100 mile commute. Worth it?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

1. Which offer should I accept?

Longer commute job
      Shorter commute job

75 members have participated

Specializes in ICU, CCU.

Hello, I have been searching for an PRN ICU position in my area, while I am currently in school to finish my BSN online. I was offered a position for a ICU position PRN/Days at a hospital that is 50 miles away, 50-60 minute commute, one way. I have a 2013 vehicle that runs 28-30 mpg.

What I like about this position is that there are no weekend requirements (shifts are FCFS when scheduling), that I can pick up as many shifts as I desire, technically, beyond my required minimum of 4 shifts, and that I can still gain critical care experience.

I have another PRN offer which is Float (between med-surg and ICU) Nights, with a requirement of 8 shifts a month, with 3 weekend shifts required in it, and in which I would drive 15-20 minutes to work.

Considering my baby (aka my vehicle), me not dozing off on the road to and from work, etc. what offer should I take? I am leaning towards the longer commute one. Any advice or support from your experience would be so helpful! Thanks!

After working my twelve hour shifts, sometimes it is all I can do to keep my eyes open on my ten minute bus ride home.

Just my opinion though!

Specializes in Home Health,Dialysis, MDS, School Nurse.

I picked the longer commute because you said it was days. Rarely am I so tired after a day shift, even a 12 hour one, that I can't stay awake on the drive home. I've worked several jobs in our neighboring town which is 46 miles away. I didn't like the drive, but I had to do it 3-5 times a week. PRN days would be perfect.

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

Be wary of prn "requiring" a number of shifts...they usually do the schedule and fill in the blanks with prn so it's unlikely they'll let you pick 8 shifts at your convenience and fill in the blanks with permanent staff.

Be wary of prn "requiring" a number of shifts...they usually do the schedule and fill in the blanks with prn so it's unlikely they'll let you pick 8 shifts at your convenience and fill in the blanks with permanent staff.

My experience has been the opposite. PRN gives available days and full time staff is scheduled around them ...unless there's enough full time staff, in which case PRNs may be excluded for being scheduled on a particular day.

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.
My experience has been the opposite. PRN gives available days and full time staff is scheduled around them ...unless there's enough full time staff, in which case PRNs may be excluded for being scheduled on a particular day.

I'm jealous...

I'm jealous...

I was too, and that's why I found myself a PRN job.

Do you want all the extra miles on your vehicle? You did call it your baby, after-all.

I have another PRN offer which is Float (between med-surg and ICU) Nights, with a requirement of 8 shifts a month, with 3 weekend shifts required in it, and in which I would drive 15-20 minutes to work.

No way. For NO benefits, no seniority accrual and what is likely to be a minimal $/hr bump (if any) over the regular pay rate, I'd be looking for an absolute minimum as far as requirements. That IS the remaining benefit of being per diem. Float, work nights, weekends, and 2 days a week instead of 3? Nope.

I had the same issue, kind of. I interviewed for a position in my town with a two minute commute. I knew I would be miserable there, and when they called to let me know that I was not offered the position but they had an opening for me at a hospital 55 miles away in the unit I wanted, I jumped at the chance. I haven't looked back and I am SO happy. I'm from Southern California, so I can honestly laugh at a commute that is only one hour! However, I am getting used to the snow/ice/freezing temperatures in my new state. Yuck!

Specializes in Med-Surg, NICU.

That second one is a PT job disguised as a PRN gig. Eight shifts per month? Three weekend shift requirements?

I work full-time. In a typical four-week month, I work 12 shifts with two of them being weekend. Only two months a year do I work two full weekends.

My PRN job requires 48 hours every six weeks with one weekend shift (it can be four hours). I can mix up the 48 hours however I like. PRN workers at my FT job only need to work three 12s with one being a weekend shift.

That second PRN job is screwing you over, but that first one has an awful commute. I would keep looking.

If it's PRN, I'd just take the long commute. I worked 3 12s (not prn) traveling 45 miles one way early in my career. You work when you want...wear down the care when you want.

+ Add a Comment