Student Body Odor

Specialties School

Published

Any thoughts or suggestions about how to sensitively address body odor with a 5th grade student (in this case a girl)?

Honestly I just tell them that they are the age now where their sweat stinks, and unless they want to be "the stinky kid in the class" they need to star using deodorant every day.

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

I let the counselor address it as a social issue. There isn't anything in school policy prohibiting body odor.

If I noticed it, and the girl seemed like she'd be receptive to feedback, or if I had a good relationship with her, I'd be direct. I'd say that once people reach a certain age, they need to shower more often and wear deodorant.

If some other staff at the school was bothered by it and wanted me to randomly call on the girl to start wearing deodorant, then I'd let it go, especially if the child doesn't seem bothered by it. It's way weirder for the kid to learn that staff has discussed them behind their backs.

To clarify- if other staff are bothered by it, and I don't know the girl, then I find it inappropriate to seek her out.

Specializes in Med-surg, school nursing..

I have this issue with a student, everything smells because they have so many animals at home. He will come in my bathroom in the mornings and wash off, brush teeth, and put on deodorant.

If you have a spare stick, maybe call her up privately and tell her you have an extra that she can have, or if she's embarrassed you can keep it in your office for her to come up and use.

Sometimes they are just oblivious (how in the world!?) and once you gently bring attention to it they shape up.

It was her teachers who brought it up to me and asked me to speak to her. I don't know her at all and feeling a bit awkward about it.

It was her teachers who brought it up to me and asked me to speak to her. I don't know her at all and feeling a bit awkward about it.

I would bring it up to guidance or explain to the teacher that you have no relationship with the student and that if the teacher feels comfortable enough that they can have that discussion with her.

I would let her know that others can smell her and it is sometimes unpleasant - most kids know what you're going to say when they get dragged in for the hygiene talk. I'd also ask a few questions regarding home life: Do you have water at home? Washer? Soap for the machine? Do you know how to use it? Do you have pets at home? How many?

That sort of thing. I've had several students with no power or water and that's why they were always dirty.

This is unlikely to be a comfortable conversation for anyone but I think the girl will be MORE embarrassed to have an unfamiliar adult (you) seek her out to say (of course with tact) that she smells so badly that her teacher recruited someone else to intervene. I think it should be the teacher to say something.

I only agreed once to talk to a student about a terrible odor and it was because he came to see me everyday for medication at lunch. I saw him everyday, he was familiar with me, I could discreetly let him know and then have him use my private restroom to freshen up (BTW- it never worked. The smell was awful. Administration got involved to talk to the parents to see if they needed assistance with laundry in case their water had been turned off, mom was offended and complained to me about anyone bringing it up. Our best guess was that one of their cats was using his clean laundry as a litterbox)

I let the counselor address it as a social issue. There isn't anything in school policy prohibiting body odor.

Smart move!

In the past, I have addressed the issue myself. Assessed student to determine factors r/t to foul odor (ie. refuse to shower, not wearing deodorant, parent refusing to wash clothes, etc.). Then, I notified the parent. It ends up with either, the parent is not sufficiently taking care of the child, or providing education re: healthy hygiene habits.

Specializes in NICU.

Tough issue,if you find someone who will address this with her,how about a little gift of products,little samples,to reinforce the conversation.Good luck.

Back when I was in 5th grade (I was in a combination 5th/6th class) they put the girls and boys in separate groups and for us girls, the teacher addressed menstruation and body odor - we did not get into anything direct about sexual activity. Do they not do that any more?

+ Add a Comment