Influenza vaccine

Nurses Education

Published

It seems to me that there is this stigma and misconceptions when it comes to the flu vaccine. Many people seem to be jaded by getting the vaccine when they believe that the flu shot makes them sick. Also many of the general staff at the hospital are upset that they're basically forced into getting a shot, if not forced to wear a mask throughout the entire flu season. I have people that tell me that they get sick after receiving the vaccine weeks if not months after receiving the shot. Many of the nurses that I work with refuse the vaccine swearing that they get sick after the shot. I know that the vaccine is definitely not full proof as there different strains of influenza so taking the shot seems like a gamble. What are some of your thoughts? Personally I don't have a problem with getting the flu shot.

Specializes in Pediatric Critical Care.
Yes, apparently they cure cancer but do NOT call them pits!! We were informed that it's not the same thing. The kernel is IN the pit. And Vitamin C cures everything. And chemo nurses are in it for the money.

So THATs where the money in nursing is...I was wondering...

i get it, never got sick, get them for my son also especially since he was a premie and he's always been good also

Specializes in Certified Vampire and Part-time Nursing Student.

This happens a lot in the nursing home I work... POA/ family refuses flu vaccine because "Grandma is so fragile right now we don't know how it will effect her!" Meanwhile she's one illness from kicking the bucket and it's flu season so everyone's sick, most of the residents are sick, sick visitors coming in and out coughing all over the residents, some of the staff even is sick and it's just a matter of time before she catches it and hopefully she will be able to recover from it. But god forbid she is too fragile to be vaccinated. :sarcastic:

Specializes in kids.
Yes, apparently they cure cancer but do NOT call them pits!! We were informed that it's not the same thing. The kernel is IN the pit. And Vitamin C cures everything. And chemo nurses are in it for the money.

:roflmao:

Specializes in allergy and asthma, urgent care.

And there's the cabbage juice "cure-all". Apparently it's even better than breast milk for babies.

A Close Examination of the Jilly Juice Protocol – A Cult Brainwashed Into Believing Jilly Juice Can Reverse Cancer and Downs Syndrome

Crazy can be dangerous.

Don't forget that flax seed and cottage cheese can cure cancer -- Big Medicine and Big Pharma are keeping that hushed up because they want to make money off everyone dying of cancer.

By occupation, early season flu vaccination coverage was highest among pharmacists (86.7%), nurse practitioners/physician assistants (85.8%), physicians (82.2%), nurses (81.4%), and other clinical professionals (72.0%).

Flu vaccination coverage was lowest among administrative and non-clinical support staff (59.1%) and assistants or aides (46.6%).

By work setting, early season flu vaccination coverage was highest among health care personnel working in hospitals (78.7%).

Flu vaccination coverage was lowest among health care personnel working in long-term care facilities (54.4%).

Specializes in Trauma, Teaching.
I just have an added note on the idea that the flu shot can "make you sick". It is indeed a recombent virus. We have additional education we give to our hem-onc population. I have given the vaccine to patients with an ANC of 300 before (between chemo cycles). The virus may only be 20% effective, but if I can keep 20% of my severely immuno-compromised patients from getting the flu, I'll consider it a success.

Flu Shots and Immunizations | Leukemia and Lymphoma Society

My oncologist told me to go ahead and get the shot, but I just felt so sick with all the chemo I decided not to (didn't want the immune reaction). Yeah. Dec 2014 in hospital for a week with Flu A, oxygen, cellulitis, 104 fever and chills, etc.

Get the {***} shot!

Even if it had only made the symptoms less severe it would have been worth it.

I get a flu shot every year. Every year I get sick with fever, chills, cough, muscle aches approximately 24 hours after the shot and it lasts for 48 hours. I plan for this so I am not scheduled to work.

This reminds me of a funny story that happened to me the other day. I was at Walgreen's at the pharmacy counter. The pharmacy techs are asking everyone if they would like a flu shot. They used facts (80,000 people died from the flu last year) and perks (it's free for almost every insurance). The lady in front of me was picking up a ton of medication for herself and her young children including blood pressure medication, diabetes medication, and asthma medication. To the flu shot question, she says "I don't need that. The good lord Jesus Christ will keep me safe." I commended the pharmacy tech on not rolling her eyes and not pointing out that JC wasn't helping her with her weight, diabetes, or asthma.

I get a flu shot every year. Every year I get sick with fever, chills, cough, muscle aches approximately 24 hours after the shot and it lasts for 48 hours. I plan for this so I am not scheduled to work.

This reminds me of a funny story that happened to me the other day. I was at Walgreen's at the pharmacy counter. The pharmacy techs are asking everyone if they would like a flu shot. They used facts (80,000 people died from the flu last year) and perks (it's free for almost every insurance). The lady in front of me was picking up a ton of medication for herself and her young children including blood pressure medication, diabetes medication, and asthma medication. To the flu shot question, she says "I don't need that. The good lord Jesus Christ will keep me safe." I commended the pharmacy tech on not rolling her eyes and not pointing out that JC wasn't helping her with her weight, diabetes, or asthma.

Yeah, the good lord was TRYING to keep her safe by making it easy, convenient and free to get the flu shot.

Yeah, the good lord was TRYING to keep her safe by making it easy, convenient and free to get the flu shot.

I'm reminded of the old joke about the person caught in a terrible flood. The water is coming up over the porch of the house, and a neighbor comes by in a rowboat and asks if he needs help getting out of there. He says, "No, I'm fine, I don't need any help, I trust in God to save me." The neighbor eventually gives up and goes on. The water rises higher, and it's up to the second story of the house. Somebody comes by in a powerboat, hollers in through the second story window, says, "C'mon, let me get you out of here. You're in danger!" The man says, no, God will rescue him, he doesn't need any help. The people on the boat try to reason with him, but he tells them to go on. Eventually, he's up on the roof of the house and the water is up to the roof level of the house. A state helicopter comes by and tries to rescue him and he refuses any help, tells them he trusts in God to save him, sends them away. Eventually, he's swept away in the flood and drowns, and ends up in heaven. When he sees God, he says, "What happened? I trusted in you all my life, and when I really needed help, where were you? Why didn't you rescue me? And God says, "What do you mean? I sent you a rowboat, a powerboat, and helicopter ..."

Specializes in Psych, Corrections, Med-Surg, Ambulatory.

Or you could argue that he is helping her with her blood pressure, diabetes and asthma and could help prevent flu if she'd let him.

+ Add a Comment