Started in Med/Surg but went to another specialty?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in Med-Surg, Tele, Outpatient Procedures, ER.

Hello everyone,

Has as anyone started in med/surg and decided they didn't like it so they went to another specialty? If so, what speciality did you go to and how do you like it ?

ive been a nurse for 8 months on med/surg and I really don't think it's for me. I love that I'm getting experience here that I can take with me in my nursing career but I don't think I can stay on this type of unit long term.

Specializes in ED.

I've never worked med/surg, but I have a few coworkers that started out there then moved to the ED. They all seem to like it. I've never worked anywhere else and love it, the ED is my home.

Hello everyone,

Has as anyone started in med/surg and decided they didn't like it so they went to another specialty? If so, what speciality did you go to and how do you like it ?

ive been a nurse for 8 months on med/surg and I really don't think it's for me. I love that I'm getting experience here that I can take with me in my nursing career but I don't think I can stay on this type of unit long term.

I moved to psych, but they keep floating me back to med/surg ...and sometimes to ER, but only as a 1:1.

I started out in psych, moved to M/S, then ED. Hated psych, didn't mind M/S but I knew it wasn't where my heart is at, and love the ED with its craziness.

I always thought I could see myself in the ED or ICU. But I'm not sure which of these would be a better fit.

I am doing my time in med/ surg, getting some experience under my belt and then I have the goal in mind to switch to a speciality (labor and delivery).

I started out med/surg, floated to low level NICU, rehab, peds, ICU, L & D (just as an aide/gofer), skilled nursing (it was part of our acute care hospital), ER, psych.......um what was the question?

Anyway, I LOVE THE FLOAT POOL :yes:

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVSICU, Precepting & Teaching.
Hello everyone,

Med/Surg isn't for everyone, but at eight months, it's too soon to know if it's for you or not. The first year of nursing is very, very stressful and most new grads don't like their jobs - even their dream jobs - until after 12 months of nursing. Or more. I hated my first five years of nursing. I even went and got a graduate degree in another field, but once I had that degree, I realized that I really didn't want to leave nursing. I liked it - I even liked being at the bedside! I liked oncology, hematology and bone marrow transplant, but I LOVE ICU.

Give it a few more months, and if you still don't like it figure out what would interest you more. YOU have to figure it out for yourself, though. Strangers on the internet cannot know what you would like best.

Med/Surg isn't for everyone, but at eight months, it's too soon to know if it's for you or not. The first year of nursing is very, very stressful and most new grads don't like their jobs - even their dream jobs - until after 12 months of nursing. Or more. I hated my first five years of nursing. I even went and got a graduate degree in another field, but once I had that degree, I realized that I really didn't want to leave nursing. I liked it - I even liked being at the bedside! I liked oncology, hematology and bone marrow transplant, but I LOVE ICU.

Give it a few more months, and if you still don't like it figure out what would interest you more. YOU have to figure it out for yourself, though. Strangers on the internet cannot know what you would like best.

Hi Ruby Vee,

You are absolutely correct. I was more just asking to see where everyone ended up after med/surg and if they decided what was best for them. Thanks for the input.

Specializes in Med-Surg, NICU.

Started in med-surg and now I have been in NICU for 2.5 years.

Getting a little stir crazy and looking to another specialty.

Specializes in Medical-Surgical/Float Pool/Stepdown.

Anyway, I LOVE THE FLOAT POOL :yes:

Float is where my heart is too!

+ Add a Comment