OHSU ABSN 2013 Applicants

U.S.A. Oregon

Published

I didn't see a thread.....although it is quite early yet for some to be thinking about the upcoming application session. I am a senior at Marylhurst/PCC, will be graduating Spring 2013 and applying to OHSU, Duke, and John Hopkins this Fall.

Anyone current students that have advice? Anyone who just applied have any tips for the application? Anyone else applying?

Good Luck to those taking Summer courses!

This was my second time applying. I got waitlisted last year. I focused on working and volunteering in the field and used that experience in the essay.

@garciwarsi, I live in Beaverton too. I've thought about moving closer to school but my man and I really like our place out here. How's the commute? Do you take the bus from Beaverton Transit Center? Thanks!

@ kdrade - I personally have found that accessing OHSU and other associated sites from Beaverton TC has worked great! During the week there is an express bus (#61) that runs between Beaverton TC and OHSU, and it only makes about 4 stops in between. The bus takes about 35 min or so to get to the SON, but only runs during rush hour times (6-8am and 3:30-6pm). If I have to get up to the hill or downtown during the middle of the day I usually take the max to another bus. Either way I never have longer than an hour commute. I usually take a book or articles with me to read while I'm commuting.

I got a letter today stating that I am "highly likely" to get in based on my position on the alternate list! While this is super exciting, I am worried a bit about the financial side of things. I will get a very small amount from stafford loans, so I'll have to go the private loan route, including a substantial amount for living expenses (I own a house). I'm afraid I will miss out on most scholarship deadlines if I do eventually get in....any advice on private loans/other financing?

I got a letter today stating that I am "highly likely" to get in based on my position on the alternate list! While this is super exciting I am worried a bit about the financial side of things. I will get a very small amount from stafford loans, so I'll have to go the private loan route, including a substantial amount for living expenses (I own a house). I'm afraid I will miss out on most scholarship deadlines if I do eventually get in....any advice on private loans/other financing?[/quote']

I also got a letter stating that I am highly likely! I am excited but also have very mixed feelings. I've been accepted into linfield which starts 6/3 and already accepted my spot and financial aid packet from there. I imagine we find out mid may? I wonder what our chances are! Crossing my fingers for good news :-)

I also got a letter stating that I am highly likely! I am excited but also have very mixed feelings. I've been accepted into linfield which starts 6/3 and already accepted my spot and financial aid packet from there. I imagine we find out mid may? I wonder what our chances are! Crossing my fingers for good news :-)

the woman in admissions I talked to insinuated that "highly likely" was basically an in.....although nothing is 100% until you get an acceptance letter. She also said that they won't start accepting alternates until after the decision deadline for currently accepted students passes (2 weeks from Monday I believe). So hopefully we will know by the first week in May :)

Specializes in Pediatrics, Women's Health, Primary Care.

We have to mail in forms and our deposit check by May 1st- so I imagine a few days after that. I hope that you both get in and find out soon!!

Hi everyone,

I am also an alternate. Yesterday, I received my letter in the mail stating I am on the "highly likely" to be accepted list. Just like the others in the same boat as me, I really hope we hear early to mid-May so I can better plan my finances. First, of course, I'm just hoping I get an acceptance! I hope we all get the spots we want, and I look forward to meeting my future classmates if I get in! The wait continues...

Hi everyone,

I am also an alternate. Yesterday, I received my letter in the mail stating I am on the "highly likely" to be accepted list. Just like the others in the same boat as me, I really hope we hear early to mid-May so I can better plan my finances. First, of course, I'm just hoping I get an acceptance! I hope we all get the spots we want, and I look forward to meeting my future classmates if I get in! The wait continues...

yep .. right there with all of you.

Wonder how many is on the "highly likely" list

yep .. right there with all of you.

Wonder how many is on the "highly likely" list

Hopefully just a handful of us! ;)

But, really, I have no idea.

I'm another "highly likely".. looking forward to knowing for sure!!

reginaphalange9 - This was my second time applying. I was on the alternate list last year and did not get offered a spot in the end. This time, I got accepted for the fall cohort. I already had all my prereqs done, so my grades were the same. I called admissions last fall and asked them how I could improve my application for the next year. They gave me some very helpful feedback on my essay. I also did some additional volunteer work, which I spoke about in my essay.

+ Add a Comment