Please read and respond. Way depressed.

Nurses Stress 101

Published

I posted a cpl days ago about having extreme anxiety issues with depression sinking in. New grad feeling like nursing career was a mistake. On top of the stress and responsibility of learning my new career. Nursing school is not a true test of what you can handle and does not give you an opportunity to take full responsibility so you can see if its something one can manage. Now that I am faced with the fact that I am a licensed RN and will be taking my own patients after orientation is enough to send me into extreme anxiety. I am having a transitional crisis. Cant find a doc to see me any time soon and I cant keep taking trips to the ER. I am barley eating once a day and cant play with my daughter or do anything other that lay in bed. Wish I could rewind the clocks 4 years and scratch wanting to be a nurse. I don't care if ppl say I haven't given it a chance or not. I know this is something I don't want to do. On top of it all i just plain miss my daughter. Iv let my family down and feel like a bum. I don't have any experience so hoping for a job that isn't direct patient care or something like school nurse is a bust. I feel like i need to take an emotional holiday and look at my options which are scant. Is there anything I can do to turn my ADN into something else so that I can provide for my family. My husband works but does not make a whole bunch and he is extremely upset and disappointed with me. So much so I feel it appropriate to take my daughter and move in with my dad until I can get treatment and find a career that nerves and lifestyle can handle. I really let my husband down.

Specializes in Forensic Psych.

PMing you.

You need medical assistance, now, not a nursing forum. Best of luck.

I posted a cpl days ago about having extreme anxiety issues with depression sinking in. New grad feeling like nursing career was a mistake. On top of the stress and responsibility of learning my new career. Nursing school is not a true test of what you can handle and does not give you an opportunity to take full responsibility so you can see if its something one can manage. Now that I am faced with the fact that I am a licensed RN and will be taking my own patients after orientation is enough to send me into extreme anxiety. I am having a transitional crisis. Cant find a doc to see me any time soon and I cant keep taking trips to the ER. I am barley eating once a day and cant play with my daughter or do anything other that lay in bed. Wish I could rewind the clocks 4 years and scratch wanting to be a nurse. I don't care if ppl say I haven't given it a chance or not. I know this is something I don't want to do. On top of it all i just plain miss my daughter. Iv let my family down and feel like a bum. I don't have any experience so hoping for a job that isn't direct patient care or something like school nurse is a bust. I feel like i need to take an emotional holiday and look at my options which are scant. Is there anything I can do to turn my ADN into something else so that I can provide for my family. My husband works but does not make a whole bunch and he is extremely upset and disappointed with me. So much so I feel it appropriate to take my daughter and move in with my dad until I can get treatment and find a career that nerves and lifestyle can handle. I really let my husband down.

Oh Boy, you have got quite a few issues here, number one is your mental health is clearly declining and you need to take care of yourself pronto. Whether all this has anything to with your new role as nurse has yet to be determined, those questions are best answered after you get some help and get yourself and your family life under control.

Nursing is not for everyone, and no nursing school is not a good representation of what nursing is actually like, but there are some things that are intrinsic to nursing itself and those things don't change...such as taking care of people and their problems. If you can pinpoint what it was during nursing school that you liked to do then maybe you can carve out a position for yourself somwhere down the road, but right now it is imperitive that you put yourself before this job and get someone to help you.

Get Well...

Specializes in Oncology; medical specialty website.

you need to see a doctor asap. if you're that depressed and anxious, you may need some medication until your mood stabilizes. you would definitely benefit from seeing a therapist; maybe your doctor can refer you to someone. in the interim, it sounds like you really need to be on some medication, at least temporarily.

you can't look at another career until you get yourself straightened out. get. help. now.

Specializes in Trauma, Emergency.

Please get help, take care of yourself. Your mental health is no less important than your physical health, and it sounds like you're not feeling so hot these days. Please see a doc STAT and love yourself. sending you good vibes.

Specializes in FNP, ONP.

My answer is the same as it was on your other thread. Seek a behavioral health consult immediately.

Totally agree with other posters. Being a new nurse is so overwhelming. Take one step at a time. Take one day at a time. Do definately get some help immediately.

You have a whole online community here for you as well. Don't give up. It will be okay.

It will all work out one way or another. Take a deep breath ... and another ... and another.

Take one hour at a time if you need to and Breath.

It will be okay.

Specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.

You will feel the same wayno matter what career you do, especially if this is all due to inability to separate from your daughter. Get help.

I also had very bad anxiety when I first started working. I would be on the verge of panic attacks. But part of it was the job I had taken. They weren't very supportive of new grads and I barely got an orientation. So I found a new job where they really seemed to support new grads, and I got 8 weeks of orientation. Did you take a break after nursing school? If not, that may be part of your problem. Nursing school is awful. I think everyone should take at least a month before beginning work. But I know that may not be possible for everyone due to financial reasons. Best of luck to you.

Wow you seem like you are in a mess! Sometimes in the beginning I felt OVERWHELMING ANXIETY, but I usually used to feel that way all the time in new experiences, I would routinely lose about 10lbs in less than a month from not eating. THe more I went through anything the more I could handle it, including nursing. Your husband is so upset you are about to leave him to go live with your dad? What if your dad reacts the same way as your husband? Plenty of adults would. Especially if this is the first they are hearing about your dislike of nursing etc. How do you generally react to new jobs/ life situtations in the past? I think LD/LTC are not great places for most new grads. Can you switch into a med surg floor where you work now? How long have you been working ? I felt TERRIBLE and couldnt eat/sleep do anything well for about 3-4 months,maybe more , i try not to remember that period, mostly because of my job but also because or relocating.

Specializes in kids.

please talk to someone asap. especially your family! give them a chance to care for you...but you also need to see your pcp or a mental health person, your clergy...maybe an instructor? someone who can help you access the care you need. please if you feel like you are in danger of hurting yourself or someone else call a suicide hotline....i will be thinking of you.

+ Add a Comment