CNA and community college at the same time?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hello, I may very well apply to become a CNA in just one semester for Fall 2018. But, I want to keep pursuing my education. Will it be possible to be a CNA and go to school at the same time? I need a career as soon as possible so that I may be able to provide support for myself and grandparents, so I'm wanting to become a CNA prior to earning an ADN in the year 2022 (Yes, it'll take me that long because of prerequisites).

I found CNA to be the perfect student job. My manager was wonderful in letting me work my schedule around my classes. Since I mostly worked weekends (pays more), this wasn't a problem. As a CNA, you might also make useful contacts who can help you in finding a job.

A lot of my classmates in community college worked.

I found CNA to be the perfect student job. My manager was wonderful in letting me work my schedule around my classes. Since I mostly worked weekends (pays more), this wasn't a problem. As a CNA, you might also make useful contacts who can help you in finding a job.

A lot of my classmates in community college worked.

This, with the exception of extra pay for weekends. I worked as a CNA full time on night shift while I attended nursing school in the day. I would not recommend this for most people unless one is in excellent health and has other aspects of their personal life under control. All it takes is one major glitch to bring the entire scheme tumbling down in a disaster that can affect your future career.

Specializes in IMC, school nursing.

I worked FT all during school. It was a means to an end. It was also 1990 and dual income economy hadn't kicked in yet. The other perk is your employer may pay for your schooling.

Specializes in Hospice.

I worked 36 hours a week Night shift, was raising 3 kids, had a husband and went to school full time. It can be done, it just depends on how bad you want it.

Specializes in LTC, assisted living, med-surg, psych.

I worked as a CNA in a hospital while I was going to nursing school. One of the best decisions I ever made. The nurses really took me under their wings and taught me so much that I was pretty well prepared to be a nurse by the time I graduated. I worked 12-hour weekend nights. I was also raising a family, so I didn't have much time to myself in those years, but we all got through it. Go for it!

Specializes in Geriatrics.

You can learn so much as a CNA. I think my first year of nursing school we learned more from the CNAs than we did the nurses. Not only will it get you comfortable working with patients, but you will pick up some stuff from the nurses as well.

I actually wrote an article and did a video on this same topic.https://allnurses.com/general-nursing-student/thoughts-on-being-1148626.html

Specializes in Psychiatry.

That's a great idea. Good patient care skills come in handy during clinical in the nursing program.

Being a CNA will mean that you're making some money too.

I suggest you don't use up one semester just to take the CNA class. Find a weekend CNA school. It may take two months and take prereqs during the weekdays. If you lose a semester, that's just more time you'll spend in school taking prereqs.

Don't forget to check out the point system of your prospective school to better your chances of getting in.

+ Add a Comment