Should I ask for a raise?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hello all!

I have been a BSN RN now for 2 years. 1.5 years in adult ICU, now 6 months in the NICU. I switched over to NICU and accepted what they offered to me because it was the same I was making at my previous job. Looking back now, I should've asked for more but I figured I was being greedy since I was going to be going through training.

well now that I'm discussing with other new grads hired in the residency, two of them are getting paid THE EXACT SAME as me. And their experience is just tech experience!

So now that I'm nearing the end of my training and at my 2 year as a Nurse mark, I was wondering if I should ask for a raise. I guess the worst thing they could do is say no?

what do you guys think? Advice?

thanks in advance.

As a manager- never discuss salary with your peers. The fact they are making the same as you is unfortunate for you but, using this as an example for a raise will not get you far. Each position has a minimum and maximum sliding scale for compensation. Tell us, why do you think you deserve a raise? This should be based off of objective performance criteria. It is best to save this discussion for your next performance review.

Yep, you missed your initial chance. You will be on better ground (you better be) when you have your first performance review, or if you work for employers that don't bother with performance reviews, like I have in the past, after a set period of time, such as six months or a year. Good luck.

Hello all!

I have been a BSN RN now for 2 years. 1.5 years in adult ICU, now 6 months in the NICU. I switched over to NICU and accepted what they offered to me because it was the same I was making at my previous job. Looking back now, I should've asked for more but I figured I was being greedy since I was going to be going through training.

well now that I'm discussing with other new grads hired in the residency, two of them are getting paid THE EXACT SAME as me. And their experience is just tech experience!

So now that I'm nearing the end of my training and at my 2 year as a Nurse mark, I was wondering if I should ask for a raise. I guess the worst thing they could do is say no?

what do you guys think? Advice?

thanks in advance.

That's a tough one ...because you're very new to your specialty. I'm assuming even part of the six months was some sort of orientation?

I automatically got a raise at the two year mark and promoted to "Nurse II" without asking. It came with a $5-$6 raise and no one even bothered to tell me about it. I just noticed that my checks got a lot bigger. Maybe you'll get lucky?

As a manager- never discuss salary with your peers. The fact they are making the same as you is unfortunate for you but, using this as an example for a raise will not get you far.

I've always been curious who is served by your first-sentence advice. Staff nurses? If so, how? It protects us from living in a helpless state of jealousy, or what? This whole thing is shrouded in such secrecy. I would really like to know how an individual nurse and nurses as a whole is/are served by not having a clue how our respective salaries compare to others in the same role.

Agree that using such information as a stated reason for requesting a raise would not be successful or wise. But it certainly could/should be used to evaluate one's position in the company and make career decisions accordingly, if desired.

1 Votes
Specializes in Medical-Surgical/Float Pool/Stepdown.
I've always been curious who is served by your first-sentence advice. Staff nurses? If so, how? It protects us from living in a helpless state of jealousy, or what? This whole thing is shrouded in such secrecy. I would really like to know how an individual nurse and nurses as a whole is/are served by not having a clue how our respective salaries compare to others in the same role.

Agree that using such information as a stated reason for requesting a raise would not be successful or wise. But it certainly could/should be used to evaluate one's position in the company and make career decisions accordingly, if desired.

Yep, it's actually illegal for an employer to tell employees they can't discuss their wages amongst each other...

Here's just a few google searches on the subject:

Access Denied

'Pay Secrecy' Policies At Work: Often Illegal, And Misunderstood : NPR

You would think managers would know better.

1 Votes

Great advice by everyone. Thank you for your wise words. I will make a good case at my performance review at the beginning of the year. I will not bring up my coworkers pay! Thanks

And my ultimate goal is to work in the suburbs not inner city so maybe I'll just leave in a year or so anyways!

Specializes in Critical Care.
And my ultimate goal is to work in the suburbs not inner city so maybe I'll just leave in a year or so anyways!

Truth be told your greatest chance for a raise is by jumping ship to a competitor, but you have to be willing to be assertive and negotiate. You weren't in a strong position with the NICU job because it was a new specialty for you at the time, but now you are on better footing for the next job that comes around.

Specializes in ED, Cardiac-step down, tele, med surg.

If you have another job in hand your current company may make you a counter offer including a raise. I was presented with that opportunity, they would give me a new title with more money attached. It was a union facility so they had to change the title in order to do it. I declined due to wanting to change specialties and work in the ER. I was very honored that they valued me that much as to try to get me to stay on. You can certainly ask, nothing wrong with that at all, but be prepared for a no.

Specializes in OB.

Thank you, this statement always makes me want to beat my head against a wall. How can nurses fall for this???

Specializes in NICU.

Oh no you didnt.First of all what others make unless you have a union is none of your business.Discussing salaries is unprofessional and how do you know they are telling the truth?You are a new nurse with barely any real NICU experience[which is usually 2 years],no certifications in any specific area.If it is a merit based system [which sucks] you need a solid performance review, [no excessive absences,no suspensions,no major med errors and a A+ in butt kissing]journal club presentations.Focus on your position,plan for certification at 2 year mark[hope they pay for exam] and then you will see,there is much to learn in NICU oh..Jedi.

+ Add a Comment