Spider bites

Specialties School

Published

Do ya'll send children home for spider bites?

I had one student that said he was bitten Monday, and his hand all the way up to his elbow was swollen.

It was warm to touch. no pitting edema, c/o some mild pain, no itching and I was unable to see where the bite was.

I sent him home.

He was here today and his arm is still swollen.

He said he went to ER and and they gave him ABT and pain medication.

I did have another one today, and the bite could be seen along with redness and localized swelling. He also c/o pain and some itchiness.

Mom did come get him though.

Specializes in School Nursing.

I would probably send home any child that presented with those symptoms! Glad the parents took him in and got him some meds!:eek:

I would send them home for sure as I would be worried about cellulitis.

Specializes in School Nursing.

I'd call home on the first one... "LD said they went to ER and got abx and pain meds. I'd appreciate it if you could send me the discharge info so I can be aware of what to look for here at school in case symptoms worsen or change."

I don't know what age range you are, but my little ones often times are referring to things visits that happened a year ago for a different problem. I like to get a parent confirmation.

Specializes in Peds, School Nurse, clinical instructor.

Yes, I absolutely do send them home and highly suggest further medical evaluation and treatment.

Specializes in School health, pediatrics.

I have 6-8 gr. The first kid I would send home, second kid I might call home to notify the parent but I would leave it up to them if they would go home. Also, where I live spiders do not often bite, so unless there is considerable swelling or some sign of infection they do not get much attention.

Specializes in School Nurse.

Good grief, how about a steroid or antihistamine?

I would call parents and ask if he has been seen by MD without obviously diagnosing him ourselves LOL with cellulitis...and if he hasnt been seen, I would insist that he be picked up and get checked immediately.

I would call parents and ask if he has been seen by MD without obviously diagnosing him ourselves LOL with cellulitis...and if he hasnt been seen, I would insist that he be picked up and get checked immediately.

Yea, I pretty much called mom and just recommended her to take him to be seen.

Thanks so much for the advice everyone.

I don't have much experience with spider bites.

Specializes in Cardiology, School Nursing, General.

I always do, just in case of infection or getting worse. I try to make the child feel more comfortable with an ice pack and some distraction. I tend to tell them "you'll be spiderman/spidergirl now." they giggle with me a bit but obviously it hurts.

+ Add a Comment