Dark Scrubs

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).

"Dark Scrubs" could be a thread inspired by the TV shows "Dark Shadows" and "Scrubs". Or, dark humor and Scrubs...

Dark humor is defined as "a humorous way of looking at something which is serious or sad".

I have dark humor for sure.

Good, Orion.

Because a post you submitted in the thread "Sharing Humor" is what really inspired this thread.

I have dark humor for sure. I could have a non-compliant diabetic come into rehab s/p BKA, and at discharge smile, wave and say, "See you at your next amputation, Betty!" Of course I don't want that to happen, and if I allowed myself to think about it, especially hitting close to home, I'd be in tears. Often times, so would the patient.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27121[/ATTACH]

Theses posts are from the "Patients Say the Darndest Things" Contest thread:

I could go on for a long time with the things patients say. I work in LTC and the things that dementia residents randomly say can be extremely entertaining. The only one that in all my years of working LTC still makes me feel guilty is the adorable, tiny little lady that adopted a quite heavy CPR practice baby. She insisted her baby was sick and needed a shot to get better. I came up with reason after reason to not give that darn baby it's shot and soon enough that old gal is stalking me up and down the hall and into rooms holding that heavy CPR baby by one foot, shaking it and yelling at me "see! He's dead! You KILLED HIM!! I told you you should've given him his shot!" By the time that shift was over I was feeling like a no good baby killer. To this day I wish I would have just given that darn baby a shot and saved that poor lady and me from her distress.

That story, kbrn is so sad, yet so hilariously funny!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27122[/ATTACH]

Does any body have any stories they'd like to share?

I'd enjoy the heck out of illustrating them!

Specializes in Trauma, Teaching.

"rotten brain boy" for misdiagnosed brain tumor

My son's radiation oncologist was shocked when I called him that......

When we had a patient die at the prison we'd say "he bagged and tagged!"

"rotten brain boy" for misdiagnosed brain tumor

My son's radiation oncologist was shocked when I called him that......

I remember reading one of your heart-rendering posts, JBudd.

You've been through so very much. I admire your courage and ability to keep your sense of humor.

Humorously submitted with all due respect:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27125[/ATTACH]

Specializes in ER.

I thought this was to be a discussion about what lint magnets dark colored scrubs are. But, they hide blood...

There's always the suffering ICU pts who have already died at least once being kept full code by family. So another nurse and myself thought "Consult to Jesus" should be added to nurse driven orders in Epic.

I once had a resident who was just my favorite - confused, funny, generally happy (I'll call her Ms. Doe)....until one night. I suppose me and my fellow CNA lost control of our volume as we kept each other up during charting time. I guess we were laughing too loud and carrying on. We woke up Ms. Doe, and I must have spent 30 minutes trying to calm her and figure out what was going on in her mind. In Ms. Doe's mind, we were some rowdy teenage friends of her son who had overstayed our welcome, were drinking "booze" and we had stolen her oven. She kept pointing to her window as the hole where the oven had been.

Eventually, I was able to get her up (there was no way she was staying in bed and going back to sleep while we stole her appliances), and show her the "kitchen" (the nutrition room), and convince her we were all there so late to help her son remodel her house (to explain the oven's sudden relocation). She insisted on monitoring us.....and boy did she.

We sat there very soberly while she watched us chart, not daring to drink a drop of any liquid lest we be accused of drinking the booze. We wheeled her around and parked her outside of rooms while we (silently, somberly) assisted patients, telling her she couldn't come in because of "all the plaster dust". Honestly, I did not expect her to hold on to the story as long as she did - I was sure she'd be back in bed asleep within 20 minutes! Nope. She stayed up with us from 11p - 7a, watching us with laser-precision. I swept floors at her direction, cleaned off tables, organized the desks....

It was a very productive night. Ms. Doe should have been paid for her work as our supervisor! :grumpy:

Specializes in critical care, ER,ICU, CVSURG, CCU.

Oh right down your psyc. Experience....

As I may be bipolar or schizophrenic...

As I love both dark scrubs, but prefer traditional white...

Sorry best I could come up with as I just awaken....

Sally

I'm just here for the comments. :whistling:

Specializes in Psych, Addictions, SOL (Student of Life).
Theses posts are from the "Patients Say the Darndest Things" Contest thread:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27122[/ATTACH]

I once had a lovely LOL in LTC whose dementia was advanced to the point where she didn't really know where she was but thought she was on a cruise ship. Every morning and evening she would "Go out on the Lido Deck to take the air. When she would get ready to go for her evening stroll she would always stop by the nurses station and ask if the "Cabin Steward" could do turn-down service before she returned.

I really liked her.

Hppy

+ Add a Comment