taking a job but quitting in 4 months?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I graduated in May. I was offered an RN night position at a children's physical rehab hospital. Currently even though I'm a licensed RN I am still working as a PCA. I have another promised position as an RN to start in December with the same system I'm a PCA with.(in a hospital ICU)

I have also intended to move out of state, although I'm doing it more slowly than I thought.

I could start immediately at the rehab. I would be leaving that position either way...whether I moved or stayed long enough to accept the job in December. But if I knew for sure I'd be moving in January for example I'd just stay with the rehab until then.

My question is, does that look bad to leave a position that fast?

The job I want for when I do move out of state is a new grad position in the ICU or CCU and they allow you to work for 6 Mos or less to qualify.

I just want to do what's best for my shot at that job when I move. The reason I haven't moved yet is my mother. But I might have to just move ahead without her until she's ready.

Thank you!

Leaving two RN jobs in under 6 months will look very bad. Leaving one RN job in under 6 months looks bad, but more understandable if you are moving. Think of the interview question "why did you leave?" and how you will answer it for future positions.

Whether you do one or two RN jobs in your first six months, I highly recommend you stay at your next job for at least 2 years.

And, for reference, I left my first job after 6 months. I've interviewed some but have stayed at my second job. I've definitely gotten some side eye for the six month gig.

I must say that taking job, and possibly causing someone else to lose the opportunity, knowing that you are leaving in 4 months is just bad form. I'm not sure that it would effect the possibility of you gaining new employment in the future... but remember that that system that is hiring you is placing a huge financial investment in you (hiring process, drug testing, placing you with a preceptor, etc) plus you could be taking that job away from another RN that actually wants the position and plans to stay... I personally would not do it or would I take either local job until I absolutely knew where I would be living in the next 6 months.

I think that the responses that you are bound to get are going to be the same as when you asked a similar question at the beginning of August.

In a word, yes. That type of behavior can haunt you in the future.

I graduated in May. I was offered an RN night position at a children's physical rehab hospital. Currently even though I'm a licensed RN I am still working as a PCA. I have another promised position as an RN to start in December with the same system I'm a PCA with.(in a hospital ICU)

I have also intended to move out of state, although I'm doing it more slowly than I thought.

I could start immediately at the rehab. I would be leaving that position either way...whether I moved or stayed long enough to accept the job in December. But if I knew for sure I'd be moving in January for example I'd just stay with the rehab until then.

The job I want for when I do move out of state is a new grad position in the ICU or CCU and they allow you to work for 6 Mos or less to qualify.

I just want to do what's best for my shot at that job when I move. The reason I haven't moved yet is my mother. But I might have to just move ahead without her until she's ready.

Thank you!

Leaving a new job quickly due to an "unexpected" move is not the worst thing in the world. Leaving a job because you graduated from school and are moving into a new role is perfectly understandable, as well.

I would probably take the higher paying RN job over working for several more months as a PCA. For one thing, it sounds like you're not sure exactly when you're moving. For another, an employer would throw you out on your head in five minutes if you no longer suited their needs- don't ever doubt it.

How about you let the Pediatric Rehab facility know your plans to only stay 4 months?

There's your answer.

Specializes in school nurse.

I think that the fact that you're asking the question means you know the answer...

I agree with all the above answers. ...my fear about doing "good form" is what if I don't work as an RN for 6 Mos from now...then that's May since I graduated and July since I passed the nclex...will it look worse for me not to work as an RN that long?

I have a nutty dog. She's 12 years old rescued from being a bait dog. She has a lot of fear and I can't move without a solid plan for her. That's where my mom will help! But moving alone, I won't know anyone to help with her and it will take a couple weeks for her to adjust to a dog walker. That's why I haven't just moved yet. My mom needs more time. We talked about my staying in a hotel without my dog. We recently lost my other dog and I guess I worry if she will be too sad if I leave her for an extended time.

So that's all the hold up...I love my pup! And she will howl in a new place when left alone (I found out when we took her on road trips in dog friendly hotels)

I guess as long as this does not look bad in applying for a job I will hold off working as an RN. When I work OT and shift differential as a pca I can make over $30/hour. So it isn't awful, although I really want to start my nursing career not the money but you know to start learning more and working as a nurse.

I had all these plans when I was still in school. Start my dnp right away, work right away, knew where and what I wanted. Didn't happen..yet!

(Edit: my mom's getting radiation currently that's why she can't temporarily move with me then move back when ready yet)

Sometimes I really wonder. I know nursing is a female dominated profession, and in general females are paid less then men. Part of it is society and the glass ceiling but part of it is how we are conditioned to view work and our place within the work place. I can practically guarantee that if nursing was male dominated there would be a lot less discussion about what the job is paying to train you and other people losing out on a job if you took it.

For what it's worth I took a job as a new grad and lasted 10 months. I quit and have been with my current job for about 3 years. I was honest when I quit (and broke a contract--never had to pay, either) that I didn't feel safe working there because they wanted me and other new grad's to be charge after less then 1 year. It was an ER, it was dangerous.

I feel like as women we tend to undervalue our skill set and give too much thought to the workplace and their needs. I do think we've been conditioned to think of others as perhaps more important then ourselves and this is one way it is showing.

Take the job, quit when you move, and when people ask why you quit? You moved out of state for personal reasons. End of story. No one will give you a side eye.

Specializes in ED, Cardiac-step down, tele, med surg.

How much training are they giving you? I would feel wrong if they gave me a 4 week or greater orientation and I stayed for 4 months. I know people do it all the time, yeah it's business and all that but it's also true that people on your unit will form connections with you, see you as a team member. Feelings will be hurt when you leave. If I knew I was definitely leaving in 4 months, I'd probably find a per diem job or at least tell them if I could. If you depend on the paycheck though and don't have another souce of income that is another matter. Jobs that last less than 6 moths do tend to look bad on the resume, especially if you have a lot of them.

Specializes in hospice, LTC, public health, occupational health.

I'm the first to tell people that loyalty to an employer is usually a foolish business, because they don't reciprocate it. However, even to me the idea of taking a job knowing for certain you're going to bail after only four months feels wrong. If they give you valid reasons to quit at 4 months then by all means do so, but honestly, with most nursing jobs you've really only just gotten your feet under you by 4 months.

Specializes in Critical Care.

What's the rush in moving? You sound conflicted re your dog and your mom so why not take the job and stay for a year or two and then move rather than move in a hurry. Just because you're not a new grad doesn't mean you can't apply for an ICU job. Truthfully I think experienced nurses are a better choice for ICU than new grads, but due to a shortage of nurses new grads are being used. I don't think your experience would hurt you when applying for an ICU job with a proper cover letter expressing your interest in ICU.

+ Add a Comment