Stony Brook Accelerated BSN class of 2013

U.S.A. New York

Published

Hey all! Just wanted to lend my support to anyone else who is applying to SB next summer! It's a grueling process :-)):yeah:

whats important is that you have it when they accept US!!

Right OK, thanks guys your the best! :) what program did you guys use to take the cert? there are so many!

Right OK, thanks guys your the best! :) what program did you guys use to take the cert? there are so many!

I went to Long Island Rescue Services. I don't think I'm allowed to post the website on here, but you can google it.

American Heart Association BLS with AED where i work

You're welcome guys! I actually applied to the 2 year, Farmingdale, Molloy, and Nassau and Suffolk as ultimate back ups. A VERY good friend of mine is an Occupational Therapist who can get me a job as an Associate Nurse if I get into an AS program but not a Bachelor program. I want to pursue a graduate education so a BSN is necessary eventually, so I would prefer not to take the step back to Associates degree, but if I get into one of those programs, I will take it. I heard good things back from Farmingdale, so I'm hoping they take me there, but StonyBrook is still my number 1. I'm hoping I have better luck with the 2-year program!

Good Luck Guys! I will be waiting here at my computer until 5pm today to find out if I have been (rejected or) accepted into Emory's nursing program.

LEt us know dollface, and again thank u for the motivation! as for kitkat, did u hear back from sb?

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum and actually never came across it until just recently after I found out my decision. I applied to both the 1 and 2 year program at Stony Brook because this is my top choice for nursing schools. I was recently e-mailed my decision this Monday for the 1 year program, stating that I was placed on the Alternate List. At first I took this as a complete denial but now although I am still very upset, I am still hopeful, but not getting my hopes up too much.

I graduated from Stony Brook with a Bachelor's Degree in Social Welfare and I absolutely loved attending the school.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing more about everyone's experiences and hopefully one day I will be able to meet some of you! Good luck to everyone! :nurse:

Hello I have been reading this thread as I will be applying this coming fall for the following summer. I am already so anxious sbu accelerated program is my top choice but I don't want to get my hopes up. I am getting my bachelors in psych this may and then will be finishing up my pre-reqs at Suffolk. For the past two years I have been working in for a psychiatrist (mainly just office work) but still have been able to learn a lot and it has been a good experience. The doctor I work for is a sbu alumni and has also worked in their psych unit so I most likely will use him as one of my references. Reading all of your post it seems so hard to tell what exactly they are looking for! If anyone could give any advise that would help me when I start the application process this fall I would greatly appreciate it thanks! :-) and good luck to everyone who got accepted for this summer!

Specializes in ICU / PCU / Telemetry / Oncology.
Hello I have been reading this thread as I will be applying this coming fall for the following summer. I am already so anxious sbu accelerated program is my top choice but I don't want to get my hopes up. I am getting my bachelors in psych this may and then will be finishing up my pre-reqs at Suffolk. For the past two years I have been working in for a psychiatrist (mainly just office work) but still have been able to learn a lot and it has been a good experience. The doctor I work for is a sbu alumni and has also worked in their psych unit so I most likely will use him as one of my references. Reading all of your post it seems so hard to tell what exactly they are looking for! If anyone could give any advise that would help me when I start the application process this fall I would greatly appreciate it thanks! :-) and good luck to everyone who got accepted for this summer!

From my extensive experience with Stony Brook (given the fact that I was waitlisted-turn-denied in 2010 to being accepted in 2011 and slated to graduate from the program [fingers crossed] in 2012 ... just 3 months from now) ... I still have not been able to figure out their formula for accepting students! Our accelerated class has a wide variety of students and clearly just having a high GPA is not a guarantee to acceptance. If I had to pick something to focus on: your essay and your recommendations should be top-notch! They have to convey your passion for nursing and for doing well in the program.

Thanks for getting back to me. I will definitely keep that in mind. I already know I have a lot to say in my essay just hope it's what they are looking for! You are almost done three months will go by in no time I'm sure! How do you like the program are you guaranteed a job once you graduate? Also (if I get accepted) when the program starts I will be 25 I thought that I read they discourage younger students to enter the 1 year program is this true?

Specializes in ICU / PCU / Telemetry / Oncology.
Thanks for getting back to me. I will definitely keep that in mind. I already know I have a lot to say in my essay just hope it's what they are looking for! You are almost done three months will go by in no time I'm sure! How do you like the program are you guaranteed a job once you graduate? Also (if I get accepted) when the program starts I will be 25 I thought that I read they discourage younger students to enter the 1 year program is this true?

The program is great. It has its bureaucratic moments just like any other school, particularly being a SUNY school. Having attended another SUNY school before this one kind of prepared me for a revisiting of a lot of that, so I am sometimes not surprised by the lack of expediency on certain things. But that's not to dilute the fact that the school is doing a great job of preparing you to pass the boards AND become a very competent nurse. I am personally looking forward to the end of the program already, just because I want to re$ume a working life :)

There is no guarantee of a job after you graduate, one has to go through the same motions as any other new grad to get a job. However, being a Stony Brook graduate IS a definite advantage in pursuing a job @ Stony Brook Univ Hospital. They do love hiring their own, that is what I have heard. Besides, students get the opportunity to do some or all of their clinicals at Stony Brook, so it's your best chance to get to know people there.

I'd say at least half my class consists of students in their 20's, so what you have heard about discouraging younger students is not true. Older students in their 30's, 40's and 50's exist in my program, but I'd say they make up about one-third of the class, if not close to half. I am quite certain this age breakdown is quite static and unpredictable, varying yearly depending on the applicant pool.

+ Add a Comment