Did anyone ever refuse a trip w/patient?

Specialties Private Duty

Published

Just need some advice. A coworker nurse of mine continually shows up on my day of work to help take the patient out on outings. She doesn't get paid, so family and patient are thrilled. For reference this patient cannot be taken out by one person any longer, needs at least two people. I did do a vacation with them eight years ago and things went ok but I don't want to go away again. Now she wants to do a loooong day trip, 3hr drive each way, to a Nascar race. I do not think this is appropriate for him nor do I want to be working 24 hrs straight. They say since I am scheduled I have to go where he (really her) wants. Anybody have any experience dealing with a bossy, overstepping nurse? I hate to leave this case.

I am surprised you are still with this case.

Specializes in Home Health, PDN, LTC, subacute.

Eleven years now!

You're getting up there. I've worked with nurses who have been with cases more than 20 years. Frankly, I don't know how they do it.

Specializes in Complex pedi to LTC/SA & now a manager.
Eleven years now!

Don't think I would last that long with such shenanigans and a bored coworker trying to be parent favorite on my shift.

Somewhat amusing how parents make it obvious how they favor one nurse over another and they actually imply that the second class nurse must take everything dished out because they need a job. The phrase "I was looking for a job when I found this one" fits here.

I never travel with the family. I have a family as well. I also can't afford to work for free and working 24 hours, that's not safe for my patient. When the family has a vacation or travel plans, I don't schedule to work. If my agency put me on the schedule knowing I don't travel that's a risk that they took considering I don't travel. In nearly 20 years of nursing, I've never had to travel with a family. I've done travel nursing but that was something I wanted to do and not something I was forced to do for free over a 24 hour period against my will.

I wouldn't go on any trips with the family I work for. Nothing against the family, I adore them - its the legal stuff, the expectations of when you work, etc etc.

Specializes in Private Duty Pediatrics.
You're getting up there. I've worked with nurses who have been with cases more than 20 years. Frankly, I don't know how they do it.

Some families are just that good! :yes:

I've had some families for more than 20 years. And I've had others where the scheduler had to keep rotating the nurses - like 6 months on, 6 months off - because that was about how long anyone was willing to work at a time.

Some families! :no:

Absolutely, my patients mom wanted me to go to dr appointments with her yet as the nurse didn't want me to tell the doctor how her daughter chokes and vomits on her food.Also, how her daughter needs a gtube.So I refused to go to the appointments and later dropped the case

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:40 AM, LPNTORN704 said:

Absolutely, my patients mom wanted me to go to dr appointments with her yet as the nurse didn't want me to tell the doctor how her daughter chokes and vomits on her food.Also, how her daughter needs a gtube.So I refused to go to the appointments and later dropped the case

I've had this situation on several cases. I was to accompany the patient and family on medical appointments in order to push the wheelchair and act as a pack mule for all the bags and equipment, but was not to say one word to the doctor about anything pertinent to the patient's condition and care.

4 hours ago, caliotter3 said:

I've had this situation on several cases. I was to accompany the patient and family on medical appointments in order to push the wheelchair and act as a pack mule for all the bags and equipment, but was not to say one word to the doctor about anything pertinent to the patient's condition and care.

I forgot to say in this post that if the diaper needed changing during this appointment I was to hop to it.

Specializes in LTC.
On 1/19/2019 at 8:57 AM, caliotter3 said:

I'm going through that right now on my current case. I'm not even allowed in the exam room. Parents always claim "there isn't enough room".

+ Add a Comment