University of Phoenix MSN Program

Nursing Students School Programs

Published

:welcome:

I would like to use this thread for all of us attending or having attended UofP.

I am going to begin classes in August of this year in the MSN/ED program.

I would love to hear from different people who are in different stages of the program and what they have liked and hated.

I AM NOT INTERESTED IN HEARING FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE NOT GONE THROUGH THE PROGRAM AND ONLY WANT TO SAY BAD THINGS ABOUT THE SCHOOL.

I hope other U of P alumni will get involved and help us with any sticky situations that arise and offer their wisdom.

Thanks,

Hi Lisa, I am from Canada and did both my BSN and MSN (finished July/10) with UOP. I am not sure about the MSN program but I did find an article from Dec/10 and it stated a BSN from Kaplan cost $33,000 verses the BSN program ay UOP costing $63,000. I just looked at a receipt and at the end of the MSN program classes which most counted for 3 credits cost me $1650.00. Looks like UOP MSN program is $565 per credit now, plus each class you pay $110 for electronic materials. From what I could find tonight it looked like Kaplan's was quite a bit cheaper at $368 a credit. That said I being from Canada initally tried doing my BSN with our Canadian online university and absolutely hated the whole system, it was not user friendly etc. While UOP cost me quite a bit more I in the end obtained both my BSN, MSN and managed to keep my sanity. I can honestly say I have no regrets.

Specializes in Trauma/Critical Care.
Hi Lisa, I am from Canada and did both my BSN and MSN (finished July/10) with UOP. I am not sure about the MSN program but I did find an article from Dec/10 and it stated a BSN from Kaplan cost $33,000 verses the BSN program ay UOP costing $63,000. I just looked at a receipt and at the end of the MSN program classes which most counted for 3 credits cost me $1650.00. Looks like UOP MSN program is $565 per credit now, plus each class you pay $110 for electronic materials. From what I could find tonight it looked like Kaplan's was quite a bit cheaper at $368 a credit. That said I being from Canada initally tried doing my BSN with our Canadian online university and absolutely hated the whole system, it was not user friendly etc. While UOP cost me quite a bit more I in the end obtained both my BSN, MSN and managed to keep my sanity. I can honestly say I have no regrets.

63,000 thousands for a BSN!!:eek:

WHOW...That is what I call commitment to the profession...:yeah:

I obtained my BSN from UOP, and it was only $23,000. Something else to keep in mind when looking into higher education is to figure out which classes can be taken out of the way by attending community colleges...

I'm struggling with this choice right now. I am interested in pursuing an NP career, but the choices are so limited in Canada. I graduated with a BScN in 1998, and have been ER nursing since. I applied to Athabasca, but unfortunately my GPA is well under 3.0. They won't consider me, so I took one of their courses as a non-program student. I then find out, that even that won't get me any closer to being accepted. They don't seem to care about my 12 years of ER nursing experience.

I'm thinking of applying to Phoenix for the Masters, as it sounds like I would likely get it. I like the Asynchronous learning as well, because I work full-time.

Any tips/suggestions around UoP?

I'm also from Canada and did both my BSN (2006) and my MSN (2010) with UOP with no regrets. I'm in the Ottawa, Ont., area and throughout both degrees often had other Canadian nurses in the same class. I have seen where it has been questioned as to whether a US online degree is recognized and for example one nurse taking her MSN worked at Toronto Sick Children's Hospital and the hospital was paying her tuition. I will email you with my contact numbers as I would be more that happy to speak with you and answer any questions.

Specializes in Case Management, Home Care, ICU, BMT,.

I just started the MSN/Informatics program at UoP. I really want to do this program, but administration at UoP is making it very difficult. I'm told one story in the AM, the opposite in the PM and another the next day. I have complained to the Financial Supervisor, who seemed very unconcerned and basically told me that maybe I really didn't want to do this! And this is after I tried calling several times, only to be told that the entire state of AZ was having phone difficulties!

I'm currently in HCS 504. Has anybody else found this course annoying and the questions intrusive? I have gone to grad school before, so maybe it's just me.

This has me so annoyed and frustrated that I ducked into a stairwell at work and had a good cry over it. I told the Financial Supervisor that. She said "What do you want me to do about that?" Every time I suggested something, she said "No, I can't do that." One of the things I wanted done was to change my Academic Advisor--who wasn't sure what program I was in, and the Financial Advisor, who was telling me stories. She wouldn't do that either. At least she was able to put me on the "Don't call list."

Several co-workers go to UoP and insist that this is not the usual UoP experience. If so, why am I being singled out?

Thanks for the help.

I was exempted from HSC 504 as part of my MSN program as I had did my BSN with UOP. I was very fortunate in that my academic advisor's (I had a switch of advisors part way through the BSN program but kept the 2nd advisor even though there was a 2 year span from my finishing by BSN and starting the MSN program) were more than helpful. As far as financial advisor all they did was call to see if it was okay to charge my VISA as being from Canada there was no financial aid to deal with. I did hear from some students though that the financial aspect could be painful to deal with.

One issue I did have was one fo the courses I took in the BSN program as an elective would be counted in my MSN program but then when I signed up 2 years later for the MSN program they tried to say it would no longer count but I questioned them on this as the syllabus had not changed and my academic advisor got the class waived and I was given the credit. Even locally I see the universities not wanting to give credit for classes, making students take classes over, seems it is all about money these days.

Quick question, I am interested in the RN-MSN bridge program, but only have 6 months experience, (working LTC) do you think that would be a disadvantage for me? Do I need to have more clinical experience first?

I would like to be a NP (in women's health) in the future, not sure where to start from, any tips/advise?

Hi all. I saw that this thread was started in 2006 so I wanted to ask if there are any people out there currently or recently went to the MSN-FNP program. I am in California.

Specializes in Psychiatric/ER/Primary Clinic/Addiction.

Hi

I felt the same way but the class was just a very rudamentary accounting overview in relation to health care. If you take it as a basic way to balance a budget or design your departments financial reports, it will seem more relevant and not so daunting. I was afraid it would mess my GPA, as well, but I got an A- which was cool with me. Good luck!

Specializes in Psychiatric/ER/Primary Clinic/Addiction.

May I ask where you did your CNS? Was it possible to do it online? I am half way through my MSN Ed. at UOP. Thanks.

Good Luck and thanks for the thread.I am also attending for bsn/msn.I just panicked see phoenix connect legitamacy of school.Whatever negativity there is for online courses.My reply is I never worked so hard,been so stimulated,supported by classmates,faculty, and my advisor is a keyboard tap away.I am a PHOENIX!

I'm thinking about the MSN program at UofP. Is there anyone in houston that graduated from their masters of nursing program who found it difficult to be hired?

+ Add a Comment