How do you deal with someone trying to get you fired?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I work in a SNF, usually on the LTC side of things. Recently, I have noticed that certain coworkers have been acting differently towards me. Today I received a call from the head of my department expressing 'concerns' that had been brought to her. Apparently, there have been people coming to her and saying bad things about me, all of which are untrue, with dashes of honesty thrown in. Apparently, I am "bringing in excessive baggage in order to steal resident items" and am "looking at Mediaographic material on facility computers". Both are lies, of course, but the way that it was phrased by my department head was exactly the same way only one other person has said it before. One of my direct supervisors. IMO, this nurse has been dismissive & exclusionatory towards me since my first day.

I occasionally bring in some of my own supplies, as the facility fails to do so, even after MULTIPLE EMPLOYEE COMPLAINTS that they lacked the necessary items to do their jobs. How, for example, are you supposed to change a soiled brief when you have no wipes, or even washcloths, to do so? Or when you lack clean briefs to put on them? Despite complaints to the facility administration, and company administration, as well as the state's department of health, NOTHING has been done.

The only time ny tablet gets turned on is when I'm on my break (in the break room, BTW), and all I do is check my e-mail, Facebook, and Twitter. If I step away, I make sure that it is password locked (as I explained to my department supervisor), so for anyone to even see what I was looking at would be impossible. I made it a habit after an ex decided they were going to break into my home and go on a rampage before stealing, amongst other things, my phone, which they then used to make threatening calls and send nasty text messages in my name.

But, of course, I am the bad guy here, right? I MUST be doing these things because a supervisory nurse made the claim. And the fact that this call happens the night after I work with her seems to reaffirm my suspicions.

It makes me worried because I was actually due for an annual evaluation and possibly a raise before this, and certain things have come to light through the rumor mill lately. The facility is in serious financial trouble. They do not have adequate staff (4 CNAs & 3 nurses for over 100 patients/residents during 11P-7A) as the vast majority of staff are quitting based on how they are treated), they owe so much money to the company approved plumber ($30K) that they had to hire one under the table to do work for them, and that they even switched companies to put down carpet in the facility hallways after the company that did the therapy area is still waiting on their $50K from over 5 years ago.

Should I even bother with this place anymore? I have been applying at other places, but so far with no luck. But this raises some serious concerns as to my future in the field. Am I going to get fired on the word of someone who doesn't like me? Am I going to end up unemployed when the bank comes in and hangs a forclosure notice on the front door?

Pretty much at a loss as to if I should just cut my losses and go, or just what I should do. Any advice would be appreciated.

Specializes in Hospice, corrections, psychiatry, rehab, LTC.

Sounds like a very toxic workplace. If coworkers can make unfounded allegations and they are believed by supervisors, that is tough to overcome. If I were in that situation, I would find somewhere else to work.

If you plan to tough it out, I suggest the following:

1. Stop bringing in supplies. That isn't your place, and if you don't bring anything in, coworkers have nothing to make allegations about.

2. Leave the tablet at home. Give them nothing to talk about.

I would wash my hands of the place

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

Get it in writing so you can formally refute it. Then follow Orca and Triddin's very sound advice.

Specializes in Psych, Corrections, Med-Surg, Ambulatory.

You are clearly seeing the writing on the wall. Connect the dots: the company is in serious financial trouble - you are due for a raise - you get accused of heinous behaviour. By the time you get fired and go after them for wrongful dismissal, they'll have shut down and there will be nothing to go after. You'll just have to get in the long line of creditors.

Save yourself. This facility sounds like a terrible place to work and now they're accusing you of things. Burger-flipping, latte-brewing and even dumpster-diving would be more attractive to me at this point. Get whatever job you can until you find something more suitable. When you get asked why you left your last job? "They were having financial difficulties and their future was too uncertain."

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Specializes in Case manager, float pool, and more.
Sounds like a very toxic workplace. If coworkers can make unfounded allegations and they are believed by supervisors, that is tough to overcome. If I were in that situation, I would find somewhere else to work.

If you plan to tough it out, I suggest the following:

1. Stop bringing in supplies. That isn't your place, and if you don't bring anything in, coworkers have nothing to make allegations about.

2. Leave the tablet at home. Give them nothing to talk about.

I would wash my hands of the place

Get it in writing so you can formally refute it. Then follow Orca and Triddin's very sound advice.

Ditto the above 3 posters.

Specializes in ICU, LTACH, Internal Medicine.

2 weeks note, doctor's note leave for the rest of the time due to some (just a little) overblown symptoms "probably related to extreme stress brought by continuous perception of workplace abuse" (yes, a provider can write it down like it).

Run for your life. These people do not deserve you

Start applying elsewhere immediately.

Pretty much at a loss as to if I should just cut my losses and go, or just what I should do. Any advice would be appreciated.

Run! Run like hell!!!

Specializes in Psych ICU, addictions.

Like everyone else has said, it's time for you to get out of Dodge ASAP. I think things are so far gone there that there's not really anything worth saving.

If you're having trouble finding work, sign on with a registry/agency so you can resign from Dodge and pick up work while you look for your next full-time job.

Specializes in LTC.
2 weeks note, doctor's note leave for the rest of the time due to some (just a little) overblown symptoms "probably related to extreme stress brought by continuous perception of workplace abuse" (yes, a provider can write it down like it).

Run for your life. These people do not deserve you

Exactly! (I always enjoy reading your responses btw!)

Hmmm. I agree with the above posters. This sounds like a toxic workplace.

Having been through a recent experience with a colleague who was hell-bent on making my life miserable, the one piece of advice I can offer you is this: Do your job and do it well. Do it to the best of your ability. That way, whether you willingly choose to leave your workplace or are forced out via being fired or laid off, you have a hope of getting good references from the few honest staff with integrity who work at your facility.

Another thing you could try is to show your supervisor/in-charge person exactly what items you are bringing in your bag at the start of each shift and taking with you when you leave. That will potentially eliminate speculation from anyone who may be trying to tarnish your reputation. However, it should never really come to that. If the staff don't trust you, for perceived or real reasons, even offering "proof" that you're not stealing or bringing in contraband items may not help.

I agree with the other posters that perhaps it is time to start looking for a new job. You don't need the stress of working in a hostile environment. In the interim, do maintain a professional attitude, regardless of how the other staff behave. That will go a long way, even if only for your own peace of mind.

Good luck!!!!

+ Add a Comment