Cadaver Labs at Disney Resorts!

Nurses Headlines

Published

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

Special Report: At a hotel near you - Cadavers in the banquet room | Reuters

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Florida (Reuters) - Just outside the operating theater, the organizers of a medical conference wore Minnie Mouse ears.

This is really disturbing. Sanitation. Biohazard.

UGH!

I think I'm actually OK with this for some reason. There's a lot of "could" and "would" and "might" floating around in the story ...but nothing ever actually happens. The only thing that made me feel yucky was someone with a soiled arm and no sink to wash it in ...but that's the account of a reporter writing a sensational article and I'm not sure I find it credible.

Shrug. Every year paramedics and ED personnel in the county I used to work in had a cadaver lab that was held in the main conference room of the hospital. Same place the CEOs would meet and other seminars were held. Every precaution was taken in terms of the potential biohazard. Those labs provided invaluable experience for me and made me a better practitioner.

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).

"In this case, doctors practiced nerve root blocks and other procedures on cadavers in one of the Grand Harbor ballroom's salons at Disney's Yacht & Beach Club Resorts convention center. Online, Disney refers to its ballrooms as 'regal and resplendent.'"

This sounds almost as good as Disney on Ice!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25446[/ATTACH]

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.
I think I'm actually OK with this for some reason. There's a lot of "could" and "would" and "might" floating around in the story ...but nothing ever actually happens. The only thing that made me feel yucky was someone with a soiled arm and no sink to wash it in ...but that's the account of a reporter writing a sensational article and I'm not sure I find it credible.

I've been in the conference area of that very resort in the last year- and there isn't anywhere to wash up unless you leave the conference room and walk down the hall to the public restroom. I think THAT is the part that bothers me. Plus, some wandering kid happening upon this happy scene.

No less disturbing to me than to turn down the covers of the bed in a hotel room to find the bodily fluid 'results' of the previous occupants' stay. On a good day I don't care much for vomitus or seminal fluids. Yes, this has happened to me.

Davey Do: "Disney on Ice"

LOLOLOLOL!

Specializes in ED, CTICU, Flight.

I attended a cadaver lab in a hotel ballroom earlier this year. The floors were covered wall to wall with plastic, there was no food anywhere near the cadavers, they had a portable hand wash station (with actual soap and water) at the entrance/exit to the room with the cadavers, and everyone wears shoe covers, gowns, gloves, etc just as I have in cadaver labs I've been to that were held at universities.

Specializes in Emergency/Cath Lab.

I think the thing that bugs me the most is all that radiation from the picture. How many C arms with no shielding.

Specializes in Critical Care.

Cadavers are subject to pretty extreme disinfecting procedures. If you're worried about pathogens, a typical carpet, chairs, etc all contain far more pathogens.

Specializes in Critical Care.
I think the thing that bugs me the most is all that radiation from the picture. How many C arms with no shielding.

That's also the one safety concern that struck me.

Specializes in Palliative, Onc, Med-Surg, Home Hospice.

I looked at the photo and the one person in the photo is wearing a lead apron. What I want to know is if they have dosimeters? Regardless of lead aprons, a leaky tube can be bad. Just ask me, my thyroid is fried because I worked at a facility with a leaky tube.

+ Add a Comment