Nursing Interventions

Specialties School

Published

This has probably been asked a million times before but do you have standard nursing interventions you do for students with say a headache (not a migraine), stomachache, ect. I check temp, ask when and how long its been hurting, pain scale, where the pain is, access for appendicitis signs if stomach ache, offer rest, or head down on desk, water, snack, soft peppermint. I cant give OTC meds but of course the teachers think I can cure things. But then they say I give peppermints and ice packs for everything and I do for a lot but just wondering if yall do other things I might could try. I dont have to notify parents and most of the time I dont unless they come back again. Just looking for more ideas. The help is greatly appreciated!

I don't give a peppermint or an ice pack for headache. It's usually food, drink or stress related. I give 15 minutes rest, assess temp.

If it persists and I suspect migraines, I call home to consider a tylenol/advil order.

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

You do more than I do!! Great job!

You do more than I do!! Great job!

Thanks that makes me feel better. I am getting tired of the "keeper of the ice packs" and "all she does is give a peppermint" jokes around the school.

Thanks that makes me feel better. I am getting tired of the "keeper of the ice packs" and "all she does is give a peppermint" jokes around the school.

Wait until there is an emergency. That's when you get respect.

Wait until there is an emergency. That's when you get respect.

Or, if you call in sick.

For a headache I take a temp, ask if they have recently hit their head, ask where it hurts (unilateral is associated with migraine), ask if they are drinking enough water (they always say yes and they are always wrong). I ask the older girls if they have their period. Barring anything that is not WNL, cup or 2 of water and 10 minutes rest before heading back to class.

If the headache is unilateral, then I ask them if the light bothers them and if it gets worse or better when they lean forward quickly. If it does but they are still not in an unbearable amount of pain, I let them rest and call home AFTER they leave the office to tell parents that they had a headache that was consistent with migraine so they can look into it if it happens often and consider keeping meds at school.

Or, if you call in sick.

#truth

Specializes in School nursing.

10-15 rest for every headache? I wish I had the space to let that many kids stay that long in my office :).

Water, sometimes cold pack for head. I can give out basic OTC meds, but for most headaches that I suspect are related to other factors, I try some other things. Then I use similar assessments to the above (temp, location of headache, duration, etc...)

To be honest, my biggest trick is to be look at some of my FF headache students and ask them point blank: "medicine headache or I-need-a-short-break headache?" Many are #2. We have a quick check, 5 minute breather, and back to class they go.

Specializes in School Nursing.

I have magic water that comes out of my faucet that must be different than the hallway water, because 3 oz of that seems to cure everything.

I commend all school nurses, sounds like such a stressful job!

I also have magic water and a magic toilet (cures most belly aches).

And warm salt water gargle cures most sore throats.

+ Add a Comment