Manager Insists....

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in Critical Care Emergency Room.

On a new position for 7 months....last week the manager told me that to comply with the policy day shift nurses (12 hour) stay on the unit until 1930. Typically in a high acuity area after you give report and check in with the patient you can leave. The manager derives her view from those 7 minutes totaled up are a lot of hours of wasted labor. So even after clocking out at 1923 she wants nurses to stay.I point out that the unit is steady and many of us have lives which benefit from leaving a few minutes after report is completed...and yet she is adamant and insistent. I pointed out that I will have to pull back from full time to a .6 next year. She was clearly shocked.

First time in 25 years as an RN I've ever heard of this. Anyone else?

Specializes in Med/Surge, Psych, LTC, Home Health.

Well, then you definitely should be clocking out at 1930 then, not 1923.

If you are expected to be there and be on duty... a lot can happen in

seven minutes.

Other than that, I don't see that an extra seven minutes is that big

of a deal. I understand the part about having a busy life, believe

me. I have a 10 year old, and a 15 year old daughter who would

just as soon I never left her side! But... it's seven minutes.

OTOH, it is a high acuity unit? So, if someone happens to code

within that seven minutes... you are expected to help with the code,

and then you are stuck there for a while. So in that regard, I

see your point. If it were a lower acuity unit, or a nursing home

it would be different.

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.

If she wants you to stay until 1930, then you should not clock out until 1930. I think she's being ridiculous, personally. Pick your battles.

Specializes in ER.

I think you are sweating the small stuff here.

Specializes in Critical Care Emergency Room.

I've just never heard of it. Managers typically will be flexible. If something happens there are plenty of nurses to help out. I wonder if I told her that after the year (to repay 25k relo) I'll be leaving if that would make it easier. Sometimes I will only have one patient at the end of a shift. Its a nice feeling to get home early. =)

I honestly have never heard of it either.

Specializes in ER.

You are dealing with a time obsessed soul. I know, because time is my personal hang up. Humor her...

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
I've just never heard of it.

At Wrongway Regional Medical Center, the Director of the Psych side vacillates from allowing us to to clock out at 0723, to staying until 0730, to contacting the CEO if we have one minute of overtime!

I just usually clock in at 1853 and clock out anywhere from 0723 to 07whatever.

On a new position for 7 months....last week the manager told me that to comply with the policy day shift nurses (12 hour) stay on the unit until 1930. Typically in a high acuity area after you give report and check in with the patient you can leave. The manager derives her view from those 7 minutes totaled up are a lot of hours of wasted labor. So even after clocking out at 1923 she wants nurses to stay.I point out that the unit is steady and many of us have lives which benefit from leaving a few minutes after report is completed...and yet she is adamant and insistent. I pointed out that I will have to pull back from full time to a .6 next year. She was clearly shocked.

First time in 25 years as an RN I've ever heard of this. Anyone else?

So she doesn't like rounding in the employee's favor, but she's probably OK with rounding in the employer's favor? Maybe she needs to make changes and pay by the minute, instead ...or the second. She sounds like a petty moron. I probably wouldn't quit a job if that were the only issue, but it would definitely annoy me.

Specializes in Oncology.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect someone to stay for the entirety of their shift. Shift change is a big risk time for falls at my facility. If day shift is there til 7:30 that could give nightshift a chance to look over charts or pull meds while days still has eyes on the unit, and vice versa in the morning. But you should absolutely be clocking out the time you leave.

Specializes in tele, ICU, CVICU.

if you're on the unit floor you must be clocked in. Heaven forbid you or a colleague injure yourself at work and you have already clocked out, time clock shows you as off-duty.

I have seen the 7 minute window at quite a different facilities.

Good luck; she sounds like a peach!!! :-)

+ Add a Comment