When you have a rule that you don't 'friend' coworkers on FB

Nurses General Nursing

Published

And you get a FB request from a coworker, do you just ignore it, or do you tell them why you're not accepting their request?

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
Did I strike a chord with you when I said that, Davey? That's the second time you've commented on it in (what I perceived to be) a snarky manner.

No, everything is fine.

I still love you.

Ignore them. It's nothing personal, I'm just selective who I let into my personal life

Specializes in Community, OB, Nursery.

I don't think there's anything wrong with keeping your social media life and your work life separate, and I wouldn't be offended if a coworker told me they do this. I do think it's probably better for workplace relationships if you tell why, though.

I'm starting a new job tomorrow and this will definitely be my plan.

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.
No, everything is fine.

I still love you.

You've never said that to me...does that mean you're not accepting my facebook friend request?:angrybird3:

Specializes in Med Surg, PCU, Travel.

Pretty much everyone I work with know better than to friend me on facebook. Ignore it!

Get a linkedin account and keep it professional, that's called "networking"...unless you like people gossiping about your facebook page at work.

I concur!!! Shut it down over a year ago. Best decision I ever made. Sometimes I do miss the networking with my travel nursing and those whom I've worked with in the past but overall worth it. My whole family retired their accounts, hahaha. We're just over it.

I have a rule that I don't join FB!:yes:

Specializes in Med/Surg, Women's Health, LTC.
Best way is to not have a Facebook account at all...

I am with you. I have ZERO social media and I am not bothered by it at all. I know way too many people who have been fired or reprimanded for things they have online.

I have a friend in management and they employ people to scour social media accounts of prospective employees. Drunken posts/rants/nasty things have all cost people a chance with him and his business.

It depends on how well I know them and if I want to be friends with them - I do have a handful that I consider good friends - we hang out on occasion, see them at school events, our kids hang out together, etc. There are also some I work with that I want nothing to do with at work let alone outside of work - so I would not be FB friends with them - if they sent a request I would ignore it.

I work as a school nurse and sometimes parents will do a FB friend request - I just ignore it. I am FB friends with a few of my students parents but that is because I am neighbors with them or I became friends with them before I had my current position.

+ Add a Comment