inferior? Novels were considered very corrupting once upon a time.

Specializes in corrections and LTC.

I don't believe that the author mentioned an e-book.

Specializes in ER.
I don't believe that the author mentioned an e-book.

Kids on tablets and phones are usually watching cartoons not reading books. My post had nothing to do with ebooks vs bound books.

Is reading on an e-book somehow inferior? Novels were considered very corrupting once upon a time.

Yeah, I got a very strong anti-technology vibe from the OP. Call me new-fashioned, but I think children can be raised to be well-mannered and know how to use a phone/pad/computer. Even though it probably makes no difference at the age of seven, the mother who is shielding her kids from technology is doing them no favors if they want to pursue STEM careers.

Specializes in Travel, Home Health, Med-Surg.

I think it is nice to see kids read books and play without tablets, phones etc. I think they do have a place in learning but need very good supervision. They have done studies that show that Facebook/social media etc is addicting and can cause psychological damage to children (and adults). In silicon valley, the kids are not allowed to have tablets, or phones, even in school. I guess those parents at Google, Facebook know something they are not advertising. Not all bad but kids do need strict guidelines and supervision with technology for their own good.

Specializes in ER.
Yeah, I got a very strong anti-technology vibe from the OP. Call me new-fashioned, but I think children can be raised to be well-mannered and know how to use a phone/pad/computer. Even though it probably makes no difference at the age of seven, the mother who is shielding her kids from technology is doing them no favors if they want to pursue STEM careers.

This mother and I actually had a discussion. Her kids have tablets, but they are not unrestricted.

No need to turn this post into a debate when it was merely the sharing of a heartwarming experience of seeing and meeting this delightful youngster. He was such a gem, and the sight of him fully entertained and engaged in his chapter book was a total delight.

Specializes in ER.
I think it is nice to see kids read books and play without tablets, phones etc. I think they do have a place in learning but need very good supervision. They have done studies that show that Facebook/social media etc is addicting and can cause psychological damage to children (and adults). In silicon valley, the kids are not allowed to have tablets, or phones, even in school. I guess those parents at Google, Facebook know something they are not advertising. Not all bad but kids do need strict guidelines and supervision with technology for their own good.

Many people today have an unhealthy relationship with the internet. Uncensored comments online add gasoline and sparks to social and ideological differences.

It's well known that the trend in mass shootings is often fueled by the internet. It is commercially advantageous for companies to control and influence the public.

+ Add a Comment