First day of school updates

Specialties School

Published

Specializes in Cardiology, School Nursing, General.

Just posting about the first day for me. Third year here and going strong. This year seems to be a good one, hopefully. I had only 15 students today! This is something great! My first year I had 56 kids on the first day, with one having to be taken to the hospital for a broken ankle (Slipped on stairs going down.) Second year was 32 and this year only 15. Kids were good, no issues all day, just typical medications and small stuff.

How was your first days?

Yesterday was our first day and it went off without too much drama! Of my 30+ that should have emergency medication, only 3 brought them. 1 trip and fall that resulted in a bloody nose and swollen lip, the other 24 visits were nonsense, but I totally expect that on the 1st day!

Specializes in School health, pediatrics.

My first day was also relatively uneventful. I had three visits outside of meds and diabetic care. I do have 3 6th graders who are diabetic, which makes 5th period kind of hectic, but overall I have been able to keep up with administrative and clerical tasks because my acute clinical demands are manageable.

Specializes in NCSN.

Welcome back A! I'm glad your first day went so well! Maybe it's a sign of a better year to come :)

Welcome back A! I'm glad your first day went so well! Maybe it's a sign of a better year to come :)

I really hope so! New APs, so maybe!

My first week of school I had one student faked passing out twice. Over the summer she "passed out" several times, doctors ran several test to only find out she is pretending to pass out for attention. :sarcastic:

I had another student that had purple itchy spots near her armpit. I am beyond happy that mom took me serious when I told her she needs to have these spots checked by a doctor, LD was having a dangerous reaction to her medication. Thankfully LD is doing well!

My first week of school I had one student faked passing out twice. Over the summer she "passed out" several times, doctors ran several test to only find out she is pretending to pass out for attention. :sarcastic:

Best trick I learned for this was from this board! If a student is passed out, they will not flinch if water is sprayed on their face (like you flick water from their fingers at their face, not a fire hose). A pretender will flinch :)

Finishing our 2nd week back here and its been going smoothly I think. I switched schools this year from 6-8 to a K-8 school. I'm enjoying the little ones and the hugs for no reason from them.... If I could just get through all the paperwork now!

Finishing our 2nd week back here and its been going smoothly I think. I switched schools this year from 6-8 to a K-8 school. I'm enjoying the little ones and the hugs for no reason from them.... If I could just get through all the paperwork now!

That's best. The little ones treat you like a rock star, for no reason. Makes me feel special.

Best trick I learned for this was from this board! If a student is passed out, they will not flinch if water is sprayed on their face (like you flick water from their fingers at their face, not a fire hose). A pretender will flinch :)

Thank you for the tip!

Specializes in Med-surg, school nursing..
Thank you for the tip!

She's nicer than I am. I pick their hand up over their face and drop it, if they don't smack themselves, they are faking.

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.
She's nicer than I am. I pick their hand up over their face and drop it, if they don't smack themselves, they are faking.

I still have a stash of ammonia inhalants...

+ Add a Comment