Alex Wubbels' Arresting Officer Jeff Payne Claims He Did Nothing Wrong - Plans to Sue

Former Detective Jeff Payne lost his job over his "confrontation" with Utah Nurse Alex Wubbels over a year ago as she was trying to protect the rights of her unconscious patient. Now he is saying he did nothing wrong and plans to sue the city that fired him. Nurses Announcements Archive

Published

Former Detective Jeff Payne lost his job over his "confrontation" with Nurse Alex Wubbels over a year ago. Now he is saying he did nothing wrong.

"She was doing her job," he said. "I was doing my job. And unfortunately, it conflicted. And I am the one who bears most of the burden for it."

Payne insisted he had implied consent to get the blood sample from a crash victim under Alex Wubbels' care. When she refused, Payne handcuffed her.

He insists he was only following orders that day - his boss, Lt. James Tracy, had ordered that he arrest Wubbels if she didn't let him draw the patient's blood.

When asked if he thought he used too much force, he said he was just following his training.

I couldn't believe this incident went worldwide

He plans to seek $1.5 million associated with lost wages and benefits, emotional distress and defamation of character.

What are your thoughts? Should he be awarded $1.5 million for simply "doing his job"?

For more on this story, go to Former Detective Jeff Payne isn't sorry for arresting Alex Wubbels and he plans to sue for $1.5 million - The Salt Lake Tribune

Specializes in Mental Health, Gerontology, Palliative.
I don't know a single person who hasn't spilled a drink on themselves. I also don't know a single person who has sustained third degree burns from spilling a drink on themselves. A lot of people don't know the truth behind that warning so I thought I'd share.

I have the fundamental belief that a restaurant meal should not be served in a way that puts the consumer at pointless risk for catastrophic injury. The court system shares that value, you do not, so I don't think anything I say could persuade you. I'll try not to derail the thread any further.

I appreciate the clarification, I didnt know the background behind it.

That said...........

If she lived in a country that treated access to healthcare as a basic human right, as opposed to a privlidge that can only be experienced by those who can afford it, she would have been taken care of in terms of medical bills, helped to rehab back to baseline or as close as possible and paid a pension if she was unable to support herself

Specializes in ER.

I love the way some people can steer any conversation toward their political agenda.

Hey, let's all talk about Trump now, I'm sure if he were out of office it would end all suffering, and Jupiter would align with Mars...

Specializes in Peds, Med-Surg, Disaster Nsg, Parish Nsg.
I love the way some people can steer any conversation toward their political agenda.

Hey, let's all talk about Trump now, I'm sure if he were out of office it would end all suffering, and Jupiter would align with Mars...

How about getting back on track and discuss the topic of this thread that has nothing to do with McDonalds or politics.

Specializes in OB.
He'll huff and puff about a lawsuit for awhile. Then he'll run (and lose) for some local public office. Then he'll get a job as mall security or drive truck. That's how these things usually pan out.

This made me literally LOL. Here's hoping you're correct, and it doesn't pan out into a mass shooting or something instead.

He'll huff and puff about a lawsuit for awhile. Then he'll run (and lose) for some local public office. Then he'll get a job as mall security or drive truck. That's how these things usually pan out.

If he drives a truck I hope he is open to random, warrantless blood draws on himself "just to make sure".:sneaky:

Just because you sue doesn't mean you'll win. When I wrote to HUD about requesting an income adjustment reporting exemption while working full time as a CNA, I did tell them in writing that if I were to work full-time and that if they were to sue me or bring me to court that I'm pretty sure the court would rule in my favor, not saying I would win, just saying that I maybe might. Maybe I shouldn't have put that in as that might have come off as hostile, but if I were to take HUD to court because of defamation of character in not approving my request or emotional distress, I'm pretty sure I'd lose the case. Today, I wrote to my state senator to see if there was something she could do. She might not be able to do anything, but it doesn't hurt to ask and meet with an interview.

I wish I were a fly on the wall at that facility between the nurse and the officer and see how he was reacting towards her demanding a blood sample. For you to put a lot of effort into someone like that guy the officer wanted a blood sample in, you might as well just let it go. To the officer, the guy he wanted a blood sample from must have been a pretty important suspect to go through all that trouble. I mean if he was a huge drug lord in Mexico, ok, understandable, but if he was some kid walking down the side-walk with his pants sagging, come on, just arrest the guy and put him in jail for a few nights and let him go.

Specializes in Trauma, Teaching.

I wish I were a fly on the wall at that facility between the nurse and the officer and see how he was reacting towards her demanding a blood sample.

He was in the ER harassing her; you can youtube the video and see the whole thing. "The guy" he wanted a sample from was the victim of an MVA, which was already known to the officer.

+ Add a Comment